Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 2008 Nā Hōkū Hanohano Award Nominations Announced
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  8:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Peter,

This was my first year on the board, and while I wasn't on the selection committee I did participate in some discussions with them regarding placements of certain acts in particular categories. To me it is very important that at least the process is above reproach. Labels and artists did enter themselves in inappropriate categories and were moved. This could be because they don't understand the criteria or there may indeed be an attempt to circumvent the rules. This of course applies to the preliminary ballot only.

As far as the final ballot, it is the call of the membership. Obviously some labels have more employees registered as members than others, and some artists have more friends who are members than others. While HARA encourages members to vote for quality over friendships and label affiliations, but members are human.

Over the years I've lamented the failure of many artists to even make a single final ballot. Kawika Kahiapo's "Alana" was one of my favorite releases of the 1990s, but didn't garner a single nomination in the year that it was released. I was thrilled to see him and Kaukahi get honored last year.

One thing that I should point out that in both HARA and NARAS membership fluctuates. Some artists let their memberships lapse in years that they don't have product entered, and sign up again when they do. If members would commit to the organization, continue their memberships and vote in years they have no product and vested interest in the awards, AND vote on quality over personal considerations, the awards might reflect that.

As you say, no matter what happens at Nā Hōkū Hanohano (or the Grammys) the sun will rise the next morning and hopefully people will continue to make great music.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Auntie Maria,

Was Leokane Prior's album Home Malanai released in 2007? I got a sneak preview and absolutely love that album, but I was not aware that it was released yet.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Aloha Keola,

How’s life in Te Wähi Pounamu? Is UO neat or what? Back here as you know, it’s the end of the semester when life gets real crazy. I am slowly getting back on my feet (literally) but I still have to deal with final grades for spring, fall registration, requests for prerequisite overrides to get into my classes and the subsequent auditions -- and then there’s the issue of tonight’s potluck for the students.

Thanks for sharing the info on the annual ritual that the HARA board has to go through. Membership is always going to be a problem; there is no way around it. I’ll admit that I was once a member many years ago when I was young, but I have since withdrawn into academia – it’s less of a headache. If I had the time, I think I would get more involved if I saw an issue that would have a negative affect upon traditional process and how it pertains to Hawaiian culture and arts. But that’s why you’re there. Any who, I’m glad that the sun rises everyday and that we are at the top of the food chain. Take care,
PM

quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

Aloha Peter,

This was my first year on the board, and while I wasn't on the selection committee I did participate in some discussions with them regarding placements of certain acts in particular categories. To me it is very important that at least the process is above reproach. Labels and artists did enter themselves in inappropriate categories and were moved. This could be because they don't understand the criteria or there may indeed be an attempt to circumvent the rules. This of course applies to the preliminary ballot only.

As far as the final ballot, it is the call of the membership. Obviously some labels have more employees registered as members than others, and some artists have more friends who are members than others. While HARA encourages members to vote for quality over friendships and label affiliations, but members are human.

Over the years I've lamented the failure of many artists to even make a single final ballot. Kawika Kahiapo's "Alana" was one of my favorite releases of the 1990s, but didn't garner a single nomination in the year that it was released. I was thrilled to see him and Kaukahi get honored last year.

One thing that I should point out that in both HARA and NARAS membership fluctuates. Some artists let their memberships lapse in years that they don't have product entered, and sign up again when they do. If members would commit to the organization, continue their memberships and vote in years they have no product and vested interest in the awards, AND vote on quality over personal considerations, the awards might reflect that.

As you say, no matter what happens at Nā Hōkū Hanohano (or the Grammys) the sun will rise the next morning and hopefully people will continue to make great music.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  10:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Peter,
Glad to hear that things are looking up. Take Care.
quote:
Any who, I’m glad that the sun rises everyday and that we are at the top of the food chain.

I like that one and will use it often.
MKM

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  2:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Peter, nice to hear you're getting back on your feet.

I'll email you offline, but Aotearoa has been great, making great progress in developing my research proposal and should be ready to hit the ground running when we return in early-July. Starting to get cold though - too darn close to Antarctica!

E malama pono,
Keola
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  7:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

and that we are at the top of the food chain.

All I can hear in my head now is "lions and tigers and bears - oh my!"
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  05:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Tis rapidly approaching that time of the year when all the stars will be twinkling brightly. Would anyone car to speculate or prognosticate? This little exercise is just to see who can come closest to picking who the voting members have chosen. It is not an exercise in who our personal favorites are or who we like better than the other nominees. Kinda like those academy award parties, although, long distance and through cyber-space. Also, does anyone know what time the broadcast will begin streaming and from where it may be accessed.

Mahalo.

Here are my prognostications:
Group of the Year
Best performance by a vocal duo or group
• MAUNALUA, Hoʻokanaka (Lokahi)
----------------
Female Vocalist of the Year
Best performance by a female artist
RAIATEA HELM, Hawaiian Blossom (Raiatea Helm)
--------------
Male Vocalist of the Year
Best performance by a male artist
• HOKU ZUTTERMEISTER, ‘Aina Kupuna (Kaleiola)
------------------
Compilation Album of the Year
Producer’s award. Best performance of newly released material by a minimum of three distinct artists. Award to local
producer.
• SONGS FROM HAWAI‘I ISLAND, Various Artists (Daniel Ho Creations) Keoki Kahumoku, producer
----------------
Religious Album of the Year
Best performance of religious material
• REDEEMED, Gary Haleamau (GSK)
Most Promising Artist(s) of the Year
----------------------
Most Promising first-recorded effort as a featured artist or group
• DARIN LEONG, Five Years and Many Miles (Darin Leong)
----------------------
Contemporary Album of the Year
Best performance of music in a contemporary style
• ONE OF THESE DAYS, John Cruz (Lilikoi)
-------------------------
Anthology of The Year
Producer’s award — best album of previously released material. Award to local producer.
• BILL ALI‘ILOA LINCOLN HAWAII’S FALSETTO POET, Bill Ali‘iloa Lincoln (Cord International/Hana Ola) Harry B. Soria, Jr., producer
---------------------
Island Music Album of the Year
Best performance of the music of Hawaii in the contemporary style.
• HE‘EIA, Cyril Pahinui (Dancing Cat)
-------------------
Music Video DVD of the Year
Best performance of music and video on a DVD (75% musical performance).
• KUKAHI - LIVE IN CONCERT, Keali‘i Reichel (Punahele)
----------------
Instrumental Album of The Year
Best instrumental performance
• FIVE YEARS AND MANY MILES, Darin Leong (Hawaii Guitar)
-------------------
Hawaiian Album of The Year
Best performance of Hawaiian music
• ‘ĀINA KUPUNA, Hoku Zuttermeister (Kaleiola)

Christmas Album of the Year
Best performance of music with a Christmas theme.
• A HAWAIIAN CHRISTMAS, Amy Hanaiali‘i (Tiki Man)
-------------------
Song of the Year
Composer’s award for best achievement in creating a first-time recorded song
• “Kane‘ohe” by Nathan Aweau from KANE’OHE, Nathan Aweau (Bass Plus Music Arts)
-------------------
Album of the Year
Best Compact Disc release of the year. Award to local resident artist and producer.
• ‘AINA KUPUNA, Hoku Zuttermeister (Kaleiola) Hökü Zuttermeister & Dave Tucciarone, producers
----------------
Favorite Entertainer of the Year
Voted on by the public
• NATHAN AWEAU, Kane‘ohe

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  06:00:42 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria,
DITTO!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000