Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 He Mele Aloha songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Aloha All:

There are so many songs in the He Mele Aloha songbook.
Can someone please suggest popular kanikapila songs ?

Mahalo,
Les

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:36:53 PM  Show Profile
One swell book chock-o-block full of beloved songs. I would suggest Koke`e, Wahine `Ilikea, Puamana; Hawai`i Aloha, Makee Ailana, Kaimana Hila, Kou Kaula `Ili, Ulupalakua. Oh, heck, learn the whole book. You'll get around to them all some day.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  07:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the suggestions.
At least I have a starting point.
Les
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile
If you do a search on "Kanikapila" or"favorite songs" or some such (make sure to include searching the archive), you will see that there have been similar discussions before on this subject and you can pick out the tunes that get listed the most.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  08:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
One of the perks of going to George Kahumoku's workshops in June is that you get a copy of Ed Bigelow's songbook. It has most of the songs we do at kanikapilas. There are over 70 songs in it but here are some of the more popular ones (besides the ones Wanda mentioned which are all good).
E Huli Makou, Kaulana Kawaihae, Kuu Lei Awpuhi, Hula O Makee, Pua Lilia, Kanaka Wiawai, Hene Hene Kou Aka, Kuu Home o Kahaluu, Makee Ailana, Sonoe, Salomila, Aloha Oe ... Or you could just learn them all.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Lawrence:
I will do that also, thanks.

Jim:
I wanted to go to George's workshop in June,
but airfare and housing is so high in the summer.
We are going to the islands during the month of November.
Hopefully there will be something going on during this
timeframe.
Mahalo,
Les
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  8:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Braddah Les, in my honest opinion, the best way to learn the most popular songs is to participate in the kanikapila. The more you attend the more you'll be able to identify the different mele and which ones are the most popular, which is usually the result of familiarity. Every now and then someone will suggest a song that is new to mostly everyone. Brah, no shame...just jump in and have plenty fun...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 03/30/2008 8:27:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  8:45:25 PM  Show Profile
E Momi its Kamalani o Keaukaha

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  04:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
A dancer at the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian told me one time that there are 30 or 40 songs that all professional dancers are expected to be prepared to dance to. Anybody have an approximate list of those songs? Are they the same songs people have listed in this topic? I have a friend in Hilo who is a great singer, and I'm suggesting that she learn to sing those same songs, and then find a combo to sing with. Is He Mele Aloha a song book? What's the title of the "Blue Book"? What is Ed Bigelow's book? I want to give her some guidance. Thanks. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  06:25:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
A dancer at the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian told me one time that there are 30 or 40 songs that all professional dancers are expected to be prepared to dance to. Anybody have an approximate list of those songs? Are they the same songs people have listed in this topic? I have a friend in Hilo who is a great singer, and I'm suggesting that she learn to sing those same songs, and then find a combo to sing with. Is He Mele Aloha a song book? What's the title of the "Blue Book"? What is Ed Bigelow's book? I want to give her some guidance. Thanks. LRR

Leonard-

"He Mele Aloha" and the "Blue Book" are one and the same, I believe. This is a compilation of popular Hawaiian songs published five years ago. The songs come from the 1860's through the 1990's. Most songs are in Hawaiian, but some have English lyrics (I'd estimate about 20% are hapa-haole songs). It's spiral bound and therefore easy to use if you're sitting around informally playing/singing. The last time I participated in a kanikapila, all but two of the songs we sang came from this book.

The format includes the words of the songs with chords listed above the words, like a piano lead sheet, but without the melody and without time signature, measures, or indication of vamps. Basically, you need to know the melody and rhythm of the song, but maybe need help with the words and chords. You can see samples of the contents here: http://hemelealoha.com/

If you search the archives of this site you'll see plenty discussions here about lists of "standard" slack key songs or standard kanikapila songs (different lists, in my opinion). I haven't seen a discussion of standard hula songs specifically, but you could get a pretty good idea by going to www.mele.com and searching for the various multiple-disc compilations of hula songs. If you just made a list from George Kahumoku's and Daniel Ho's 3-CD set "Classic Hawaiian Hulas," I think you'd have a pretty good start.

-Mike

Edited by - mike2jb on 04/01/2008 06:39:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  06:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Leonard - that is a great question. This topic just came up with Paul and I yesterday. As some of you may be aware, Paul has been asked to learn a specific mele to accompany a halau (Ko Ma`i Ho`eu`eu). After playing that many times, working it out with the hula folks, one of the ladies asked Paul if he could play anything else they could dance to. Most of the slack key he knows is instrumental, such as Patrick Landeza's Kahuku Slack Key, stuff from Ozzie's DVD, etc. He can do Wahine `Ilikea and Koke`e very well IMHO, but he is very unconfident about his language skills. The hula ladies loved the songs, but have not learned Hula for those two. We were trying to figure out which ones are "standards". This hula hui does not do any hapa haole stuff. In addition to wonder what songs are standards for hula, what type of different guitar playing does one do when accompanying a halau. Paul was told he is the one who has to recite the first to lines of the mele as an "entrance". He's also got to be the one to give them fair warning by citing the first two words of the mele, so the dancers know where to begin. He is having difficulty figuriing out strumming patterns, because he is playing tight key, not slack key, which is mostly what he has ever played any songs in, and trying to figure out how to play the vamps, because what is done on recordings that we have are really not coordinated for dancing to, they are just, well, just "recordings", I guess.

So. in addition to what songs,
1) what are some typical strumming patterns when not playing slack key? Kind of like rythym guitar kinda stuff.
2.) How does one play a vamp when one is not playing slack key? Merely play the chords in a progression?
3.) what happens if you screw up and the dancers keep on going without you?
4.) If it is hula with ipu, does your strumming mimic the rythyms of the ipu?

Paul also asked me last night about standard songs such as Puamana that many folks dance to, how can all the tutu ladies get up and dance and they all dance the same way even though they learned from different kumu. Seems like there would be variations such as how they do their vamps.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Hi All:
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes Braddah Art, I agree.
I need to get to the kanikapilas
I wish there were some down in the south SF bay area
Then I have to decide to bring my guitar or uke.
Mahalo,
Les

Edited by - les_maverick on 04/01/2008 09:09:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  07:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, all good questions. The easiest way is to listen to songs on albums done hula style. All are usually 4/4 but syncopated to match the uke which is often played in triplets. The guitar doesn't need to be in triplets but it should not be in a boring drone either. Some songs are played in comp style with a swing beat. It depends on the song and how many chords the musician wants to play. The vamps are usually II7 chord 2 beat, V7 chord 2 beat, I cord 4 beat then the I chord at the start of the verse. Sometimes get 2 vamps but usually only one and the whole thing then is 8 beats long. Nothing happens if you screw up but as a pro you just play thru and catch up. So try to know the song thoroughly if you play from paper and you lose your place it is difficult to come back in cause it is hard to find it on the sheet. Ipu usually plays on the beat or the down beat the guitar just plays the song as it accompanies the voice. There usually is no instrumental since the dancer is telling the story with motion so you need words for that. The music and the dancers work together in synergistic manner so practice with the dancers is essential. That way the rapport is developed so both elements can communicate with each other non verbally and they then start together and end together. The main element is to have fun with it and play and sing and dance accordingly. Also ask Laka for guidance and you no can do wrong.

In addition to that the entire presentation usually is based on a theme of some sort. Like in honor of Kalākaua or the songs of Johnny Noble or whatever. So the song list is derived from that line of thought. Dancers personally need to develop a list of 40 or so of the most popular songs so if called on they know what to do as requested. I don't think there is a standard of standards but if you see two shows a year for forty years you might get some idea of what the most common songs are. Also when you train in a hālau for 10 or more years the list develops on its own.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 04/01/2008 07:48:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Mike - thanks for the very full answer. I have copied your post and sent it to my friend in Hilo. I hope she finds the book and CD set - her voice is so pretty that the public needs to hear her. And Wanda - thanks for your questions! I will be interested to see where this topic leads us. I will try to get the book and CDs also, so if my retirement ever allows me to move from Illinois to paradise, I will be prepared to make extra money playing at the Mai Tai bar. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Les!
you are in a "target-rich environment" up there in the SF south bay area - - go to members at top right, then Calif and start through - - check kanikapila thread. Surely you could get up to Fairfield/Vacaville on a Sunday? Jerry Sullivan runs one up there monthly.
Be sure to catch the upcoming ukulele fest in Hayward at the end of the month and you'll meet lots of local (to you) folks.
and if you come down to the South Bay in SoCal, be sure to get ahold of us and we'll have one in your honor.
Aloha!
n
Go to Top of Page

les_maverick
Lokahi

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  04:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit les_maverick's Homepage  Send les_maverick an AOL message  Send les_maverick a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nancy:
Thanks, I have to keep an eye open for the "Cow Town Kani", I haven't made it there yet
just because of bad timing and planning on my part. Its about 90 miles away from me.
There used to be a kani in Hayward, but nothing recently.
I do swing by SoCal once in a while. My daughter was living in Irvine, our youngest son is
attending San Diego State.
Mahalo,
Les
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000