Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Best Guitars for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
What I like about the L body Larrivee is the balance. It's been mentioned here that certain guitars offer differing sounds, some projecting more bass, while others middles and highs. The L body seems to my ear to be a good compromise. Slightly smaller than the D body guitars and slightly larger than the OM bodies, it seems to share sound qualities with both. Good volume too. The one I tried had incredible sustain all the way up the fret board. I think it will be my next guitar purchase...and I've been trying a lot of guitars lately. Another guitar that impressed me is the Taylor 414 or it's higher priced equivelents - 514, 714, etc. They also seem to have good balance and volume.

I do love the volume and booming bass that comes from a D body guitar. It just seems that it has a tendency to drown out he higher notes on some guitars.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  2:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Podagee57 ... Mahalo for the comments. Next time I get a chance I will take the 414 out for a spin.

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  4:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmm mmmm. Ya wanna talk about a beauty? Check out the Taylor 815. Prolly the pretiest guitar on the mass produced market. I also love the Martin J40... but it does not come in a cutaway. BUTT!!, I may build one. Been talking to someone who understands my need, and I think I am going to order the mold. Can u imaging a J40, Florentine cutaway? How good is that?

Lemme add this to the requirements list. Get a guitar with a cutaway... really helps with them high notes and chimes.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  5:00:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Try play one Simon & Patrick 12 string. Da fine sounding not expensive.

Hey Wanda ... there is a S&P Woodland 12 string for sale on Craigslist here for $445. I looke on the web but couldn't find too much on pricing. Any idea if this is a good price? Mahalo.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/596737820.html

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:26:53 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good deal to me. My S&P 12 is about 12 years old, but list at that time was $585 without electronics or case. Mine has the cedar top, I don't know how that would change the price.I saw a couple S&P Woodland series 6 strings on web sites, priced from $389 to $429. S&P lists cases as an option, but the TRIC case they sell now looks like the ultimate in cases, at least on their web site.
I don't advocate buying any instrument you can't play first. Buying with the eyes doesn't really float my boat. I'd much rather use my ears and hands to decide. However, this guitar is in Honolulu, which makes that simpler for you, doesn't it? When I first picked up mine, I had played nearly all the lower end 12's in the store, and this shop particularly deals in folk/acoustic instruments. They had a lot of 12 strings, from budget to very expensive. From the first strum,the S&P' sound just seemed to jump right out at me. In a few minutes my wife(wcerto) & I were both convinced. The actual price was about $460 with a cardboard case. But again, that was a slightly diferent model, and a dozen years ago. And no electronics. I'm pretty impressed with the sound of S&P/Seagull guitars. You have to spend 2-3 times the money to get a better sounding guitar. Taylor, Larrivee, the Lowdens Ray Sowders plays, and quite a few other higher end makes I've heard. Nothing I've played under $1200 sounds as good. If money were no object, I would start looking at those and the Grimes Beamer models. But my economic situation doesn't let me indulge my tastes.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 03/07/2008 07:35:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  2:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Paul! Its always good to get input from someone who has been there. I recently added the Seagull S6 + Cedar to my collection mostly because it was a good price, but I find myself using it more then my other guitars because its not in a case and dinging it won't send a shiver down my spine. Its not very balanced, and the fingering is tougher, but still good.

If the wife will let me (major guitar acquisition syndrome), I'll take a look at the S&P. Aloha!

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  2:42:45 PM  Show Profile
This is info for anyone that is interested in but has not actually had a Tric case. I want to help you save your guitar.

Because I have one with my seagull, I can testify that Tric cases are not very good. In fact, they suck! They will actually mark your guitar in shipping or transport because they are not soft inside. It is a plastic shell inside with a cute fuzzy coating. Kind of like tupperware with peach fuzz. The apearance of protection is an illusion.

While the interior looks good, it is in fact very inferior and my guitar has the marks to prove it. The ones that really pi**ed me off were the marks I got on the back of the neck. I also have marks on the sides where it touches the case.

My advise is to pass on this "piece of case" and get one from another company. The only thing the case has going for it is that it is light and looks good...daz it folks!

Yes, this product pushed most of my buttons and I do have a very negative opinoin of Godin for offering it as standard to thier customers.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 03/07/2008 2:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  3:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Bob-

Thanks. I had not heard that from any one.

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  4:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Here's some great slack-key eye candy:

http://luthierscollection.com/

http://guitargal.com/

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:46:04 PM  Show Profile
Ouch! Beautiful guitars. Added the links to my Favorites. Mahalo!

Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Where I come from you was lucky to even have one guitar. But, it sure is more convenient to get a decent guitar that plays well nowadays...
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  01:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey Keoki ... you are right about lucky to have a guitar back then. I was at school one day and one of the older kids came out of a room with an acoustic that he was picking. I couldn't believe the sound. So I went home and asked Ma to buy me a guitar. She didn't want to, but I bugged her over and over. So after a couple of weeks we went to Sears down at Ala Moana - and wouldn't you know they sold guitars. I think it cost $35.00, which was big money for us (1974). That buggah was good - wish I still had it.

Now that I'm getting back into it all these years later, I'm like a kid in a candy store. But the misses keeps me in check. No Kala - No Gita.

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  05:41:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kealii

So after a couple of weeks we went to Sears down at Ala Moana - and wouldn't you know they sold guitars. I think it cost $35.00, which was big money for us (1974). That buggah was good - wish I still had it.

I'm curious.....do you remember the brand and other details?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Iʻve got one...I tink it is HArmony?!? The bridge action was already high so I turned it into Acoustic Steel and my 3/4 inch ratchet deep socket for bar...he go! Doing da same to some ol baritone ukuleleʻs too...steel strings though...tunned to F. kden Keoki
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  1:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Man ... talk about getting in the way back machine. If memory serves me right, it was a Silvertone steel string acoustic. I believe Harmony made the Silvertones with "H" model numbers, but I don't remember the model number of my guitar. I couldn't tell you much more because back then I didn't have a clue about good guitar, bad guitar. I just know it had a good sound. If I remember correctly there was a metallic circle on the headstock that gave off a rainbow effect. Thats the guitar all my uncles taught me what they knew in slack key on.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000