Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pidgin faux pas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  12:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Now I feel like a doofus. I frequently use the word "sheesh" to mean something like "for goodness sake" or "oh, my goodness" or "golly". Whilst thumbing through Da Kine Dictionary today, I learned that "sheesh" is short for shi shi. I apologize profusely if I have offended anyone. E kala mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile
"I learned that "sheesh" is short for shi shi."

First time I heard this one.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  1:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Me too.. First time I heard "sheesh" for shi shi. C'mon on. It sounds so weird you know.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  1:52:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Whilst thumbing through Da Kine Dictionary today, I learned that "sheesh" is short for shi shi.
Eh Ma, I bet one malihini wen go write dat dictionary. Go trow dat buggah in da compost heap and let da irtworms learn someting new.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  3:02:48 PM  Show Profile
The dictionary was written by Lee Tonouchi, Da Pidgin Guerilla. He is co-editor of "Hybolics" literary magazine, writer of da award-winning Pidgin short story collection, "Da Word", and author of da essay collection "Living Pidgin: Contemplations on Pidgiin Culture". I also believe I have read that he wrote his master's thesis in Pidgin. I do believe he is an edumacated man. Go look Da Kine Dictionary, page 82. It says sheesh is short for shi shi. I guess sometimes shi shi is too much effort to say so it gets shortened to sheesh. That word was entered into his dictionary by Joy Sakaguchi, Sacred Hearts grad 2001. I never like to be rude. Matter of fact, I am the rude police. Ask my daughters. They got busted plenny. My motto is "Help Stamp out Rude", therefore, I must set a fine example.

Well, then maybe I did not offend anyone if it is not a well known turn of the phrase. Whew. I guess I do not have to do pennance. I'm not Catholic, so I really don't know how to do them "Hail Marys".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 04/26/2008 3:03:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  4:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I never heard that take on it either. As a kid I never heard sheesh used in place of shi shi. But we do have foul mouthed crows in this area...kaaa kaaa :)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  4:54:37 PM  Show Profile
We used sheesh as kids just how Wanda was using it.But we never heard of pidgin till just a few years ago. I think sheesh must have different meanings in diferent languages just as Ohio does.I think Ohio means good morning or hello in Japanese. But I don't know much other than english nowhow.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I think sheesh must have different meanings in diferent languages just as Ohio does.I think Ohio means good morning or hello in Japanese.
Eh Pa. Good morning in Japanese is spelled "ohayo" as in "ohayo gozaimasu".

Eh Lee Tonouchi. YOU'RE FIRED!!

Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  7:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Sheesh. There's your problem. An edumacated man trying to write one book on pidgeon and one girl from one private school submitting the entry.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  04:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Wanda. No worry. I have my shoe size stamped on the roof of my mouth! Just change'm to "Geeesh"!
It's interesting to note that "dirt" and "muck", both good English words, are cognates of rather coarse Norwegian words. People need certain words at certain times. The harsher the consonants, the greater the stress relief. Make up yer own.
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  05:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
It's not pidgin but it's funny how certain words have different meanings in different countries.

When I was a young man in New Zealand I asked a girl for a date and she said sure, why don't you come around and knock me up about 8.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  05:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Sheesh! I thought a pigeons faux pas were called wings and the hine pas, drumsticks.

dog
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  05:35:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

That word was entered into his dictionary by Joy Sakaguchi, Sacred Hearts grad 2001.

If this word entered local parlance in 2001, it's no wonder most of us haven't heard of it. I think TPers tend to skew on the older side (including me).

As for "ohaiyoo," it's a very polite form of the word "early," (hayai). "Ohaiyoo gozaimasu" literally means "it's early" in very very polite Japanese.

I always thought (and Retro and I were talking about this) "sheesh," like "geez" and "gee whiz," were all ways of exclaiming without taking the Lord's name in vain.

Some words just sound sinister (apologies to the left handed) going from language to language. I've never actually checked, but I would guess not many Japanese nationals would voluntarily visit Oaxaca in Mexico because it sounds too much like the Japanese word for grave.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  06:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
OK... Ever the killjoy, while I don't speak the language, the reference to the language needs to made more consistent, I think.

It's pidgin. It has nothing to do with the bird (pigeon) or the British proper name (Pidgeon).

I took off my music hat and put on my linguistics hat (the only thing in which I have any formal training whatsoever, so I am a little passionate about precision)...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  06:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Bing - that is so funny! Did you knock her up at 8:00?

And yeah, what Momi says -- sheesh is to keep you ma from jumping on you about using Jeez, which she knows is taking the Lord's name in vain. I nevah like get strike by lightnin'. Or get a switch dirty lickins from Ma.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  06:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I sure hope not, Wanda

Bing
Go to Top of Page