Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 spot review...the C tunings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  11:24:34 PM  Show Profile
As I was reviewing cpatch's list...3 AM...
great...
I realize I forget stuff I never knew I knew...
or wish'd I knew.
Deja-no-knew-na-nu
and Can't find my Mika ele book right now...

So, for those who didn't sleep through their slack key finals...
Help me review:
The Big C's and some of the songs typically done by various masters of the C's...
like:

Atta's C
Gabby's C
Leanard's C
Drop C (taropatch with a low C on da 6th string instead of D)
Keola's C (C,G, D, G, B, E) right?

Einemem's C?
Others/Omissions?
and where's the best AVAILABLE starting/review places for beginners and forgetters? (forgive me, I forget-me-C).

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/24/2008 11:25:22 PM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:41:57 AM  Show Profile
Mediterranean Sea
Carribean Sea
South China Sea
Black Sea
North Sea
Sea of Tranquility
Sea-sons in the Sun
Look and See.
See what you've made me do?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  01:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Leonard's C *is* what you called Drop C. There are also variations on C Mauna Loa similar to Gabby's C (which isn't so often called that). Why don't you just look at George Winston's web page (and linked pages):

http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook3-tuningessay.php

and save yourself some headache.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  1:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Bye the "c" bye the "c" bye the beautiful "c" Oi! C what you made me do Wanda !!!! ):

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  7:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Reid -

I didn't know about the tuning info. on George Winston's website. What a treasure. Thanks!!

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  03:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Mark, GW's web site used to be even better (more stuff) before he sold DC. He is an amazing person and you can see how dedicated, even obsessed, he is to/with Slack Key. In addition to being a historian, as a trained and very accomplished musician, you can bank on what he says. I wonder where ki ho`alu would be today if it weren't for him. There are sometimes some complaints about his initial emphasis on solos, but he has done it all.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  06:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Reid-

I don't know where ki ho`alu would be today without George Winston's influence, but I suspect that, for good or bad, it would have a different sound. That's not intended as a criticism, and I'm saying that as someone who was a GW fan before I ever knew a thing about Hawaiian music. I suspect a fair number of us mainlanders of a certain age have come to slack key through a roundabout path that somehow involved George Winston.

George's languid piano style isn't everybody's cup of tea, but anyone who's curious should have a listen to his versions of `Ike Ia Ladana and No Ke Ano Ahiahi (on his album "Plains"). You can taste a sample on itunes or any of the other usual places.

Back to Gordon's original question--don't forget the resources available right here in the 'patch. You can plug the names of the C tunings into the search window and look at past discussions. You'll also find Reid's very helpful comments on C Mauna Loa and Atta's C.

I'm sticking with Drop C for now, as those others are too much of a challenge for me at my present beginner level. Never knew it would be so hard to become a "C" student.

-Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  07:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

and where's the best AVAILABLE starting/review places for beginners and forgetters? (forgive me, I forget-me-C).
Mark Nelson shared some chord charts that I posted here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
I have spoken to 4 of the artists which George recorded, not including Keola. each of them said that George was very clear that he wanted them to play the music The way they play it. He was trying to record and archive the art as it was being played by some of its leading performers. It is true that these disks had extensive editing, but each of the artists with whom I spoke said that the editing did not change anything stylistically. Winston did not impose his "new age jazz" style on other artists.

In addition, I think it is fair to say that without Dancing Cat and the tours it sponsored, a huge chunk of the people who are now interested in slack key would probably not have been introduced to it.

I think the changes happening in slack key are more a result of the kind of give and take between slack key and the musical zeitgeist which has occured throughout it's history. Don't forget how much "traditional" slack key is influenced by the history of jazz. Listen to any L Kwan recording. The popularity of Latin music, largely through cross over by Los Panchos and a few big bands, has deep resonance in traditional slack key. Listen to a Sonny Chillingworth recording. God forbid, but sooner or later hip hop and rap will leave their ugly footprints. Bound to happen.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  7:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Wo
Having ya'll here is like Verizon team taropatch plus...
When I hit these links, it's like finding the secret door to another universe!
And I hadn't seen G. Winston's tuning info site...
many of my old questions about how artists and certain tunes/tunings are right there to pick through!
And Reid's and all those tuning links...I was blind, but now I truly "C".
But please don't stop cause I posted on my post.
And as usual, I'm not sleeping on my watch.

Atta's C is what we were exploring with Cyril on Maui, and I didn't know it.
George Winston's tunings info helped clarify several tunings and nomenclature references.

The jazzy sounds of Cyril and Atta...(although I've not actually heard Atta's recordings, only people imitating his style) seem to lead to jazzy voices that fall naturally under the patterns of human "fingerspan".

On John Keawe's "Slack Key Heaven" (from "Christmas Is...", he ends it with a tribute to 3 styles....
Sonny, Atta and Gabby...
not sure if there was an recording magic involved, but he moved smoothly from style to style...there were key changes, so if he did the jazzy Atta slice without an edit/punch, then I'm extra impressed.
also, I have a post about something George W does on plucked piano...
but not here!
This is C world.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/26/2008 7:52:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  02:12:04 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if you picked up on one of my addenda to my original Atta's C piece, but slightly after I wrote the original, I realized that several of Keola's "signature" note sequences (that give his pieces a kind of "New Agey", cool jazz sound) are extraordinarily easy to achieve with Atta's C - sometimes only by barres. Of course, Keola used his own tuning, and eschews Atta's C (he can do anything he wants in his tuning, essentially "Standard", so why should he change?). But for us mere mortals who never groked "Standard", or who have small, stiff fingers, Atta's C is much easier to deal with.

Ozzie once told me he particularly likes Atta's C, although he doesn't arrange much in it, even though he said that he should really do so. We have just about as many tabs of his in that tuning that exist (original pieces that are lovely). I think it is sort of a market demand issue.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  03:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Many of the Jazzy sounds come from listening to steel guitar. Jazzy sounds sort of fall off the guitar with Mauna Loa tunings and their minor triads. C6 and A6 for steel probably were influenced by them. I remember reading that The Sons of the Pioneers were initially described as having "Hawaiian" harmonies because of the 6 part harmonies with 6ths, etc, they used. As for steel, Barney Isaacs' playing with George Kuo is a great example of a Jazz sound.
BTW, Reid, how's the steel coming? My Dobro with C6 is just 2 feet away, I never get tired of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000