Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Music Scene on Oahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Message Preview - Music Scene on Oahu
I am feeling my way around the music scene in Hawaii and am very disappointed. Not with the musicians, but the business. Hawaii's economic structure is geared around tourism and the businesses are not paying well. Why pay when people are willing to work free!!! Please put lots of money in the tip jars if it is a free show.
I went to Koolau Golf Course through the Pali tunnel. I refuse to go on h3 because the land is kapu. Sat at the outside table and stared through the mist at Hawaiian Memorial where my dad is buried. I played his favorite songs at the grave earlier on an ukulele that Chris Kamaka was kind enough to loan me, no questions asked, so I could try to pick up work for pay. Even Fred warmed up to me a little. They almost cancelled their trip to the Hayward Uke Fest but was able to rebook th flight a couple days later. Chris's wife, Ranette, is involved in a miracle drink similar to noni, the Hawaiian cure all drink. It is called Tungusta Blast and can be googled for more info. Sounds good and I hope to pick up a bottle for myself and family.
At the Kooloau golf course, I sat alone for about 30 minutes when I saw Eddie Kamae arrive and make his way inside Honeys Restaurant where Mike Kaawa and the boys were going to play in an hour or so. I finally got up and went to order my food from the window. I guess the waitresses were too busy with the tourist. While ordering, Eddie came up to get a drink. I introduced myself and asked if I could talk with him for a minute. He was kind enough to invite me to his table where we talked about how the musicians now are not researching and are just playing to play. I told him that I have been advising everyone to stop or to demand decent pay. He said everything is a grind and slow due to various reasons. I know this and agree with him. I ask if he can give me a contact number so I could get some work anywhere. He is not helpful and says everything is grinding down and it is slow now. Tell me about it! Although, I did make $70 in less then an hour on the street corner accross from the Sheriton Beachcomber the night before. I used some punk kids from Wainae to attract a crowd. I think they meant to hijack me until I asked them to help me sing Hawaiian Supa Man followed by Over The Rainbow and Marley's I wanna love you. They fired up the ganga and offered me as well as an undercovered cop a hit. I know cause my dad was a cop and I can spot em a mile away. We both refused, of course. When I left, I told them to go home and stop looking for trouble. The said, "no worry uncle" and went their way. That was me about 40 years ago. Eddie says I am better off doing that then playing for the hotels. Meanwhile, Mike Kaawa is busy setting up and I wish Eddie the best and go sit at a table in front of the stage so I could watch everyone's fingers. I get up and serve myself some water from the table in the middle of the room. For some reason, the waitresses don't seem to see me, even though I am wearing my best Hawaiian shirt. Still, I feel proud that they are treating me like a local. Finally the boys start playing Hula O Makee. Awesome and emotionally wrenching for me. So I walk out and stare through the mist. I miss my dad, an avid Hawaiian music fanatic who listened to nothing else. I miss my family, 5000 miles beyond where my dad is resting. I miss my friends and students, who help validate my work. The waitress yells from the door that my food has been sitting at my table inside and I quickly devour a mahi sandwich. That is the first time she has talked to me after being there for 1 and a half hours. Even the people who sit next to me have a drink in front of them in less then 5 minutes. I guess I look too local or something. I certainly do not look like a golfer. Lousy food, lousy mac salad. As I finish my meal and water, Eddie taps me on the shoulder and says, "Hiram... this Keahi. She plays uke and you should talk to her for a bit." I have no idea who she is and invite her to sit. She just wants to get back to her table with her friends but does not want to disrespect Eddie's kind referral. I learn she is teaching uke and is a recording artist. She is making me feel uncomfortable kneeling on the floor so I tell her I can join her at her table. After a while she gives me a card and I realize she is Tony Conjugacion's and braduh Walta's sister. Meanwhile, Chino Montero walks in and my waitress runs up to him and takes his order. The bugga get status yeh... Although I am appaled at the service, I give her a 1 dollar tip anyway. I say goodbye to Keahi and tell both she and Chino that I would love for them to come to my school in SoSF CA, where I can pay them $200 each to do a presentation. They perk up and promise to email or call. I hope they take me up on the offer and will let you bay area fans know if and when it happens. I must leave after only an hour and notice Mike motioning in mid-song where I was going. I have to take care of family matters and wave as I leave, making sure to thank Uncle Eddie for his help before I left.
I went to see Mrs. Britni Paiva at Borders and talked to her and her lovely mom. Britni graciously introduced me to the audience and played a short set in her usual inimatable style. I yelled hana hou and she did a piece she wrote. I asked her to sing and she gushed and stammered the she's too embarrased. I know she can sing!!
I went to scrounge for coins again in Waikiki on Thursday and only made $2. Bad night. I would have made $3 but persuaded a homeless person to take back one of the two dollars he gave me. I heard music from where Auntie Genoa used to play and saw Auntie Momi there. I told her I was sorry about Genoa and we talked for a bit. It was a comfort to have her caringly rubbing my arm as we talked. She pointed out that Genoa's daughter was filling in now and that they still gig at the Kaiulani. Auntie Genoa's daughter, I forgot the name, is pretty and has her mom's voice. I will try to go se them at the Kaiulani. I say goodbye and leave, jumping in the pool first. When I get out of the pool, I notice an asian man with a uke and asked him if he was interested in lessons. He does not speak english. I notice securty scrutinizing me and decide to leave. As I pass them I say aloha and continue toward the street as they follow me all the way out. I'm used it. Gotta go... More later

Stay Tuned...

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  9:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Hiram,

I'm thinking of you. Picturing you on a street corner in Waikiki with an open guitar case on the ground in front of you????? How long will you be there?

Aloha nui loa,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Aloha Julie,
Wish you were here. With you dancing, I think we could make at least minimum wage. People rather see one babe dancing hula then one moke strumming uku's! I can back you up on harmonica when you get tired dancing, so bring your uke. Hurry though, I am leaving next Tuesday. Say hi to da guy in your eye. See you in Hayward.
A hui hou...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  7:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Hiram,

Thanks for the "BABE" comment! Love you!

Julie

Ha! I may be old, but I'm not dead yet!
Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  04:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Hiram, This post flashed me back to the City, 1973, and the feelings I had. I was a street musician, (starving, of course), in a classical woodwind quintet working my way through music school. It was quite marked as to the day that everybody realized that it was recession time. The take plummeted. In one week. Keep on truckin, See you with the Hui.

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000