Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Some recent favorites
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steam-powered
Aloha

15 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  07:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I did a search of the archives and was surprised that a few of my favorites were not mentioned already (perhaps I didn't search thoroughly enough).

I recently bought the "The Kalama's Quartet" release on Arhoolie and it instantly earned a place as one of my "desert island" discs. "The Tao Moe Family with Bob Brozman" is another contemporary recording that has become a favorite.

Granted, I only have a couple dozen albums of Hawaiian music and my ears are not as refined as most others here on Taropatch.net, but a recent release, "Led Kaapana & Bob Brozman: In the Saddle", is to my ears a wonderful example of contemporary slack key. These two fellows have such a natural sympathy with one another and it shows in their playing.

Any recommended albums for a fellow like me who is relatively new to slack key guitar and Hawaiian music? I generally prefer "pre-war" recordings but I know that there are plenty of contemporary artists making great albums. I bought the Ozzie Kotani book/cd and am progressig slowly but surely in learning slack key. The only thing I need is some more albums for inspiration. Thanks!

Amor et Hilaritas

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
There are many vintage (1950s and earlier) recordings of island music, now available on CD. Not much slack key, unfortunately -- but here are some titles to get you started:

ON A COCONUT ISLAND by Various Artists
(Dick McIntire, Felix Mendelssohn, etc.)

HAWAIIANS IN PARIS 1916-1926
Various Artists
(Madame Louise, Frank Ferera, etc.)

RHYTHM OF THE ISLANDS 1913-1952
Various Artists
(Andy Iona, Tau Moe, etc.)

TICKLING THE STRINGS 1929-1952
Various Artists
(Sol Ho`opi`i, Andy Iona, etc.)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  12:57:49 PM  Show Profile
If you like the "pre-war" sound, ther is no better place than this site.

http://www.cumquatrecords.com.au/index.html

Bruce Clarke, has done a simply astounding job of collecting and re mastering music from that era. They are a bit pricey, but they do a wonderful job shipping from Australia to the US.

Look for singers such a Lena Machado and George Kainapau and Ray Kinney on the records in the Dick McIntire collection. Andy Iona, Al Kealoha Perry, Lani McIntire are all super as well. You will not find much slack key here. This is the era where Hawaiian Steel Guitar ruled the roost and some of it's best examples can be found at Cumquat.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

steam-powered
Aloha

15 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendations!

Amor et Hilaritas
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:51:03 AM  Show Profile
This Andy Cummings recording is one of my favorites. I am not certain how old it really is, but oh, the music on it is so very good. Waikiki is just amazingly beautiful. And Kaua`i Beauty, etc., etc., etc. And I love "Get Hep to Swing". Pretty swell band when you have Gabby Pahinui picking guitar for you.

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/andy+cummings+%26+his+hawaiian+serenaders/the+wandering+troubadors/

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  05:58:59 AM  Show Profile
The "vintage treasures" CDs released by Michael Cord, are definitely treasures! Most of them were taken from vintage 49th State Records, covering both the pre-WWII and immediate post-WWII era.

On this page:
http://www.cordinternational.com/collections.htm
look at
"Pau Hana Party"
"Hawaiian Lu`au Party"
"Lovely Hula Hands"
"Lei of Stars"
"Legends of Falsetto"
"Hula Hawaiian Style"
"Legends of Waikiki"
"Aloha Hula Hawaiian Style"
"Night Club Hula Hawaiian Style"
"Mele Hula Hawaiian Style"
"Hapa Haole Hawaiian Hula Classics"

And yes, yes, yes to Cumquat Records -- somewhat pricey, but great to have in CD format.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

steam-powered
Aloha

15 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  07:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Those Cord discs are certainly more in my price range. Lots of tunes on each disc. I'll be spending some time listening to the sound clips and get a handful of those cds!

I also ordered "Ki Ho'Alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" on dvd and will look into the Any Cummings disc. I've read a number of good reviews here on the forum on the dvd so figured I might as well get a copy. If anybody has any favorite albums, keep the recommendations coming, please! I spend most of my disposable income on albums and cds and am always looking for things I've never heard before. Thanks.

Amor et Hilaritas
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if you prefer traditional Hawaiian or hapa haole music, but if you're a hapa haole fan, also try the first Hawaiian-"ish" CD I ever bought, "Hukilau Hulas." At that time, I thought hapa haole music was traditional Hawaiian music. Now I know it's not.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000