Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Kanile'a Ukulele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keneke ka
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Any Feedback on how the Kanile'a Uke compares to the
Kamaka , KoAloha , or other quality ukes.

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  10:22:08 PM  Show Profile
I have in my collection of ukuleles, a soprano, a concert, and a 6 string tenor Lili'u Kanile'a ukuleles. I am by no means an expert at the sound of ukuleles other than I find my Kanile'a ukuleles as bright as my Koaloha and G String ukuleles. As I have mentioned before, Kanile'a ukuleles have a more rounder neck as oppose to a thinner neck of a Kamaka, Koaloha and G String. And so the feel is fuller and more guitar like. A friend of mine noted (and I agree) that the Kanile'a concert has a more fuller bass sound than the G String concert which one might expect since the Kanile'a is a bit wider and thicker at the bottom bout. Another acquaintance who favors Kamaka ukuleles was impressed with the sound of my 6 string tenor. My tenor has the newer soundboard bracing (TRU or Sound Monster) which allows the soundboard to vibrate more. In addition, I like that the Kanile'a ukuleles in concert and soprano give you 14 frets joining at the body (like the G String concert). If I am not mistaken Koaloha and Kamaka regular concerts give you 12 frets joining at the body. Sound and feel of the instrument is personal. I am very happy with my Kanile'a ukuleles as I am with my Koaloha ukuleles and my G String ukuleles.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  3:34:19 PM  Show Profile
I do not own a Kanile'a Uke but I will some day. A friend of my has a tenor Kanile'a and it is like butter -- the sound simply resounds. I tried out quite a few ukes in a store and the Kanile'a was the one that provided the best overall tone and projection. They have a unique sound that really works for me. I met Joseph Souza, the luthier, and he has a great soul. It comes through in his instruments. The Low G simply resounds on a Kanile'a. These are amazing instruments. I have a Pono, which is very nice for the price. But when I get proficient and feel like rewarding myself, I will get a Kanile'a.

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000