Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Best Guitars for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  3:50:12 PM  Show Profile
I saw one of Townshends Gibson acoustics in a magazine once, maybe the same one. It had auctioned for over $11,000, on the strength of his ownership. There wasn't enough Elmers Glue in NE Ohio to put it back together again. What a waste.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  3:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Finally got a chance to see one of Keola Beamer's DVDs. Anyone actually own a Grimes? If so, how do you like them? Mahalo.

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps one thing to look for in a "slack key" guitar is long scale length (as opposed to short scale). For any given tuning, a long scale will generate more tension, thus buzz may be avoided.

Mike (sorry if I reposted this)

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Old poi dog
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  8:30:17 PM  Show Profile
I like the mahogony 000-15S by Martin. You can get them for about $700 used.
They're long scale and has that "look" for under the mango tree jams.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands to play when ever you like. I f you sit under the mango tree make sure no mo fruit for fall on top your head.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

If you sit under the mango tree make sure no mo fruit for fall on top your head.
...or you'll be accused of plagiarizing Sir Isaac Newton's "licks."
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The best guitar is one that makes you want to pick it up and play whenever you see it, that feels like a natural extension of your body when you're holding it, and that sounds so good to your ears once you start playing that you don't want to put it down. Consider the process of finding it the musical equivalent of dating.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

alohaweb
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  1:47:55 PM  Show Profile
+1 on the Martin 000-15S. It has a long scale and a 1 3/4" nut width which is nice for finger picking. It has a nice warm tone. However, it seems like a lot of the old timey players used big dreads and got great sounds.
The 000 body size begs you to hold it! So, it naturally gets played alot! Also, the old parlor guitars are so comfortable to hold and get a lot of love, too.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Seems counter-intuitive to use a short scale (24.9) for slack key, but my luthier friends say it works just fine. I'd prefer short scale because of small hands. Going to build a Martin 0 with 14 to body with cut-away and sound hole a la Grimes Hapa model. See how it performs.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  5:50:10 PM  Show Profile
When I was a kid almost every one played on a 00018 Mahogany front and back and sides with slot head and black diamond strings. I donʻt know bt sounded good to me.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

alohaweb
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  5:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Here's an old Gabby Pahinui photo. I can't really tell what this guitar is. Some sort of 12 fret Mahogany Martin...looks alot like the 000-15S I play.

http://www.surfingforlife.com/g/music_gabby.jpg
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  6:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
My friend Ed Cotham just got a Grimes, and it is truly beautiful to play. The sustain is marvelous and the harmonics are unbelievable.
Twelve frets to the body and no cutaway, but you just adjust. Ed's playing has really improved, cause he plays all the time now.
I've got a 714 Taylor that I got about 2 years ago. Just had to have once I played it. I even had to sell my Martin OM28V! The Taylor has better neck width for my hands, and is very forgiving tuned anywhere you like. (Tune from Bflat to C maunaloa with all that extra tension on string 4 - no problem It stays rock solid after the changes) The Martin was fussy about that. The Taylor is in the case alot for protection and because for me it is a great luxury. I leave my beach/trips guitar out of the case so it gets constant use. It is a black Ovation Tangent, with a body made out of plastic. A bit tinny in sound but there is good sustain and it sounds great amped. After 4 years it has gotten battle scars. I dropped it from waist height to the cement walkway at George's camp and all I got was a ding in the plastic (and a crowd of amazed onlookers). They say the tops (spruce) fall off these guitars, but so far it is all in one piece. All in all what more could I want. Sure a Grimes would be great, but the Taylor is inspiring and the Ovation has turned out to be a loyal companion.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Jim, I can relate. I have a Taylor 414. Nice guitar. I'd prefer a slightly wider neck and a smaller lower bout. Rolling my own will definitely be an experiment, but the Taylor won't be a hardship to fall back on.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  12:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I love my Taylor K22ce, a NAMM show special. Ask Nancy Cook if it sounds good. I play it all the time.

Then I went and played one of the new R.Taylor Style 2, all koa guitars. I went almost through my entire slack key repetoire in five different tunings for about an hour and the sales guy at Buffalo Brothers asked me to keep playing ;-). Boy, that guitar made me almost sound good! Too bad I wen look at the price tag -- sticker shock.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  2:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by alohaweb

Here's an old Gabby Pahinui photo. I can't really tell what this guitar is. Some sort of 12 fret Mahogany Martin...looks alot like the 000-15S I play.

http://www.surfingforlife.com/g/music_gabby.jpg

Nope, it's his Martin D12-20. He used to borrow mine for the Kanikapila concerts at UH. Now that I think about it, it wasn't such a good idea.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000