Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Where to eat healthy on O`ahu?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  06:34:12 AM  Show Profile
As most of you are aware, because of my heart problems, I am on a low-salt, low-fat diet. Paul has voluntarily decided to follow this diet as well. I am worried about how to eat healthy when we go O`ahu in a few week. I think Loco Moco is a bit over the top for my diet. Same thing for just about anything at Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab. One of the hints the doc gave for eating out is to right away put half of your meal in a take-out box. That works if you are at home and can reheat your left overs. What suggestions do you guys have for places to go, foods to eat, etc., in order to keep heart healthy and still enjoy the bounties of Hawaiian cuisine? Paul is happy to eat fish 3 meals a day, and he does not mind poke, sashimi and lomilomi, but me and raw fish...well, let's just say, those with compromised imune systems like diabetics, should not eat raw or undercooked meats and fish and eggs. It is mostly the salt I am worrying about. Way too much salt in shoyu. I am allowed 2300 0mg per day, which is about one teaspoon of salt for a whole days worth. That is not added salt, either. It includes naturally occuring sodium and many fish and sea foods naturally have plenty.

I might have to eat haupia or that almond jello kind of stuff for every meal. Even miso soup has way too much salt.

Help!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Wanda,

Down to Earth on King Street and Umeke Market across from Kahala Mall come to mind. They both have ready-made foods, or you can take pre-made food home, or you can buy groceries.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  07:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm trying to eat healthy like you, Wanda, mainly to lose weight and get healthier. I've found that restaurants and producers of ready-to-eat foods don't have our best interests in mind. After many years of island-style eating, i.e. too much food at any one sitting, I'm trying to eat only things I prepare myself, or fresh fruits, nuts and vegetables, or just nibbling at restaurants, instead of gorging to get my "money's worth". When you go to restaurants to hear music, find a drink you like and then just nibble at the pupus. Eat hearty only when you know what's in it. I've focused on food for decades and now I'm trying to focus on life and make all the yummy foods a secondary factor.
Of course, listening to my advice about food is like getting a lecture on temperance from a drunk.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Darin - that you so much for the advice. I will carry a list with me when we go.

Jesse - Darling - that is like preaching to the choir. I got in this trouble by eating all the loco moco and prawns dripping in butter and all the nice salty kalua pig and spam musubi, etc. When Emeril said "Pork Fat Rules", buddy, I was in wholehearted agreement. When Paula Deen makes stuff with a whole stick of butter and a pint of cream, etc., oh man-o-man, that was the stuff I wanted. Well guess what? I still want it. But I have learned that staying away from salt and fat beats the heck out of having your chest sliced open and having your heart stopped beating to they can patch in new circulation, and hoping to heck that they know how to start the heart back up again. Scary stuff; painful stuff and not worth it. Believe me. Eating out in restaurants is the most difficult part of this. I can cook the right stuff at home. I still want to travel, but it is much more difficult and frankly, I do not want to have to cook and do dishes on vacation.

Does anyone know of farmers markets on O`ahu where we can get some fresh fruits not from Chile or Argentina or something? I want a mango so ripe and juicy that it runs down my chin and I make a mess. I don't care, because I am washable. When you do not use salt or fat, then the ingredients have to be as good as you can get. And really, what is more better than grilled fish straight from the sea or prawns that were swimming that morning, or fruit that is warm from the sun. Just a banana picked right in front of you is a joy to behold. So different from the mealy, tasteless bananas we get over here.

As far as losing weight, do not think diet. That connotates a temporary thing. No -- all you have to do is reduce your portion size. Instead of a whole slab of ribs, 3 or 4 bones is enough. Instead of 3 or 4 pieces of chicken, one is enough (OK two if you have wings). Do not need half a dozen donuts at one sitting. And those beers, wines and umbrella drinks have plenty calories. Reduce portion size. And increase metaolism a little. I have been very successful at losing weight. When I was pregnant with our youngest daughter, I weighed 220 lbs. Now I am in the mid 130-s. I reduced my portion size. And for special times like holidays, I don't berate myself or deny myself special goodies. When the occasion is over, I just go back to doing the right thing. It is really that simple. Also, when you get a "taste" for something specific. Have a little of it. If you keep denying and denying yourself, you will make yourself crazy, plus you will binge. At our cardiac rehab class, the physiologist told us that denying yourself a food you want is like holding your breath. What happens? Your body needs air so badly that it makes you breathe whether you want to or not. Same thing will happen if you completely eliminate fats or deny yourself a piece of chocolate or a dish of ice cream. Just don't eat the whole carton in one sitting.

Two important things: cut back amount of salt & fat.
2. So some movement that will get your heart pumping. Heart is a muscle which must be exercised just like any skeletal muscle in order to be efficient. Use it or lose it.

And tell me more restaurants/markets.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Of course, listening to my advice about food is like getting a lecture on temperance from a drunk.
That's funny. The same goes for me too but what the heck...

My mother-in-law is vegetarian and likes the vegetarian offerings at Mini Garden. I have yet to try it.

Mini Garden Orient & Vegetarian Cuisine
2065 South Beretania Street
Telephone: 808.946.3828

Whole Foods is coming to Oʻahu, but I do not know when they're opening.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

That's funny. The same goes for me to but what the heck...
For those of you who haven't seen Andy, he is built like a #2 pencil - skinniest guy I know. Are you REALLY worried about your appearance, dude?

If you're worried about your heart, I get that.

I appreciate everyone's concern about healthy eating - especially in Hawai`i. But I can't offer any advice. I would fast 48 weeks a year just to eat like crap when I am in Hawai`i. (And then I suppose the sudden change in diet would kill me.)

I guess in that vein, I can offer some places you should avoid:

Ono Hawaiian Foods
Helena's Hawaiian Kicthen
Mitsu-Ken
Rainbow Drive-Inn
Leonard's
Sunny Day (Kaimuki)
Million Café
Sorabol
Green Papaya

If you are not eating health-conscious, consider this my official endorsement of all of these joints.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile
There is a farmers Market at the Old Sugar Mill in Waialua (head to Haleiwa and take a left at the first traffic circle.) I can't remember which days though, I think Fri-Sun. It is a favorite of the locals with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables even Waialua Coffee.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  09:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

If you're worried about your heart, I get that.
High cholesterol is my problem.

This link might help lead you to some organic and/or natural food and drink.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Wanda: info on farmer's markets: http://www.hfbf.org/FarmersMarket.html

and this: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/add/farmers-market-in-hawaii/RuralOahuSites

My favorite healthy thing to eat when I go home: fresh papaya. If it's not sweet enough, pour a little lemon juice over it. And it's good for your digestion too.

I don't know about their salt/sugar levels, but I can tell you that Dean's in Kane`ohe allows you to substitute brown rice for white and green salad (good greens too - not just iceberg lettuce) for mac salad. See the Advertiser's review: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Nov/09/en/hawaii711090305.html The only bad things about Dean's - parking is a challenge, and there's very little seating. Go before the lunch rush - it's worth it.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  10:48:20 AM  Show Profile
In addition to the afore mentioned Mini Garden. What other vegetarian places are there in the areas of Honolulu, Kane`ohe and Kailua. We will be on O`ahu, May 8-18.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 04/24/2008 11:36:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  1:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Wanda, in Honolulu, there is a great farmers' market at the Kapiolani Community College ("KCC") every Saturday morning. KCC is just outside of Waikiki, across the street from the entrance to the Diamond Head hike. There are lots of local vegetables available, lots of organic foods, and a decent assortment of fruits. They also sell flowers, collectibles, etc., but the main focus is locally grown vegetables. I particularly like the little tomatos when available. They're so sweet, they almost taste like grapes. :) You need to get there early. Lots of things sell out by 10 or 11:00. I think it opens around 7:30am, but people get there before it even opens.

http://www.hfbf.org/FarmersMarketKCC.html

Mark, there's a vegetarian dim sum place in the Chinese Cultural Plaza at the edge of Chinatown. I have not tried it. http://www.yelp.com/biz/legends-buddhist-vegetarian-restaurant-honolulu

Darin
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile
If you are in the Kailua area there is a famers market on Tues evening in the Longs parking lot. Happens rain or shine

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  3:14:14 PM  Show Profile
Bill, Andy is *not* like a #2 pencil. *I* am the skinniest guy you know, at 150 and 5'9" and shrinking (I used to be 5' 11"). Andy is built. He is tall and strong, and capable, and he will blush and be upset at me. It is his humble demeanor that makes people think he is skinny and small.

The only thing he needs to prove it to you is a sub-3:00 hr NYC marathon or a 200 bench press (shoot, tiny guys like me did that, so he can). (Andy, I can coach you, you can really do it :-)

His cholesterol problem is genetic and has *nothing* to do with his food choices. He is, as Sarah is, one of the most moderate eaters and drinkers in the world. I have tempted him so many times, with such exotic and wondrous elixirs, that I know positively that he does not like to enjoy life <maybe a G>.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  3:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Bill, Andy is *not* like a #2 pencil. *I* am the skinniest guy you know, at 150 and 5'9" and shrinking (I used to be 5' 11"). Andy is built. He is tall and strong, and capable, and he will blush and be upset at me. It is his humble demeanor that makes people think he is skinny and small.
When have you seen Andy with his shirt off? You're scaring me.

And, I stand corrected. YOU are the skinniest guy I know.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile
It's been a few years since I made it to O'ahu, but last time I was there I saw a branch of the old favorite from the Hilo farmer's market- Broke da Mouth. All good fresh food from the farmer's market- salads, kalo, uala, ulu- all kine good healthy grinds, with great dressings to choose from. Really as healthy, low fat, low sodium as you can get. It was my favorite in Hilo- except for the Royal Siam (great Thai food!) right across the street, but that is high fat, high sodium, high heat, high quality food- some of the best Thai food anywhere.

Of course, soon after Broke Da Mouth disappeared from the farmer's market in Hilo- either they were making too much money on O'ahu or the attempt to expand bankrupted them. They were right downtown- I was doing some research in the State Archives as I recall, and went looking for some lunch. Check the phone book and see if they are still around- you'll be glad you did if they are!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
quote:
He is, as Sarah is, one of the most moderate eaters and drinkers in the world.

Andy is one of the most moderate eaters and drinkers in the world?

Darin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000