Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Today is Martin Purdy's 90th Birthday 4/25/08
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  11:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Who is Martin Ikua Purdy, Sr.? He is the son of Ikua Purdy? Who is Ikua Purdy? He is one of the Hawaiian Paniolo's of legend and song, "Kilakila Na Roughrider" and "Waiomina".

Ikua Purdy is the only Hawaiian Paniolo to be elected to The National Cowboy Hall Of Fame, inducted in 1999. At the time the following bio was written, that honor was yet to be bestowed upon him.

http://www.kamuela.com/pps/paniolo.htm

Both Ikua and his son, Martin are in the Paniolo Hall Of Fame.

http://www.parkerranch.com/Parker-Ranch/473/paniolo-hall-of-fame

My wife Denise, and I had the great pleasure to meet Martin, his daughter Kulia, and Martin's wife Doris Johnson, while they were visiting the Santa Cruz area a few days ago on family business. Our friend Celina Gutierrez, http://celinasongs.com/ introduced us to them.

We visited with them 3 times while they were in town. They are now back in Kamuela near the Parker ranch where Martin worked as a Paniolo all his life. We all had a great time talking story. Celina sang songs to Martin and Denise did a few Hulas.

Doris just brought tears to everyones eyes when she did the most beautiful sitting hula to Braddah Smitty's version of "He Punahele No `Oe (Only You)", but before that, she did a pretty saucy hula to "`Ulupalakua".

It was a special treat and an honor to meet an actual link to some Hawaiian Paniolo history. Martin's spirit had a great impact on me.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow - what a coincidence you should mention Only You, Norman. I was just listening to it in the car today on the way to and from cardiac rehab. I was once again so fascinated and amazed at Braddah Smitty's talent and versatility. The mix of songs on the CD range from old Hawaiian stuff to hapa-haole stuff to original stuff written by he himself. Only You is such a beautiful and romantic song and Smitty's deep, sonorous voice fits that song so perfectly.

Anyone on Big Island know what Smitty is up to? I hope his health is good. He has great mana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  2:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
One of my cousins married a Purdy from the Big Island. While listening to Na Palapalai sing "Waiomina", I told my nine-year-old son that we have a link (okay, pretty tenuous) to that 90 year old song. He looked at me like I was crazy. Oh well.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  5:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
The DVD "Paniolo O Hawai'i" has a number of references to the Purdy family.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  04:48:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sandman

The DVD "Paniolo O Hawai'i" has a number of references to the Purdy family.

Sandy

Sandy,

Yes, quite an interesting DVD. I was amazed to see footage about how they got the cattle from the beach to the ships anchored off shore, and all the talk story at the ranch was great.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  04:58:14 AM  Show Profile
That film is great and the CD with the music is wonderful as well. Some of the talk story made me want to cry. But then again, look at me cross-eyed and I'll cry. I don't know if any of you ever heard and old song, "Old Shep" about a boy and his dog. My maw would just begin to sing that song and I would cry and cry and cry. If she were here today and sang it, I would cry. Matter of fact, I'm getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. This must be remember Mom day for some reason.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  7:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
You know I often fantasize about writing a screen play about that competition in Waiomina!!! Someone needs to do it as that would be interesting, could be funny and of course would be very educational...could have some Parker Ranch background. Also I can't even imagine those 3 guys traveling from Hawaii to Wyoming and then borrowing horses and kicking butt!!! What did those cowboys make of the Hawaiians. I'd have loved to be there!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000