Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Malama English, too
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Not that I am the grammar police, but this is a peeve of mine, kind of like a mosquito biting you and just an irritating itch -- no big disease, just little bit bothering.

There - The guitar is over there.
Their - Their voices sound beautiful.

irregardless - is not a word -- it is regardless.

nite is not a word -- night is the correct way to spell the time when it gets dark outside.

Also an apostrophe does not make a plural. An apostrophe designates a possesive word. (Kimo's guitar is a Simon and Patrick.)
or contractions (Kimo's so handome!) The apostrophe and s indicate that the author is conveying "Kimo is" in a bit shorter manner. It is also used to make the feeling of the words less formal.

It is not a safety deposit box, rather a safe deposit box.

Now I know I make lots of typos when I post here. I think my brain thinks much faster than my fingers can move. Also sometimes, I mash keys too hard and get multiples of the same character. I know there is a way that you can change the "feel" of the keys, I just cannot remember how to do it. I promise I will try to ensure I have no typos and grammar mistakes. E kala mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 05/06/2008 5:45:01 PM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Not that I am the grammar apolice, --- I promise I will try to ensure I have no typos and grammar mistakes.
Just don't forget to enter your PIN number at the ATM machine...

(By the way --- what's "grammar apolice"?)
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  4:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Typical Kitada's Kau-Kau Kitchen morning conversation from years ago. Too bad the place closed. It is today's Kitada's Word of the Day.

brokenvellia.

Scotty Perreira walks in all bus-up. Scratches all over his face, arms and neck. "Eh, Sott...What happen?" (notice the lack of the -ed).

Scotty: "Hoooo, man. I was kina jag las nite. Da hill, by my house, my new Fohd Ranga, I wen sly um off da road. She wen huli upsidown right insai da brokenvellia. Az how I wen go come ly dis."

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Poi Dog,

No doubt the bouganvilla was a brokenvilla once the Ranger landed upside down on top of it!

I think the most misused word pair in the English language is Capital/Capitol.

Capital- Money you have to invest, or the principal city of a state or country.

Capitol- the actual building in that principal city where government business is conducted.

"I put all my capital into my house in the capital of Michigan, from which you can see the Capitol."

(A true statement, by the way!)

Chris
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  4:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
I could care less.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  5:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Nevah mine! You will get used to to it!

Hanalulu! Ouch!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 05/06/2008 5:17:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  5:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Gregg - you caught me -- I am not the best typist any more. Good thing I do not have to make a living as a secretary any more. Why I cannot find my boo-boos when I first type something I'll never know. It is always good to have a second set of eyes looking over something.

Thanks, pal!

I wish brokenvellia would grow over here. It is so pretty.

Chris - don't forget stationary/stationery.

I had to remain stationary for the cardiac catheterization.
The stationery has a water mark.

That is why English is such a hard language to learn. It has dumb stuff that makes no sense.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

I could care less.

You read my mind, Russ. Fingernails + blackboard.
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  1:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Today's Kitada's Word of the Day.

precious

Cisco Barboza (I not related to dis Barboza...I related to da udda Barbozas in Waipahu):

"Hoo...evah since my wife wen get dat, watchakallum? Precious cookah, all she make fo dinnah is lau-lau, lau-lau, lau-lau. You know, you no can oni eat lau-lau, sometime you gotta eat meat!"

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 05/07/2008 2:04:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
"I could care less"

Some people write to convince others- perhaps some testimony in favor of Hawai'ian water rights, or trying to get a grant for conservation or cultural work (for a few examples in my own experience). Others write attempting to appear reputable, so they can get a business loan, or perhaps hope for good grades leading to a higher paying or more satisfying job. Others still simply hope to be writers, and want to be read.

For these, and many other reasons, communicating accurately in the language you choose is essential. Just as Hawaiian scholars cringe when someone says "Hanalooloo" or starts a letter with "Aloha Hapuna", many English speakers have less respect for an opinion or request when it is not written in proper English. If you want to achieve something through your writing or speaking, using the language properly will go a long way towards accomplishing your goal, and using it improperly can be a great barrier to your progress. Of course, if all you stay like do is fo' talk story on da patch, den no boddah wi' dat!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PoiDog

Today's Kitada's Word of the Day.

precious

Cisco Barboza (I not related to dis Barboza...I related to da udda Barbozas in Waipahu):

"Hoo...evah since my wife wen get dat, watchakallum? Precious cookah, all she make fo dinnah is lau-lau, lau-lau, lau-lau. You know, you no can oni eat lau-lau, sometime you gotta eat meat!"

I thought you were related to the Baboozes.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  4:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

I could care less.

You read my mind, Russ. Fingernails + blackboard.

OK this group is right on. I was hoping you guys would get that this phrase was bugging me not that I don't care about proper grammer.
As I often tell Retro.... I couldn't care less!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  4:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Poi Dog, you could write a book of stories. You can get rich, be one famous author. Geev more!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I thought you were related to the Baboozes.

Naught dat eye no off... Now Russ-O...you be nyce!

Braddah Duke,
Dem wuz classic! I can use 'em in June at won small kine get to geta?
I like introduce Michael Waif and his cussin Manu Pali. Can can, no can, no can.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 05/07/2008 5:08:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  7:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
"Less" vs. "fewer."
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  03:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
A friend of mine does a podcast (that has turned into a book and audio book) called "Grammar Girl" that you might be interested in. Each show is only 5-10 minutes and covers one particular aspect of grammar. It's extremely popular (she's been on Oprah so it must be) and well worth checking out (you can listen to the shows in your browser if you like):

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com

She also has an article called "Top Ten Grammar Myths" that has been making its way around the internet lately:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/top-ten-grammar-myths.aspx

Apart from the proper use of apostrophes and there/their, my biggest pet peeves are people who "axe" questions, try to get their point "acrossed," and insist on using their "periphial" vision!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000