Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Best Guitars for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I recently traded my Taylor 714CE-LTD in on a Taylor DDSM at Buffalo Bros. (I took advantage of their 100% trade-in allowance. I bought the 714 from them about seven years ago.)

It sounds great plugged in. The bass is fantastic and has great note separation. It also sound good unplugged. I really like the short scale and fast electric like neck.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

alohaweb
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile
"Nope, it's his Martin D12-20. He used to borrow mine for the Kanikapila concerts at UH. Now that I think about it, it wasn't such a good idea."

Hey, that's cool. thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile
I have [and play slack key on] a variety of guitars [mostly Martins] from 5-18 to 12-fret-dread size. Each has its charm, ineherent advantages, & diadvantages/idiosyncrasies for dropped/open-tuned fingerpicking. I usually like the "middle" sizes, 00 or 000 for the "balanced sound" as noted somewhere above. Last coupla days have had my old 5-18 [22.3" scale, skinny-neck, small-body!] in open A [~taropatch + 2 frets] and having great fun. Low-end isn't huge on some smaller-bodied instruments but when playing alone the alternating bass is "accompaniment", just need enough to support the tune. The little 5-18 even handles what I call the key of "L" [for Leonard K & Ledward K] = taropatch w/more-dropped 6th string = open G/C bass or open A/D bass.

As always it's individual to the guitar in hand and the hands/ears on the guitar. My $.02 and worth it...!

Edited by - basilking on 06/08/2008 3:09:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  3:02:57 PM  Show Profile
I have two guitars I use for Slack. One is a Taylor 614 Cotton (all that seems to mean is that it's got little cotton balls for fingerboard decoration. I think it is a signature type for somebody I don't recognize). It is really good for some tunings, including Leonard's F, Taro, Drop C, Open D, DADGAD (not really slack) and others that are bright and use a lot of open string over tones. It has a very good fingerstyle action and tone.
My Alvarez Yairi nylon is really nice in the more moody tunings, expecially Keola's C, and the strange CFCGAD that goes with his E Ku'u Morning Dew arrangement. However, it lacks the brightness that is characteristic of most Taro Patch tunes.
my two cents worth,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  06:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

I recently traded my Taylor 714CE-LTD in on a Taylor DDSM at Buffalo Bros. (I took advantage of their 100% trade-in allowance. I bought the 714 from them about seven years ago.)

It sounds great plugged in. The bass is fantastic and has great note separation. It also sound good unplugged. I really like the short scale and fast electric like neck.

I've heard Dusty play this guitar and was incredibly impressed by how good it sounds plugged in (I haven't heard it unplugged). In fact, it sounded so good I asked him what the pickups were as soon as he finished playing!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/17/2008 09:20:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  06:58:05 AM  Show Profile
My DDSM has a L.R. Baggs Hex pickup. Each string has its own bridge/pickup.

Here's a link.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  06:35:22 AM  Show Profile
One of our astute readers pointed out that the proper tuning for E Ku'u Morning Dew is CGCGAD. I realized this when I got back to my guitar. In the arrangement you play about three bars before ever hitting the 5th string, but when you do, it really clunks if you've tuned it to F.
sorry 'bout that
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

I wasn't going to get too specific on this topic, as I feel that the best guitar for slack key is which ever guitar you are playing at the moment, as long as you play from the heart. I have heard masterful players create chicken skin moments on Baby Taylors, borrowed junker beach guitars, a student's low end Yamaha... etc etc etc.

However...

I received the first Dennis Lake "Territorial Model" at last month's Aloha Camp. It is a simple little 12 fret slot head with koa body, top neck & bridge. It is built along the lines the guitars made on King Street in Honolulu in the 1920s -- though without the horrid neck joints they used back then.

In short,this is a guitar designed expressly for slack key.

Playing this guitar is like stepping back into one of those old time photos like you see in Ozzie's book. It sounds and feels so right.

Sweet does not begin to describe the voice of the Territorial Model. The first time I played it I told Dennis that it had an old soul.

I'll get some pictures & sound clips off to Dennis when I have a minute.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Playing this guitar is like stepping back into one of those old time photos like you see in Ozzie's book. It sounds and feels so right.
i was one of the lucky ones who got to test mark's new guitar before AMC. it's a beauty, and the tone it has is wonderful.

lustfully,
keith

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  06:42:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mark, How 'bout posting a picture or two of it. I didn't see one on his web site.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/20/2008 02:29:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

steam-powered
Aloha

15 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile
My newest guitar, which I keep exclusively in slack key, is a Martin D-18VS. Sounds so amazing that I'd almost think it was designed/built for slack key!

Amor et Hilaritas
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  11:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

this is my new travel guitar. it's a dennis lake "punahele `iki" (little pet) with a spruce face and mango sides and back.

Here's a shot next to a cigar box `ukulele, just for size comparison. It's small enough that even in a hard-shell case, it fits in most airplane overheads:

Here's a back shot which shows the nice pattern in the mango, and how the koa accents the mango:

Here's detail shots of the two sides, so you can see the blush in the wood:

Here's the inlay - a humuhumunukunukuapua`a (I was adopted by one at black rock):

It sounds lovely. Unplugged, it sounds like a small guitar - I string it with medium strings, and the midranges dominate. Plugged in, it's a monster: I have to watch it overdriving the bass.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  1:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Dusty was struttin' his stuff at a BBQ on thursday, unplugged. John Keawe gave his guitar a test drive and was impressed with the action. It's a beauty.

aloha,
Keith

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  05:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
My luthier buddy, Tony Yamamoto, came by yesterday with his latest creation - a 27" scale semi-baritone. Tony designed this guitar to have a big voice in dropped tunings like taropatch and he succeeded spectacularly. He used black acacia, a very close relative of koa that grows in Australia. Here's the back:

He used red spruce for the top and included a cutaway:

But the sweetest part for me is the wedge shape he used for the body. This makes the very large guitar fit easily under the arm, avoiding damage to old fogey shoulders:

The deepest part of the body is a hefty 5 1/2", while the shallow part that fits under the arm is a dainty 3 1/2".

Ohhhhhh, I hated to see him leave with this beauty.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  06:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
fran, that's a cool idea with the wedge. It's a beauty...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000