Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono grinds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  12:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I use to love "OnoOno Char Burgers" in the Anahola area on Kauai. Duane where are you?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm up on the north shore -- our house and my office are both in Princeville.

As for OnoBurgers in Anahola, it's still here (best french fries on the island!). Just had lunch there last week, complete with hens, roosters, chicks and cats begging at every table. My mo`opuna (grandkids) were glad to "share" with them all.

Forgot to mention that the Mexican restaurant in Kilauea (former home of Kilauea Bakery, before Hurricane `Iniki struck it), has now been replaced with Starvin' Marvin's -- a deli-bakery-catering dining establishment. I can personally recommend their huevos rancheros, desserts (drool), and lasagne.

Dining in Hanalei? Try the fried artichoke hearts at Hanalei Gourmet (in the old schoolhouse, across from Ching Young Village). They tempura those buggahs -- better tasting than the Giant Artichoke in Castroville! ("Artichoke Capital of the World").

Food...glorious food!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  7:53:12 PM  Show Profile
•Fish & Chips at Zelo's in Hanalei
•Potato crusted Mahi Mahi at Bamboo Bamboo in Hanalei
•The whole fish at Pacific Cafe in the Safeway Center near Kapaa
•New little Vietnamese restaurant in the same center
•Malasadas from the stand at K-Mart
•Manapua & Halo Halo from Hamura's

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  11:51:30 PM  Show Profile
You know, it sounds as if you folks just go around the island eating... Mind if I come along? Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  12:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
You know, it sounds as if you folks just go around the island eating...
Always budgeting our time to figure out where we're going to eat. More so than which beach to go to.

Is it bad to discuss where dinner will be over lunch?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  12:56:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Gawd, its emoticon hell:)

cmdr

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  01:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Your lucky piffle. There were more emoticons in my post, but I ate 'em.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  01:29:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow, these food stories really get everyone drooling, and posting. I don't have many posts, but this subject is a favorite of mine! Wherever Jerry and I travel, I am always looking for the best BBQ pork sandwich. The reason is, on my first trip to Honolulu, Jerry (who had been there a number of times before) took me to Pat's at Punahoe when were out for a drive in the countryside. We stopped for lunch at Pat's and I had this fabulous BBQ pork sandwich,with a hint of pineapple juice in the sauce. I have never found one like it anywhere..... Oh to go back to Pat's at Punahoe.... On our trip to Kauai (on the trip I won and graciously took Jerry as my guest) we went looking for a BBQ pork sandwich for me. I finally found a place that had it on the menu, but they were sold out that day. So we went across the street for a burger; me deeply depressed. I ordered the burger and when it arrived, the waitress was also delivering a BBQ pork sandwich to the people next to us!!!! I was so miserable because I had not noticed it was the special for the day. So, Jerry ordered a BBQ sando for me and he ate the burger.... What a guy. I continue to search. Anyone else have a "best" place for the BBQ pork sandwich?

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  02:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Andy, I recommend that you add another heading under General:...
FOOD

Yum, gotta go hit da ice cream bucket now. Julie
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile
I Second the Motion, Julie!

Since everyone's into resturants and foods
Hey Andy, maybe you can look into favorite
recipes.

About 2 years ago there was this organization
that was trying to raise money. So they put together a plan and decided to make a cook book.

So they asked certain entertainers if they did any cooking, If they would'nt mind sharing some of there recipes. They put a cook book out with different musicians recipes, and all proceeds went to the organization.

Of course if you did make a recipe thread, It'll
be for taro patches own use, With "No Money Involved!" I was asked if I could share one of my recipes. There's only 4 things I can do behind a stove. 1. Boil Egg's 2. Fry Egg's 3. make a Hawaiian Size Meat loaf,(but thats another story,) And my Favorite! "Hot Dog, String beans, Hamburger, and Eggs.

That is the recipe I entered in the cook book.
and thats exactly what I call it. Hot Dog, String beans, Eggs, and Hamburger.

There's a story behind it, When I first was dating my wife, She comes from a family where everyone can cook. We were still in high school at the time, and she decided to cook me a meal.

Till this day, I will never forget what she cooked for me for the first time. She made "Beef Tomato" Man! that was the clincher.
from that time, I knew she was going to be the one!...ha,ha.

So what does the "Male Race" do? They try to counter the "Female", and see if they can do it better.ha,ha! So I decided to make her something
and at that time, I could only do 3 things, Play Slack key, Boil Eggs, and Fry Eggs.

I was a senior in high school. I also was living with my older brother and his family for awhile. We'll i called her,( my wife) and told her not to eat, because I was going to make her dinner. I started looking in my brothers ice box, and guess what they had that was available?

So i started on my Master Piece.
STEP ONE: Cut your Hot dogs.
Two: Brown your Hamburgers.
Three: Scramble your Eggs:
Four: Cut your String beans

Put them all in a pot, except for the scramble eggs, that goes last. break up the eggs and put them in after all is cooked good.

After it was done i took it to her, (my wife)
She looked at it, gave a grin, then a smile, and said what is it?....long story short?

I thought she liked me for my Slack Key but found out, It was the, Hot dog, String beans, Hamburger, and Eggs.

Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  3:35:06 PM  Show Profile
If you find yourself on Oahu, here are a couple of places to check out

Rainbows of course for plate lunch. Nothing fancy but all around good. I grew up a few blocks away on Kaunaoa and I remember the corn. I even touched it once. They had pretty good teri pork burgers too if I remember.

W&M in Kaimuki for burgers

KC Drive in for awesome fried rice

Yama's Fish market in McCully for poki, Hawaiian food and some regular plate lunch selections

Kam Bowling Alley Oxtail soup and Oxtail soup

Highway Inn Waipahu-Hawaiian food

Auntie Pastos Makiki side-Good Itallian food my favorite is the calamari steak

Any plate lunch van that has a line.

Liliha bakery-guava chiffon cake.

Manapua and Dim Sum-I can't really name one place since there are quite a few that are top notch. Depends on where you are so ask the closest local.

If you are on the Big Island up country in Waimea check out the Hawaiian Style Cafe. Hamburger Steak home-style. Only get the 1/2 order unless you plan on having it for dinner-I promise.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
allright cdyas, a friend of the corn is a friend of mine...forgot to mention also on the kapahulu strip, mauka of rainbows, ono hawaiian restaurant.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile
You are right I forgot. Great food but you can starve to death waiting in line.

I also forgot Ft. Ruger Market for the Hawaiian Food fresh fish and boiled peanuts. mmmmm
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  5:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody know a (mail order) source for GOOD shave ice syrups (at non-restaurant quantities) - especially the "Tropical flavors?"
Thanks
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You could try the obvious (well...obvious once you see it!):

http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com

or:

http://www.popcornsupply.com/snow_cone_and_shave_ice_supplies.asp

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/13/2003 5:43:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000