Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Met descendent of Augustino Dias
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile
We had the pleasure of staying at Otters' Pond B&B (www.otterspond.com) on Orcas Island, WA. The owners are Carl and Sue Silvernail. Sue is a descendent of Augustino Dias, one of the original luthiers from Portugal who introduced the ukulele to Hawaii in 1879. We hit it off when they learned of my involvement with Hawaiian music groups and my hobby building ukuleles. I strongly recommend you stay with Carl and Sue if you have the chance. They are the most gracious hosts, and Sue is an excellent chef! Oh ya, and you can talk Hawaiiana.
PS Reference is made to Dias at www.ukes.com/ukulele_history.html

Rich Smith

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:43:46 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Rich! Is that serendipity or what? I find that we are often times guided somewhere that we are supposed to be -- at that particular place in time, meeting a particular person for a very specific reason. I mean what are the percentages in someone with your skills and talents meeting someone with that background. How cool.

And that B&B sure looks like a very lovely, peaceful place.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, you are right, it was serendipity - is there a Hawaiian term for that?

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
rich - "serendipity" is "ūlialia pōmaikaʻi", literally fortunate coincidence. you can say "he ūlialia pōmaikaʻi nō!"

here's a link to augusto dias: http://www.ukulele.org/?Inductees:2002-2003:Augusto_Dias

i've never heard his first name in the diminutive, but looking at his picture, he was a cute guy...

do carl and sue have any old dias `ukulele kicking around?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Keith, I believe the ukes.com site gave his name as Augustine which definitely is not the Portuguese way of spelling. It could very well have been Augusto. I am sure Carl would have loved to have one of his ukuleles. Mahalo for the language lesson and link.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  03:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I stumbled upon this bit of talk story on You Tube about a man named Joao Fernandes, done by his great great grand-daughter which talks about him first bringing the `ukulele to Hawai`i. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hmdcSKzoHs

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000