Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Happy Saint Patrick's Day
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile
I was trying ot find a way to inject some Hawaiian influence in the celebration of St. Patrick's Day and think I may have found the answer. I will play "Green Rose Hula" at a St. Patty's Day party I'll be attending after work today. I like to think of this as Hawaiian Celtic. We'll see how it goes.

May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Happy St. Patrick's Day

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Don't bother. Today is NOT St. Patrick's Day!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7300466.stm
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  10:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Yikes. Problem is secular vs. non-secular celebrations.

Now don't get Paul started on Ground Hog Day -- he swears it is February 14, not Feb. 2, and he says there are facts to prove it. I for one, do not believe him.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh well, whatever day it is, it's still a very nice day in Olympia Washington. It's 54 degrees outside, which is warmer than it's been in some time, and the sun is shining brightly even though the weather report said rain! But who knows, the day's not over yet! Happy Monday to you all!;^)

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  2:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
(sings) Oh Danny Boy, the pipes the pipes are calling...

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  4:54:41 PM  Show Profile
I had nothing to say about the groundhog, but now that the subject is on the table, I must protest the attempts by the Misouri State legislature to declare an "Official"Groundhog Day on the (erronious) day of their choosing. Since when do POLITICIANS know ANYTHING worth knowing? Old Timers in Arkansas knew the correct date was Feb 14, but Bill Clinton was too busy chasing skirts to correct the terrible wrong that was done so long ago. Perhaps I can get Basil to check with some elders on his side of the pond, and we can get the real date for Candlemas straight.But don't get me started. I type too slow to get wound up.
Paul
PS Sorry for stealing your thread, All Thumbs.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Actually ANY DAY is NOT ANY DAY!

Due to errors in the Julian Calendar (even with corrections added on later) we have been slipping time for centuries. Christ's birthday was moved (By the Ancient Church) to exactly coincide with the Winter Solstice (to help in wiping-out those pesky pagan religions). But now, due to Calendar Creep, the Solstice is on the 19th or 20th but Christmas is still stuck on the 25th!!

Now, if we had only kept the Earth Flat and at the Center of the Universe, none of this would ever have happened, so you only have yourselves (and some Holy Roman Church Politicians) to blame!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/17/2008 5:32:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Oh! Sorry I waited until today to post this. I didn't even think of it until now.

What's Irish and sits outside?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  1:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
(*sigh...* unable to resist the temptation...)

Paddy O'Furniture

(Shouldn't we all be playing in the "Talk Story" section on this one?)

Edited by - Retro on 03/18/2008 1:37:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow! From St. Patrick's Day (or maybe not) to Groundhog's Day to politics. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that simply wishing folks a Happy St. Patrick's Day would have generated such a diverse array of topics. That's what I love about this site. I can't wait until next Christmas to wish folks a Merry Christmas to see what topics are raised by that post.

The party was great, but the green beer won out over the Green Rose Hula. Oh well, there's always next year!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  07:20:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
but the green beer won out over the Green Rose Hula
Sounds like you might half had a wee bit much green beer before the playin O' the hula, me laddie!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  09:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, Greg got it! Good job.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just my own sordid past, my friend. Checking out Bennett Cerf books from the library as a kid made me what I am today. No apologies.

(Having Irish ancestors didn't hurt neethur.)
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday, as I was getting ready to go to work, the weather lady said "Spring will arrive at 5:58 this morning." If the groundhog can only guess within 6 weeks, where did that exact-to-the-minute time come from? My father grew up in Punsutawney' I still have relatives there. None of them ever mentioned the groundhog predicting spring. I think he's a fake. The oldest legends had the Bear as prognosticator of spring. Just don't run no bears over with your car. It makes 'em mad as a hornet!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000