Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Larrivee 10k Uke on ebay
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yardbird
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I bought it...wanted a koa uke to compliment my Wave Uke. Plus I got it at a great price...$250 below Elderly. Can't wait to get it...someone tell why they include a gig bag instead of a hardshell case? Does that make sense?
Anthony

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  02:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anthony, I recently got a 10K Larrivee on eBay as well. I also got a soft case, but I decided I would use this uke for traveling. Since the Airlines have become stricter about carry-on bags, (ladies are allowed one carry-on and one purse) I have acquired a BIG purse, into which I shove my soft case little Soprano Larrivee. All my other ukes have hard cases which are bulkier. This way I won't have to check my little babies.... Yikes, who know, I might never see them again, they are sooooo portable. So the answer to your quesion is: I don't know. But make the best of the situation and get a big purse! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  4:11:47 PM  Show Profile
My 3rd wave has a hardshell case, so I figuer on swapping cases when the need arises. The problem with soft cases is it is too darn easy to step on the neck, or for some oaf to drop their 45 pound carry-on (!!!) suitcase right on top of it.
Weight be darned...I only use the gig bag when I'm walking down to the park.
Anthony
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  01:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Ho Anthony, I noticed in your profile that you have several mandolins. I bought one last year from a friend whose father smuggled it out of Communist Russia in the 60's. However, I can't play it, but brought it over to George Kahumoku one day when he had a barbecue. I thought he might play it for one song, but he played it for several hours during our kanikapila! Sweet Hawaiian songs on a Russian Mandolin. What a lovely instrument, such a lovely evening... Maybe after I master the Uke I may go on to Mandolin. Is it difficult to play? Julie
Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2003 :  04:58:39 AM  Show Profile
No, the mandolin is not especially difficult. You have to master flat picking, especially as that is the key to good tone and speed, plus the fretboard layout, which isn't all that complex. I think arranging the strings in perfect fifths makes it very logical.
I play mostly bluegrass and swing, so it took me a couple of years to get to the point that I could play chords and figure out where to play the blues scale. But I really enjoy it now.
There are some very inexpensive, but nice sounding mandos on the market right now...mid-missouri makes a couple so I think it is easy to get started on. Let me know if you do decide to jump in and I'll recommend some books for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000