Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Best Guitars for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I had a Harmony that I paid $25 for. I was 16. I was taking lessons in the projects. All my girlfriends were taking lessons. Good thing they had these cheap lessons for us poor folks who lived in the poor neighborhoods. My best friend lived in the projects and told me about it, so once a week I would walk there and learn stuff like Puff the Magic Dragon and House of the Rising Sun. I learned even an arpeggio (is that almost like slack key??) And one time, my girlfriend had her cousin come to the guitar lessons. He had a 12-string EKO guitar. He was very Italian looking with curly hair and a moustache and he was wearing Bermuda shorts. He had very hairy legs. She introduced me to her cousin. Then next week, he was there again. I could not remember his name, I could only remember "Harry". Turns out his name was Paul Certo. If it weren't for that cheap $25 guitar (which to me was lots of $$$ back in 1968), I might never have found my true love. We did not become sweeties right away. We did become friends. I wrote him letters when he was in the Army and in Viet Nam in 1970-71 and I was away at college (Kent State, the fall after the shooting - 4 Dead in Ohio). We did not become sweeties until Sept. 1972, and were married in April 1973. Yep. 35 years togeddah. All because of one $25 guitar. And I jus found a picture of me playing that guitar. Trouble is, it is stuck iin one of those "magnetic" page photo albums and I've got to figure a way to get it out of there so I can scan it and scrapbook it. I was sorta cute back then. And now after the heart problems, I weigh the same as I did back then.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey Wanda ... what a great story. Amazing what a $25 guitar can lead to! And who would have thought that you, Keoki and I would have that guitar in common! Connections continue ...

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  2:33:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

When I listen to a recording I did of Aloha O'e (myspace profile link if curious) with the d-16, I wonder what in the world I was thinking about when I sold it.

Most definitely ... if you have the URL I'd love to have a listen. What tuning are you using? I do mine in Taro Patch. Mahalo!

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  9:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I learned slack key on a Sears Silvertone I borrowed from a friend back in '74. My first guitar was a Harmony. Then an Epiphone 12-string. In 1980 I bought my D-18 2nd hand (I was heavy into Bluegrass then). It's the guitar I use. I have a bottom-of-the-line Ovation for the polka band. I took it to Hawaii last year. Sounds good plugged in and I like the cutaway. So many guitars, so little time. I still like to check out guitar stores.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  10:23:41 AM  Show Profile
It is way too subjetive. However one can establish certain criteria. Such as cost, reputation for quality, what you like when you hear it, playability and so forth. If cost is no object then custom order is one way to go. Off the shelf of course might include Martin, Taylor, Santa Barbara etc. There is the actual measurements of an instrument that should be considered. For example should it be wider at the nut i.e. 2 inches max or anything close to that. I've read where Fran Guidry considers string spacing at the saddle. Should you get dreadnaught, OM 000 00 Jumbo. So you see you can get as many answers as there are players who play guitar. Have fun with your search.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I learned slack key on a Sears Silvertone I borrowed from a friend back in '74. My first guitar was a Harmony. Then an Epiphone 12-string. In 1980 I bought my D-18 2nd hand (I was heavy into Bluegrass then). It's the guitar I use. I have a bottom-of-the-line Ovation for the polka band. I took it to Hawaii last year. Sounds good plugged in and I like the cutaway. So many guitars, so little time. I still like to check out guitar stores.

How do you like the D18 for slack key? I'd like to add a D to my collection - but as you say, so many guitars and so little time. I love bluegrass but no absolutely nothing about playing it. Aloha!

Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  1:34:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

It is way too subjetive.

Yup ... you're right. Gotta hear and feel it. I've heard numerous times how some people walk into a guitar store and try all versions of the same make/model guitar and find difference even then.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I haven't played this guitar, but it sure looks like a nice slack key instrument, and the price is pretty darned good:

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=120035

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Iʻve always appreciated Goodalls. Nice balance all across the strings usually. And easy to play.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  07:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
da old takamineʻs come in handy too!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile
My Rainsong OM-1000 is great for traveling.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow, my ears were ringing with all this talk about cheap Harmony guitars. I have a circa mid-1970s "F"-shaped sound hole, archtop model that I got out of the trash. Actually, a neighbor put it next to a big trash dumper bin because it was still in good shape. This was about 14 years ago when I lived in NJ. Fortunately, I happened to be dumping my trash when the neighbor put it there, and I asked if it was still good. He said it was fine, but that he had bought a higher-end guitar. So, naturally the Pake in me scooped the guitar right on da spot.

It's very easy to play and I think looks pretty neat. It has a "tinny" sound, but guess what? Years later, I tuned it to C Maunaloa (a high C tuning) and the buggah sounds pretty good with the higher voice. And I no shame, I bring it to kanikapilas and even the occasional open mic, http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5711 , (see 3rd photo down; Wanda, I see you were wondering what kind of guitar it was) if I want to play in that tuning. I also use it as my beach guitar and like Keoki's, I think it might work well as an acoustic steel guitar. The only drawback is that my former neighbor's name "Tony" is printed on the pick guard--eh, trash scavengers can't be too picky, right?

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile
No shame getting guitar from da trash. Ask Paul how many he has that were on their way to the land fill.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  4:55:55 PM  Show Profile
I took the tuners off one last week and put the rest back on the tree lawn. Had 2 or 3 extra "sound" holes, fretboard coming up from the neck, & other damage. I think it musta belonged to El Cabong, or maybe Pete Townshends kid.I almost kept it as a mold for making baritone ukes, it was about the right size. But I never built no ukes, and didn't think I needed extra projects.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  8:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of El Cabong, I saw on youtube when Pete Townshend played Tommy on David Letterman. He had a signature Gibson J-200 he was playing, and sure enough - at the end of the song - Cabong! Only splinters left. That guitar has a list of $5.6K! What a waste. How did that whole thing get started with him anyway?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000