Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 DVD - Romantic Waikiki Hula by Kanoe Miller
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Here’s a new DVD you might not be aware of, but is definitely worth having and watching time and again . . . .

“Kanoe Miller, Romantic Waikiki Hula” (with the Hiram Olsen Trio and guest Gary Aiko.)

By far the best part of this DVD is the superb hula Kanoe performs in the style of her kumu, Maiki Aiu Lake. (I have to admit a real love for this refined and dignified style.) And .. the fact that she is such a beautiful woman doesn’t hurt. There are 10 mostly Hapa-Haole numbers, among them Soft Green Seas, Kaimana Hila, Waikiki, Sweet Leilani and I’ll Remember You. Solid musical performances provide the setting for these gems. The filming was done mostly in gorgeous settings in and near Waikiki. The overall effect is a wonderful fantasy of a Romantic Waikiki. Additional and high quality features of this DVD are the introductions and commentary to each dance by Kanoe. Unless you’re connected with a halau, you don’t often hear dancers giving background to their performances. The DVD is well produced and it has many of the features and choices we’ve come to expect from quality DVD’s.

So, it isn’t slack key, but if you miss this one it really is your loss.

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  8:07:54 PM  Show Profile
We were just in O`ahu, and last week we saw Kanoe perform at the Halekulani's "House Without A Key". It is just one of the most beautiful experiences ever. We got a copy of Kanoe's DVD, and I totally agree with everything Raymond says about it. It would make a wonderful present for anyone interested in hula. Kanoe sat and talked with us for a few minutes during one of her breaks during her show. She is as warm and genuine as she is beautiful. She is a total sweetheart. Meeting her and having the chance to see and talk to her was one of the highlights during the 10 days we were on O`ahu. Buy this DVD. You will love it!! www.kanoemiller.com

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000