Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pidgin faux pas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Girigiri Boy
HO da scoldings I wen get off-screen for calling Auntie Momi, "Auntie". So Hard, I Tried.

Dat's because you're not pure of heart, you're just slow!

Edited by - Momi on 04/30/2008 12:54:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

quote:
Originally posted by Girigiri Boy
HO da scoldings I wen get off-screen for calling Auntie Momi, "Auntie". So Hard, I Tried.

Dat's because you're not pure of heart, you're just slow!

Pure of girigiri, perhaps (and yes, I did see the edit in the quote...) Note the acronym of his last phrase.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  2:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Braddah Ed - I never noticed what you did. Now you are kolohe buggah who deserves dirty lickiins. I need to call Mrs. Guava Sunrise so she can put you in your place. Like I said, I am the rude police. But see, Gregg, I wouldn't have caught that unless you pointed it out to me, so I must be pure of heart. (Paul is not allowed to comment on that).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Note the acronym of his last phrase.
Beeg mout!!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  7:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Maybe it's time I started calling you "Uncle Girigiri," yah?
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  9:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Garan ball baran, wen you hana inu the Lucky Lager or Royal or Schlitz or Primo and you taste the flat one, you goin say, "Sheesh! This buggah flat". Afta'wyle, wen pau kill 2 six pacs, garan ball baran, you goin say, "I goin shiish" coz you so plastered you goin drop the "i"! Which, fo stretch da tale, is the happy go lucky way fo say, "I stay all plas'ted". Lucky you come Hawaii!

Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  03:34:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

Garan ball baran, wen you hana inu the Lucky Lager or Royal or Schlitz or Primo and you taste the flat one, you goin say, "Sheesh! This buggah flat".
Eh Unko, in my drinking days dem flat beeyahs neva boddered me. What used to boddah me was sometimes I would be tanking one bottle Primo anden while looking chru da bottle I would spock one dead B-52 kakaroach looking back at me. Dey nevah used to wash da recycled bottles too good dem days. Dass was when I would yell, "Sheesh! Gimme one nodda beeyah fo wash out my mout!" Anden pau. Next beeyah...
quote:
Afta'wyle, wen pau kill 2 six pacs, garan ball baran, you goin say, "I goin shiish" coz you so plastered you goin drop the "i"!
I nevah used to say dat eedah, Unko. I always used to say, "I going talk to da bushes."

Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  04:59:34 AM  Show Profile
"I nevah used to say dat eedah, Unko. I always used to say, "I going talk to da bushes."

In Waipi'o, they say "I'm going to talk to the President."

Edited by - ypochris on 05/01/2008 05:00:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile
2 six packs of beer, definitely will get you going.

And then for the day after, from www.alohaworld.com:
Hung Ova Soup
Recipe Number: 1051203524
Contributor: Doreen

Ingredients:
1 lb. pork, cut into bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp dried cooking opae (shrimp)
5 c. water
2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. sugar
1 lg. bunch chinese mustard cabbage, cut into 1" pieces.
1 bunch watercress, cut into 1" pieces.
1/2 a Napa Cabbage (Won bok)
Cooking Instructions:
Place cut up pork into a large pot, with garlic & water. Add salt, sugar & opae. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium & let simmer till pork is tender, about 30 minutes. Bring soup to a rolling boil again.. and add all of vegetables at one time. Using a ladle, push veggies down into broth. Turn heat off. Let sit for 10 minutes. Enjoy, with a bowl of rice!
Additional Comments:
From my Pake Uncle Timmy of Liliha (Luv u, Unko!) This soup is great, especially after a night of partying & all hung ova!!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Sheesh is not shi shi...daz someting toetalee different. All my life shi shi meant go lua. Shees is like geez...so many kin mis cahmueNeKasons...lol

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
All my life shi shi meant go lua
yup! It's from the Japanese... does pidgin ever use the hawaiian "mimi"?

ah, those na`ina`i mimi days...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

The dictionary was written by Lee Tonouchi, Da Pidgin Guerilla. He is co-editor of "Hybolics" literary magazine, writer of da award-winning Pidgin short story collection, "Da Word", and author of da essay collection "Living Pidgin: Contemplations on Pidgiin Culture". I also believe I have read that he wrote his master's thesis in Pidgin. I do believe he is an edumacated man. Go look Da Kine Dictionary, page 82. It says sheesh is short for shi shi. I guess sometimes shi shi is too much effort to say so it gets shortened to sheesh. That word was entered into his dictionary by Joy Sakaguchi, Sacred Hearts grad 2001. I never like to be rude. Matter of fact, I am the rude police. Ask my daughters. They got busted plenny. My motto is "Help Stamp out Rude", therefore, I must set a fine example.

Well, then maybe I did not offend anyone if it is not a well known turn of the phrase. Whew. I guess I do not have to do pennance. I'm not Catholic, so I really don't know how to do them "Hail Marys".

I have nver heard "sheesh" used as short for "shi shi." But I am from Hilo. As a more modern Pidgin word used by Sacred Hearts students, it makes more sense. I think that school is kind of preppy, so girls would be unlikely to actually say "shi shi," but would use a "cute" form.

Personally, I would categorize the word as "slang, high school, female, upper-income," rather than true Pidgin. Though I did not write my thesis or dissertation in Pidgin, some of my articles on Pidgin were published some years ago, and I did lecture on the topic at Hilo's community college, and the community college on Kauai.

A side note: Our "code" in Hilo for that was to say in English, "5-4-4." When you say the numbers in Japanese, they are, "go shi shi."

:-)
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 08/14/2008 6:39:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  5:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

[quote]
. . . And don't get me started on Chi Chi...

Great golfer!

:-)
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  5:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

quote:
All my life shi shi meant go lua
yup! It's from the Japanese... does pidgin ever use the hawaiian "mimi"?

ah, those na`ina`i mimi days...

aloha,
keith

We wen use 'em, but wuz taught fo' nevah say 'em in public. As `ohana-kine words. Private use on'y, like wit yo maddah folks. An' no say 'em aroun' da kine - girls if you one boy - BIG likkin's fo dat! An if you one girl, NO say 'em aroun' boys, not even yo' faddah!

Lay-taz!
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Sheesh some of yu tease da private school girl nuttin wrng wit dat. jeez I went St louis but I jus as lolo as you all is. Aftah I wen take ʻōlelo class I use mimi but befoa I used to say pay da wata bill or see a man about a horse or water da yard. any kine we use fo say fo go batroom right Robin?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000