Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Need help with a song-- Ko ma`i Ho`eu`eu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  01:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know what the chords are to this mele ma`i? Paul has been asked to learn it for a summertime presentation of our local hula hui. This is a song we learned to sing and dance with `ipu at the workshop this year. Auntie Mapuana said that folks can use her choreography, but first must videotape the performance and send it to her to make sure it is pono. Most of the recordings of it (like Bros. Cazimero and Na Palapalai) are so fast, I think someone would keel over before the song was over. Talk about that lively thing!
We found a recording by Myrtle K. Hilo which goes slower, but is still pretty fast. It sounds like the song changes keys from major to minor a couple of times or so.

I do not think slack key would be appropriate in this instance. Just regular strumming. Should use tight key?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  03:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Does anyone know what the chords are to this mele ma`i?
This song just bounces back and forth between two related keys in the scale - C major, and its relative minor, A minor. The trick is an unexpected move to the subdominant (F major) in the B section. It is one of the most unusual Hawaiian songs ever written.

I am at work, don't have a guitar in front of me, and don't have the recording handy. So I am working from memory here. Try this...

Section A

Am

C G7 C G7 C G7 C G7 C

Vamp D7 G7 C E7 Am

Section B

Am E7 Am C G7 C E7

Am E7 Am F C7 F

Vamp G7 C7 F D7 G7 C

Back to Section A

The only thing that bothers me about Brothers Cazimero's and Na Palapalai's versions is that they are exactly the same - because they are both homages to the original by Joseph Kahaulelio and the Ho`oheno Serenaders from the 1950s on Auntie Noelani Mahoe's Island Recording label. These were reissued in the 70s as Mele Hula - Volume 1 and 2 on the Noelani label and these are two invaluable resources for hula dancers and fans of the compositions of Kawena Pukui and Maddy Lam which are featured prominently here. I learned of these recordings when I was researching the music of Maddy Lam. I asked around and learned that the expert on Lam's music is her good friend, Kahauanu Lake. We talked about her for a while and then he asked if I had these records. I had never even heard of them.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  06:20:13 AM  Show Profile
Bill - thanks for your expertise.

Now next thing. The ha`ina for this song says, "Ha`ina mai ka puana, `O Hālala i ka nuku manu". The translation is "many" birds, so shouldn't it be nui manu? I thought nuku meant mouth. An earlier verse speaks of "your swollen mouth" and uses the word nuku.

However, both huapala.org and Na Mele o Hawai`i Nei, have the lyrics as nuku in both verses. I'm so confused.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  07:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Bill - thanks for your expertise.

Now next thing. The ha`ina for this song says, "Ha`ina mai ka puana, `O Hālala i ka nuku manu". The translation is "many" birds, so shouldn't it be nui manu? I thought nuku meant mouth. An earlier verse speaks of "your swollen mouth" and uses the word nuku.

However, both huapala.org and Na Mele o Hawai`i Nei, have the lyrics as nuku in both verses. I'm so confused.

The Hawaiian lyric is correct; the translation may not be wholly explanatory.

In mele, the people - of the community, the neighborhood, or all of Hawai`i - are frequently referred to poetically as "birds" squawking or chattering away. For example, consider "Hi`ilawe."

Pakele mai au i ka nui manu
Hau wala`au nei puni Waipi`o

Translation

I have not been trapped by the gossip
Chattering everywhere in Waipi`o

Another song about Kalakaua, "He`eia," also uses the turn of phrase "nuku manu." In writing about that song, Mary Kawena Puku`i indicated that "nuku manu" is a reference to the beaks of the birds - meaning that Halala (the euphemism for Kalakaua's genitals) were praised by all the people.

I am no Hawaiian language expert, but I also happen to think that there is a classic Hawaiian double-entendre here. The composer could have just as easily wrote "nui manu" to talk about the chatter of many birds. But the composer carefully chose "nuku" or beak - which is likely an intentional and not so subtle reference to genitals.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  10:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Kihei de Silva also told us that in many songs about Kalakaua, there are referencesto birds. That was his "symbol", plus the feathers were a royal symbol, e.g. kahili, feather helmets, feather capes.

Gotta make for the self-fulfilling prophecy to keep the Hawaiian nation populated, especially the ali`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  11:33:15 AM  Show Profile
The title also implies a lot since literally it is about "your lively genitalia" the rest is up to the listener. By the way if you ever come across a recording by Rick Hanapi his father Emperor recorded the song in a very unique singing style that was symbolic of his day.It Probably was singing style practiced by many men in the 50ʻs. It is my favorite version. Unfortunately I lost the vinyl version of the record when my locker got auctioned off. Not to change the subject but I lost a lot of good stuff in that locker. I had over 300 discs in my collection not too mention my Rikenbacker 6 string Fry Pan a double hole mango koa classical guitar and my 36 inch wok and burner. I could go on and on but i would just be grousing about stuff.
The Hanapi version was if I remember a danceable speed.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Does anyone know if this song was written as a chant and later set to music?

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  7:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Not wanting to be the one to make folks blush, I'll simply refer you to huapala.org for the translation...and I'll be fanning myself while I read them one more time!

http://www.huapala.org/Ko_Mai_Hoeueu.html

No mention of this having first been a chant, BTW...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:40:12 AM  Show Profile
Yes, according to the research that Kihei de Silva did, this was written as traditional mele ma`i for Kalakaua and was a chant. I do not know who added the music to it. Mele ma`i were normally written when the honoree was an infant, so what I said earlier about a self-fulfilling prophecy was very important. Mele ma`i are not meant to be lewd, risque or a brunt of jokes in a tourist bar. There were in essence naming the ma`i of the honoree. Ali`i or other high born people are the ones who traditionally had mele ma`i written for them. The mele would then be gifted to the baby, so most of them are written by unknown haku mele. So, in this song, Kalakaua's ma`i was named Halala. There is one about Liliuokalani that calls her ma`i "frisky". The whole idea was to praise the ma`i and talk about how big or lively or effective and what pleasure would be derived froom it. All in an effort to have plenty of heirs. There is one we learned from Keali`i Reichel at the first hula workshop over here, that spoke of a large, heavy, gold brick -- not only big, but valuable, as well.

This is why learning hula from Mapuana de Silva is great -- she brings her hubby and he teaches the history behind the mele. No dancing just for the heck of it with Halau Mohala `Ilima. You will learn the mele, first and foremost.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Dennis Kamakahi talks about mele ma`i in his introduction to the song "Ha`u Ha`u E" on his "The Gift of Music - from Father to Son" CD.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  07:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Yep. I think that one may have been our intro to mele ma`i. Watch out for that puhi little girl.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  08:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to add that mele maʻi during Kalākauaʻs time were very apropo. The decimation of the Hawaiian people due to the various introduced diseases meant that the people would attribute super fertility powers to the Moʻi in the hope that the populace would also be fruitful. So songs like Kō Maʻi Hōʻeuʻeu and Heʻeia would have been composed. And they were in the form of ʻoli rather than hīmeni originally.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 03/21/2008 08:08:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I haven't tried chords yet, I'm playing the CD in my car, set to repeat, to get the tune well fixed inmy head first. I did scribble out what seemed like the chord progression, and I'm pretty close to what you have here, Bill. On listening more, I think I have some mistakes. I'm sure the chord will work out fine. I was struck by the unusual change from major to minor and back for alternate verses. It's not real common in most music, and minor keys seem rare in Hawaiian songs. Wanda & I could only think of 2 others- Kavika, and Maui Hawaiian Suppa Man.The idea of changing keys in mid song is not real common in most other music, either. It does happen in Irish and Appalachian music fairly often.Key changes occur fairly often in Jazz & Popular music, but this is almost like a change in modes. Very interesting, musically.
As for the lyrics, I'm going to use the ones given at the Hula workshop,by Mapuana & Kihei De Silva.If my pronunciation doesn't sink the project, nothing else will. Uor Hula teacher here has offered to help me with that, plus Wanda will correct me where necesary, to the best of her ability.(I'm a slow learner.)
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Wanda will correct me where necesary, to the best of her ability.

Ain't that the great thing about wives? They're always eager to correct us poor bumbling men.

One thing I quickly learned is that it doesn't work the other way around.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Everyone makes mistakes, husbands just hear about it sooner than everyone else.

As far as the major/minor alternating keys, you hear it in the classic Johnny Noble arrangement of the Hawaiian War Chant, or Kaua I Ka Huahua'i, which a few guys still perform today. Sometimes it is major-to-relative minor and sometimes it minor-to-major in the same key. I think it's become a common arrangement tool in Hawaiian music dating from the big band era of the 1920 to 1930s. You can hear it in Kekuhi Kanahele's version of "Kane'ohe" on her Honey Boy album.

Jesse

Edited by - hapakid on 03/21/2008 1:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  1:56:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I was struck by the unusual change from major to minor and back for alternate verses. It's not real common in most music, and minor keys seem rare in Hawaiian songs. Wanda & I could only think of 2 others- Kavika, and Maui Hawaiian Suppa Man.

One other song that comes to mind with the minor/major change is the Beamer Brothers' version of "Wahine Holo Lio," written for Queen Emma. I heard Keola do it last year, and he now omits the "chorus" in the major key. I don't know if this is a mele ma`i or not.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000