Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Listened to "Wooden Boat" lately?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  06:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The first time I heard slack key the artist was Keola Beamer, so naturally I looked for more of his work. His latest release at that time was "Wooden Boat" and it was a great introduction for someone who was nearly completely ignorant of Hawaiian music. I've listened to the CD dozens (or maybe hundreds) of times, but over the last couple of years I've been exploring in new directions and haven't heard my old favorite much.

Last night I was enjoying a romp through different versions of "He Aloha No O Honolulu" - a great song that has inspired some wonderfully various interpretations. Check out the Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau and their "Legend of the Rain" for instance. But the show stopper turned out to be a cut from "Wooden Boat" in which Keola builds a multi-guitar meditation that leads through a little dance of harmonics into a version of "He Aloha No O Honolulu" played all in chimes. Even my non-guitar playing buddy was caught up in the ethereal beauty of the tiny bells ringing out the melody.

Caught by this masterwork, I found myself exploring the CD a little more, rediscovering old favorites. "Kalena Kai," "No Ke Ano Ahiahi," "Po Mahina," "Hula O Makee." I remember now how much impact these wonderful performances had on me, how I looked for these songs whenever I shopped for CDs. Now I'm sitting here this morning letting "Hula Lady" wash over me and marveling at the artistry, and I had to take a moment to share.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  07:51:26 AM  Show Profile
"...Last night I was enjoying a romp through different versions of "He Aloha No O Honolulu"..."

My favorite is the Kahauanu Lake Trio version, but all the ones you mentioned are great.

:)
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  1:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I also think Keola is a great arranger and his originals are solid compositions too. Minoaka, Papa's Okolehau, or NoKaPo are just a few tunes that come to mind that I consider proof enough that he is a great songwriter. Strangely enough, when I saw him in MN, he left the impression that he still had something to live up to.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  4:18:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

[quote]Originally posted by Haole_Boy
I once got a chance to thank him for his beautiful music. I told him that because I grew up listening to him and Hui `Ohana, I love Hawaiian music today. He deflected the compliment in typical fashion, saying "oh yeah, Hui `Ohana is great."

I agree, Hui `Ohana is great. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000