Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 TaroPatch.net mentioned in Honolulu Advertiser
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  3:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

TaroPatch.net and the Beamer Aloha Hawaiian Music and Dance Camp got some free press in the Honolulu Advertiser today - cover of the Island Life section. Not too shabby. I'll ignore the misspelling of my last name... and well, "transplanted islander?"... maybe not physically but in spirit, sure!

Andy

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Feb/24/il/il06a.html

THE LEFT LANE
Networking slack-key

Advertiser Staff and News Services

Andy Wong, a transplanted islander who lives in New Jersey, couldn't get slack-key out of his head or heart after he attended the Beamer family's Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island, studying the guitar style Hawaiians call ki ho'alu with singer/songwriter/guitarist Keola Beamer. So Wong decided to launch a Web site devoted to slack-key and 'ukulele: www.TaroPatch.net.

Wong reports that, in a year's time, the site has drawn 221 registered members representing 31 U.S. states. The site includes links to other slack-key sites plus forums and message boards, record reviews, information on books and lessons, and classified ads for members who want to sell equipment.

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile
I thought all publicity was good publicity but only if they spelled your name right!

Way to go Andy.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  01:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well the online version has been corrected. Funny when people read about you in the paper. The phone calls were going from Hawai`i to New Jersey back to Hawai`i today. Nice to get some free press.

As long as we all stay out of the National Enquirer, we're in great shape. I sincerely hope that the mention in the Advertiser will bring more Hawai`i residents in to the TaroPatch.net `ohana.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  02:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Yo Andy! I think they should have printed a photo of YOU! Shucks, everyone knows what Keola looks like. OK, send them in one of yours, you know, one of those promo shots with palm trees in the background and a sweet grin on your face.... I'll look for it. Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  09:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Well the online version has been corrected. Funny when people read about you in the paper. The phone calls were going from Hawai`i to New Jersey back to Hawai`i today. Nice to get some free press.

As long as we all stay out of the National Enquirer, we're in great shape. I sincerely hope that the mention in the Advertiser will bring more Hawai`i residents in to the TaroPatch.net `ohana.

Hi Andy,

If you have no objections, tommorrow, I'll ask my class at the University of Hawaii, Music Department to join and make it a requirement for subsequent classes. I believe that it would be to their benefit to visit this URL and it would help broaden their understanding of just how far slack key has spread beyond Hawaii.

Peter M
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Peter,

Never imagined that TaroPatch.net might someday appear on a syllabus; but sure, that would be fantastic. Mahalo for posting and supporting this site.

BTW, I went to Jelly's and was looking through their old Hawaiian LPs yesterday. On the back of one of Sonny's albums were photos of a young "Oz" Kotani and Peter Medeiros.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Julie, we want peetchas of Hunky Andy (Mark's description), the Island heartthrob :-).

Another coup, though, Andy. Great!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000