Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono grinds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  6:55:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cdyas

If you find yourself on Oahu, here are a couple of places to check out

[snip]

W&M in Kaimuki for burgers

[snip]

YES! Parking is a real pain, but the burgers are worth the wait. Everytime that I go home, I make a stop -- on the way to my parent's house from the airport -- and pick up an order. I've eaten there since small kid time...back when they were located on a corner lot (I think Long's is there now, but I'm not sure).

Great list, btw. I just had to *highlight* W&Ms because it's a fave.

- eric
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You guys are making me so hungry. I think there may really need to be a separate food forum.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  8:36:57 PM  Show Profile
I used shavedice.com before. Syrups aren't all that good. Was hoping someone knew someplace good, maybe in Hawai'i Nei who would ship.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  11:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
How about this one...on the mainland but from da islands!

http://www.jaysshaveice.com/shaveice.html

This one looks like it's from Hawai`i:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hawaiian/shaveicesyrups.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  01:25:37 AM  Show Profile
An L&L in Hayward, huh? Not my favorite, but I'm really surprised, someday I'll have to check that out.

There's a Hawaiian place that's not so good but covers the basics, on 15th & Franklin in Oakland. Lau Lau gets flown in once a week, it has many of the basics like katsu and saimin, and it's the 2nd best $3.25 meal in the area - the best is this Chinese place between 8th & 9th on Webster.

Anything else in the East Bay area worth knowing about?
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  02:09:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

quote:
Hey, anybody know if that bakery's still there in Kilauea, on Kauai ??

Nope. It's gone

However Hamura's in Lihue has the best saimin special. Oki Diner, also in Lihue has good saimin too - they have a garlic saimin

Then there is Bannana Joe's near Kilauea for smoothies!!!

cathe
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  02:12:48 AM  Show Profile

Hey! You forgot to mention the Lillikoi Chiffon Pie at Hamura's. Saimin, huh. Life is short - eat dessert first....Second best lillikoi on da island. . . .firstest is at Wong's in Hanapepe...da kine.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  02:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
As the great Calvin* once said: "I'm not a vegetarian, I'm a desertarian!"

Craig

*The kid who hung around with Hobbes, not the guy who hung around with God.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  12:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Huh!
Ono bes' isn't the saimin at Hamura's, it's the Lillikoi Chiffon Pie. "Life is shsort, eat dessert first".
Da kine Lillikoi is at Wong's in Hanapepe. And in a sub-catagory it's the Lillikoi Ice Cream Cake at Brenneke's.
I've made a serious stsudy of this subject. <burp> Auntie Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  10:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Someone just posted on Fleamarketmusic.com about a place in Seattle called Kona Kitchen with ono grinds. I told him he should post here! I wonder if he has saimin. Maybe I could find out what it is, first hand.

Hey, John Nelson, you been there?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:59:31 AM  Show Profile
We don't get there much any more since we moved down to the San Diego area but Harry's Aloha Chop Suey on Redondo Beach Blvd (near Western) in Gardena (south of L.A.) has the best saimin special this side of Hamura's - also great plate lunches. No Lillikoi Pie though.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
To add to the excellent Hanalei and Kauai recommendations...

Fish Taco or Fish Burrito at Tropical Taco... in Hanalei... used to be the Tropical Taco Truck... Roger's staying cooler and now has indoor space to eat and watch people... and can now get fish either grilled or fried... no diet food here... and the cookies are yummy too. (Aloha to Peg and Emily!)

Zelo's has a new treat too... Tempura Ahi and Shrimp Sushi roll... mmmmm good! Only as pupu on dinner menu...

Heard that Postcards won't be doing breakfast after April 1st...

Aloha nui,
Sandy & Doug
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  1:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Does anybody know a (mail order) source for GOOD shave ice syrups (at non-restaurant quantities) - especially the "Tropical flavors?"
Thanks
Raymond

Raymond,

Did you ever find any good syrups? I was surfing around today and found a link to Jay's Shave Ice. They're in Maryland of all places, but it appears that they make their own syrups and could be the real thing. The 2002 Retail Price List is also listed.

(Oops, nevermind. After posting, I saw cpatch's post. Duh!)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
See, we in the northeast are desperate!!! That's why I import gallons of aloha shoyu and other things to have on hand. Always try have ogo too for lemon shoyu poke ... Oh heaven!!!!! We get really fresh ahi. And crack seed, and calrose rice. We have to buy expensive Japanee rice here, and I'm hoping calrose starts delivering our way. Chinatown in NYC has wonderful preserved fruits, dried squid and cuttlefish treats. Our mangos are so expensive!!!!!! Oh, now I stay ono foah spam, squid and rice.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  10:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Our mangos are so expensive!!!!!!
Hey David,

You got to go to Jersey City's Indian section for mangos. $4 a case in the summertime and ono! Of course, it's not like Uncle Ray Kane's mango tree. They get so many, they have to give them away!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000