Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ono grinds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  12:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Andy -
Yeah, I ordered from Jay's -- they're ok, but I had to get gallon size for the flavors I want. I'm trying to keep 3 quarts frozen for later in summer - don't see why it wouldn't work. Thanks for thinking of me,
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  4:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Andy, talking about Uncle Ray's tree, this is the sort of thing I think about when I pay $1.50 a mango .... all those drops sitting on the ground. $1.50 each is hard to swallow (sorry, bad one). What I wouldn't give for a Hayden tree, and the fruit flys zipping around!! Thanks for the tip .. I will buy cases from now on.

There are many ono recipes on the web. Mango bread, sweet pickled (using less ripe), sometimes I sweeten the rice with it wen making musubi (grosses most ppl out), sweet and sour mango sauce over rice, mango upside down cake, mango jam (ho, and so easy), li hing mango ... just plain mango!!!
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  10:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha everybody,
Thanks for all the awesome grinds ideas. Sibyl and I are flyin' out to Kaua`i tomorrow and I got my list in the hands so we no go hungry!

Ross
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  12:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Ross,

Be sure to go to Hamura Saimin in Lihue - best saimin in Hawaii. Get the saimin special. Also, try their halo halo (with ice cream , of course).

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  3:23:05 PM  Show Profile

If you are in for a little upscale grinds with all the appropriate (not overstated) tropical ambiance, try the Beach House at Poipu. It was very good when it was managed by Jon Marie Josselin, but I have heard that it is still very good. Get a seat by the window for the great sunset view. Last time I was there the cusine was Pan-Euro-Asian which, if done properly (and it was), is wonderful.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
This is a great thread. I'm sure there are a lot of folks here who enjoy eating local foods daily, and mainland living does present some basic problems. So, from the kitchen of Dav-o-weez here are some tips that are working for me.

I have wonderful asian markets here in NY, and they are wonderful sources for many of the required ingredients. Trader Joes comes in handy too, especially for dried fruit. However, I have struggled with two of the most important staples ... well actually three ... shoyu, rice and limu.

Aloha shoyu goes quickly, it's expensive to send by mail, and heavy in luggage. Soy sauce is pilau, at least any I've tasted. At a local store called Wild by Nature I've found two shoyu which are wonderful. They are both brewed traditionally on the mainland and have a smooth flavor. One brand is San-J, and the other Eden, and they compare favorably with imported Japanee kine. I still get Aloha when I can, and fill my Aloha pour bottle with the other stuff, but these shoyu are wonderful. This tip alone will crank up your slack key playing a notch.

Rice. I would certainly be happy to get Calrose rice here, but too bad for us. I always have good Japanee rice on hand, like Kokuho Rose, and it makes a wonderful sushi/musubi rice. For everyday I've been using Goya aroz mediano, which is available in any market, in quantity and cheap. It's not too bad, and slightly sticky, but I'm still looking.

In the fall I catch lots of striped bass. The flesh of this fish is firm and light, with a wonderful flavor. I have been been making lots of striped bass lemon poke and it's absolutely wonderful. It's not as rich as good ahi, but our local ahi is usually $7 to $10 a pound, often frozen or doubtfully fresh. I am friendly with my local fish market, and he's honest with me about providing sashimi grade fish. But feel free to experiment with fish which is local to you ... providing it has flavor, can be cut into chunks, and is not a fresh water variety.

I get my ogo in poke mix packets made by NOH Hawai'i. They frequently go on sale at Longs, and family or friends can send them, or you can load up when visiting. It contains a piece of dried ogo, which is reconstituted by soaking in water. Well, beggers can't be choosers, and fresh is certainly best, but I think the dried is just fine.

I am so grateful for the Ono Recipes site. As an example, the char siu 1 recipe there is as good as any bottled sauce I've ever tasted and so good.
http://alohaworld.com/ono/maingrinds.htm

Grind on!!
Go to Top of Page

tsunami
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  02:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Man, you guys are missing out! There's a place on S. King St. (Oahu) that blows away any where that I have eaten and at a price you won't believe. It's called Ray's Cafe, but don't expect to see Ray down there. The guy that cooks is Felix, and there isn't an item on the menu that you won't like. The protions are big and the food is good. Especially the Filet Mignon. For a little over eight bucks, you can't go wrong. And tell you the truth, its better than many other places that sell steak dinners for way more than that. Definitely a place to check out if you really like to grind!

da tsunami
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  12:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Talking about Hawaiian food just goes on and on. Our local paper in Seattle has a review of plate lunches in Kauai, "On Dining: I'm full -- of aloha -- after chowing down on Hawaiian plate lunches". It's making me hungry.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/153735_dining24.html

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mana Pua
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Eh...how's come nobody mentioned Ma's Place, right around the corner from Hamura's Saimin? No menu, you just tell them you want 8 vienna sausages, 6 eggs over easy, and 3 scoops rice. And, dat's what you got! Just like home.

Kepoo
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  1:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
"8 vienna sausages, 6 eggs over easy, and 3 scoops rice. And, dat's what you got! Just like home."

... topped with Tabasco sauce, shoyu, and furikake. And lots of Pordagee sweet bread slathered with real buttah. And ice cold papaya with a squeeze of lime. The perfect breakfast.

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  03:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Eight vienna sausages, six eggs....
I'm gettin' chest pains already!

Jesse Tinsley
Teri chicken plate lunch, haupia for dessert!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Andy -- time to think about expanding "ono grinds" to "by island" and "mainland" sections!

We drove down to Keoki's Paradise (Po`ipu) for dinner on Monday. Shared a pupu of panko-crusted scallops, swimming in a pool of wasabi cream; Bob had herb-infused fresh lobster tail; I had a chunk of fresh ono topped with a citrus and macnut glaze. Dessert? Mebbe next time <burp!>

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Keoki's Paradise is where I find some of my simplest pleasures. I usually go sit on the bar side (cheaper and quicker) where I indulge in baby back ribs, quesadillas and (Auntie, how can you miss the dessert?!?!) hula pie.

No local plate lunch... I feel like a tourist but mmmm, good.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  01:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
Oh, Auntie Maria, I so jealous. Totally `oma`oma`o, I steh. Scallops, wasabi, lobster, ono. `Auwe no ho`i e!!!!!!

Laki you live Kaua`i!

Hugs to you and Uncle Bob.

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm
Go to Top of Page

kimo
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  10:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Bar's fish taco truck sustained us in style four days in a row, at 'Anini Beach, North shore Kauai. He always asks if you would please find yourself a seat in his "lumi'aina." Keep an eye out for Bud if you're up for a game of cribbage. 'ono loa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000