Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Music, Dreams and Creativity...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Or, "A Little Night Music and Dreaming in Spanish (guitar)...

This idea keeps coming back, usually in the middle of the night...
"Do not go back to sleep...the morning breezes have secrets to tell you"...
Rumi
(and also relayed from Dr. Wayne Dyer PBS replay #500...incidentally, in the middle of the night)...

When my wife was living in Spain (during Franco!), she said she knew her Spanish had arrived when she started to DREAM in Spanish!

Now I'm lucky if I dream in English...but sometimes I wake up with music singing up there...

For guitar and playing... Led said once he learned to play Slack key from dreaming...
Of course, I take that came after some immersion time playing under a coconut tree with a guitar perhaps...and for sure, years of being surrounded by Hawaiian music and all... but I think I get the gist.

Of course, sometimes when you work the next day, I really have to go back to sleep...
But when I'm lucky enough to wake up with something in my head...and the idea is melodic or chordal...I sketch it out...quickly, and of course, Illegibly...(maybe I should get a recorder!)

But when I don't have to be "up with the chickens"...I grab the guitar until the rooster crows.

Any other night owls out there?
Or Dreamers.

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

When my wife was living in Spain (during Franco!), she said she knew her Spanish had arrived when she started to DREAM in Spanish!

Many years ago, I spent 15 months in Finland and studied the language. I remember feeling the same when I began to dream in Finnish.

And yes, I often wake up with slack key playing in my head these days. Not sure if I have arrived, but clearly I'm obsessed. Sometimes it is one of my tunes my brain is working on; other times something else loved and familiar. I know it makes me happy.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

Edited by - JeffC on 05/21/2008 1:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000