Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tab Contribution from Bill Campbell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  3:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Recent TaroPatch member Bill Campbell has quite graciously donated the tab for his original composition Ku`u Kumu Hal (My Teacher Hal) to the group. You can find a PDF file of the tab at:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tab/kuukumuhal.pdf

If you have TablEdit or the free viewer (available at http://www.tabledit.com) then you can download the TablEdit file and view/print/listen to the tab:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tab/kuukumuhal.tef

Bill has his own CD with 18 songs on it, including Ku`u Kumu Hal. If you're interested in hearing a sample of the recorded version of the song, or would like to know more about Bill or the CD, go to:

http://www.billcampbell.us

Mahalo Bill!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/24/2003 4:24:09 PM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  4:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bill,

That's very kind of you. I really like that cut on your CD.
I also like Hal Kinnaman very much.

Mahalo.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  6:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Bill,

Thanks for the tab. Playing the Tabledit midi, it sounds like a slack key rag! It's a bit more mellow on the clip from the CD. I wonder if it's interpretable to uke?

Mahalo

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:05:46 AM  Show Profile
Right On!
Mahalo for the tabs! I'm always looking for more slack key tabs, as they are hard to come by.
Cheers,
Stacey

Edited by - Stacey on 02/25/2003 9:23:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Pauline. Your comments on the midi file are right on the mark. It is another example of why synthesized midi files will never take the place of the sweet sounds of an acoustic guitar tuned to Taro Patch tuning. It is supposed to be fast, in the manner of Raymond Kane's 'Keiki Slack Key' and Ozzie Kotani's 'Birdie's Slack Shake Key' (on his 'Kani Ki Ho'Alu CD). The song was written at this tempo in response to the 'Bill, you have to have more FAST ones on it', which can be appreciated by anyone who has ever had to put together a CD or program of music. Most of the songs on the CD, however, are not fast. As far as 'slack key rag' is concerned, wait until you hear Ken Emerson's next CD. It will contain, not a rag, but a tango! You guessed it, 'Slack Key Tango' is the name of it.
Pauline, I am not much good at playing or composing for the uke. Hal has started to play more uke now than guitar, so I wonder if he has made an arrangement for uke. I will ask him.
Finally, as we progress from midi to RealPlayer clips to the actual CD, the quality gets better, even mellower yet.
Mahalo, Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Pauline Leland

Aloha Bill,

Thanks for the tab. Playing the Tabledit midi, it sounds like a slack key rag! It's a bit more mellow on the clip from the CD. I wonder if it's interpretable to uke?

Mahalo

Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dusty. Mahalo for the kind words. Glad you like the cut and also Hal. He is proud of the song, and he plays it whenever he can. That, and the response from musicians like you, make it worthwhile.
Mahalo, Bill

quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Aloha Bill,

That's very kind of you. I really like that cut on your CD.
I also like Hal Kinnaman very much.

Mahalo.

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Bill,

My absolute favorite on your CD is "Wheels". I liked it from the early 60's (I think). I used to muddle through a flatpicked version of it in a former life.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  12:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Dusty. Many people like that arrangement. I guess it was influenced by a combination of The Stringalongs, Billy Vaughn, and Chet Atkins. The song itself still has universal appeal, although, as you say, it has been around since the early '60s. I had some reservations about including it because it gets back into the 'what is slack key' debate. But, if 'If' by John Keawe, 'Around The World In 80 Days' by Dennis Kamakahi, 'Spanish Eyes' by Ledward, Sonny's 'Endlessly', and even Gabby's 'Vaya Con Dios', and countless other pop-turned-slack-key songs are accepted (as they are), then I decided that simple content, original style, and title were not contributing factors to the argument. Played in Open G, the song has a different sound (I play it in standard and Taro Patch), although the original ingredients are still there, and I prefer the Taro Patch sound.
Mahalo, Bill
quote:
wdf

Bill,

My absolute favorite on your CD is "Wheels". I liked it from the early 60's (I think). I used to muddle through a flatpicked version of it in a former life.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If you've already downloaded either of the files for this piece, please note that they are missing a repeat sign at the end of measure 28 (should return to measure 3). Bill sent me a correct TEF file and I have updated both the PDF and TEF files with the correction.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000