Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Clapton's Choice Strings for Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  06:56:06 AM  Show Profile
The January 2008 issue of Martin's "The Sounding Board" claims that "Clapton's Choice" strings are especially good for slack key because "they really hold together in the low frequencies" and the "sustain...is awesome.". Anybody have experience with these strings and are they better than others?

Rich Smith

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  08:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Rich,

"Claptons choice" refers to a style of Martin brand strings that are uncoated, phosphor bronze strings.

They are described as "clear and bright." To my ear, they were much TOO bright for my guitar, a Martin D-28 Marquis. I prefer the regular old Martin SP phosphor bronze strings. However, my main complaint about the Claptons was that they didnt last long at all--only a few weeks with moderate playing time.

One thing I think we all could agree on----there is no one "perfect" type of strings out there. Every guitar is different, as is every player, and you may just have to try a bunch of types of strings to find the best for your individual playing style and guitar.

Good luck!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Daryl
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  2:50:16 PM  Show Profile
I put a set of "Clapton's Choice" strings on my Taylor 814 a couple weeks ago and just replaced them last night for the same reasons Lance states. I've never really cared for any type of Martin strings at all in all my years of playing. But that's just me.
My Taylor came with Elixer's which I like but about a year ago or so I tried GHS Infinity Bronze which I'm pretty happy with. I also have a Martin D-18 and to me Elixer's sound good on that but not the GHS stings. Like Lance says it all depends on your guitar and your style so you just have to experiment.

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Rich! You know me.... D-18, D'Addario light guage phosphor bronze. Everyone is different, thus the variety. I knew a guy back in my Bluegrass days, he used D'Addario Reds. They had more copper. The guy could touch your guitar and kill the strings. He found the "Reds" and loved them. The "Reds" were discontinued. Asi es la vida.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  6:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
I'm getting a real tinny sound on the first (highest) string pretty quickly with Pearse lights on my Martin parlor guitar. Any suggestions for stings that have a rounder sound on the high strings?

Mahalo, Mark E
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  01:59:17 AM  Show Profile
I use Nanao Webs but I have tried a lot of strings. GHS has a good variety of strings and a characteristics chart on the back of each package.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  04:48:50 AM  Show Profile
I've been switching back and forth between Elixir Nano's and Martin SP+ Extended Lifestrings and can't decide which I like better. I use medium gauge on my Taylor GS and they both sound good for a pretty long time.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000