Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Get a deal on Slack Tracks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Slack Tracks was a fun project to work on. I played the upright bass parts on several of the tracks, so I got to virtually kanikapila with a lot of you without formally meeting.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Espaniola

I played the upright bass parts on several of the tracks, so I got to virtually kanikapila with a lot of you without formally meeting.
Warmup for the real thing, then. We'll have to pull something together when you get up to the Seattle area this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Indeed! Looking forward to finally performing in the Seattle area!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

ya i can see how some people might get offended.. but i dont think any local people would feel offended, or even people quite kama'aina..

let me see...

its like learning country western music from a Chinese guy.. maybe his country western music s fine.. but is he really cpapble of creating good authentic country licks, and if he does. are they still country? and are they the same as the cowboys out west would do it?

you know.. its not about racism, its about authenticity of the style. And in my personal feelings, Authentic Hawaiian Slack Key needs to be done by Hawaiians, or Locals, or very Kama'aina People in the spirit of "Kiho'Alu", rather than in the spirit of just "slack keys as another style of how to jam my guitar in 1001 ways"

would you like to learn about Japanese culture from an American perspective? or a Japanese perspective? if you were Japanese would you prefer to learn from an American living in Japan? or a Japanese?

or if you are Norwegian, returning to Norway to learn your culture, would you prefer to be taught by an American dude living in Norway? or by your family of Norwegians?

and in learning Hawaiian Slack Key i feel I am learning a valuable and important (eventhough very modern) aspect of "traditional" Hawaiian culture, and I merely wanted to find books written from a Hawaiian perspective, or a true local perspective, or at least quite kama'aina.. in all aspects of Hawaiian culture, not only slack key... with a desire to perpetuate the culture, rather than just a guitar style... and truthfully, I dont really get that from the Mark Hansen book.. but the book is good, i need another book simply because Its too difficut for me without the full recordings.. thats all.. not because he's a haole.. but also, his composition of Aloha is truly beautiful, rreally, he put alot of his own talents into making it, but I feel its not the same stykle composition that more local people would have.. and while I will learn Marks Aloha 'Oe, i would still prefer one from Ozzie, or some other Hawaiian artists..

in his book, right there, it talks about mark hansen and in truth, this slack key book seems more of a conquest for him to add for his business repetoir than for perpetuation of the Hawaiian culture.. he may hate Hawaiian culture.. who knows.. I dont know that.. and I want to know...

you know.. your role-models are important in music.. ask anyone who their role models are in any genre, they are very important to all artists.. and their teachers should reflect their role-models...

and Marks not my role Model..

I want a role model book,

Ozzies my role model

so I want other such books that are good role-model books for students of Hawaiian culture. thats all... not trying to destroy Haole influence or use of the art, or even the way haoles want to change it.. but i want it unchanged by foreign influence, I want it in
the local hawaiian kine way...

and i really dont think that should offend anybody.. we have our own reasons for learning slack key. and Mine are no less valid than any one elses personal reasons.. and they are personal.. and only posted here to help shed some light on why im not happy ith some of these book.. me personally.. even they may be great books.. and why i asled for more local style kine.. thats all.

so leave this post alone.. if you wish to reply, please do it kindly and with intelligence in oen discussion.. this is not a troll, thank you

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  3:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Kawika,
I sent you an email

thanks alot... i'll check it later...~~

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  05:52:27 AM  Show Profile
They are all sold or on hold. I can email the electronic stuff if anyone wants individual songs. Thanks to everyone.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  08:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Tetapu

so I want other such books that are good role-model books for students of Hawaiian culture. thats all... not trying to destroy Haole influence or use of the art, or even the way haoles want to change it.. but i want it unchanged by foreign influence, I want it in
the local hawaiian kine way...

I think the problem was that your original post didn't read as clearly as this one...it could easily have been (and was) misinterpreted as saying something else. This post helps put the original in proper context and will hopefully lay all the bad will to rest.

Incidentally, Ozzie was (still is?) considered by many native Hawaiian slack key players to have added a foreign influence to the art.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  8:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Incidentally, Ozzie was (still is?) considered by many native Hawaiian slack key players to have added a foreign influence to the art.

ya thanks..

(added later:) you know.. I first saw this website as a link from another Hawaiian site.. it said "Taro Patch", and I figured it to mean literal Taro Patch Boys.. I used to work in the Taro Fields on Kaua'i .. and I really thought this was a level of Hawaiian site, such as the mana the name holds...

it really never crossed my mind that it meant "taro Patch tuning"..

so I came in here really expecting the wrong audience.. i get it now... so forget the tone of my original post eh?... (end edit)

so ya.. sorry about that..
But Ozzie is a true local boy, raised in Hawaii, with real traditional Hawaiian teachers and mentors.

Also, I am a teacher, and as a teacher I really appreciate the effort and thought and care Ozzie has put into his teaching methods, its not easy to be a good teacher, a good teacher has to have a lot of aloha, or a lot of love and caring for who he is teaching, and a real genuine love for what he is teaching. Empathy is the most valuable skill of any good teacher. And Ozzie knows exactly what’s needed next, or what would be best, its very easy to follow and makes a lot of sense, and very clear.. that’s a great teacher..

as far as what he changes, he preserves most of all of the original technique... except it says he likes using 3 fingers of the first 3 strings so he can go to flamenco or something... and at least his teachings are very methodical and teach strong basics... any slack key player could benefit greatly from his books without "changing the art".. Maybe if he was your only teacher and the only tabs you learned were his, then you wouldn’t obviously be the same style as the old players, but he teaches you how you can play like the old players, by giving you strong basics and good practices..

and slack key is ever evolving, and many tunings have been lost to the ages, and I hope that Hawaiians can have the strength to create new tunings, even our own Family tunings and song styles again... its Hawaiian art, and if it is done in the spirit of Hawaiians and Hawaii Aloha, and such then it is not "Changing slack key", but merely further defines Slack Key.

Slack key change would be from more foreign influence, such as those non-locals, and those not so familiar with Hawaii, and the Hawaiian Way. if Ozzie, local boy, wants to add new things.. Let them come.

He has certainly done more than most people to preserve the Classic traditions of Hawaiian Slack Key.

And are you sure his Changes are "foreign" changes?

Are there distinct "blues" or "jazz" or "Spanish" guitar influences in the recordings you are referring to?

or are they Ozzies own ingenuity and simply an evolution of the style by a master??

Edited by - Tetapu on 04/15/2008 04:14:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000