Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Recording technique
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  11:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I was really blown away by Andy's "Double Slack Swing" as a composition, as a performance, and as a recording. I've used a Sharp MD-SR60 and Sound Professionals T-Mic lots of times and I never got a sound like that.

Andy, where did you place the mic? Can you give us any hints on how you got such a terrific sound?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  01:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Fran,

You've been so generous with the compliments so you're welcome in my house anytime. Funny to be asked about recording technique because I haven't got a clue. Haven't even read up on the subject since I figured I didn't have a $150-$200+ mic anyway.

Also, I thought your Waialua Slack Key had more treble and sounded better than my MD recordings. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side? I felt my recordings sounded a little muffled, the bass, a little muddy. I was wondering myself because I know you recorded yours with the same Sharp MD and same model mic. I bought mine on your advice, of course.

Another thing is that listening to my song through headphones via soundclick sounds better to me than the original CD I sent to Raymond. Hey cpatch, did you add a little reverb or maybe media player just hides the unbalanced dynamics of my alternating bass better?

Okay, about the recording. Took place in the basement, 2nd bedroom of our apartment. I clipped my T-mic to a music stand, sat in a chair and tried sitting so that the mic was pretty close to the soundhole but far enough so I wouldn't bump into the mic. I don't know, maybe 2 feet? Played the song 3-4 times and that was it. Two days before, I played the song many, many times and then had to stop because I was too tired, frustrated by mistakes and my fingers couldn't do it anymore.

Played the MD into the input jack of my laptop and recorded it with CoolEdit. I couldn't figure out what effects to add so I gave up on that. I clipped dead space off the beginning and then had to fade out the end because my wife flushed the toilet upstairs and you could hear the water running in the pipes.
quote:
Can you give us any hints on how you got such a terrific sound?
I'm not really sure. Dumb luck? Probably.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  01:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Hey cpatch, did you add a little reverb?
I might have...I don't remember. I played with a few of the songs, anything from running through an exciter (to brighten up the sound) to creating a stereo image and/or adding reverb. I don't recall if I did anything to yours or not.

[I just listened to your version on the CD and the version I put up on SoundClick and I'm pretty sure I ran you through the exciter, the stereo imager, AND the reverb. If you don't like it let me know and I'll post the original.]

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/07/2003 03:06:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  02:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Andy, I love your "true confessions of recording"

had to fade out the end because my wife flushed the toilet upstairs and you could hear the water running in the pipes.

That's hilarious!
The icemaker in my fridge dumped a load of ice right at the end of my "perfect" take; trashed that one.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

... and I'm pretty sure I ran you through the exciter, the stereo imager, AND the reverb.

OK, Craig, what software did you use for these effects?

Thanks,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile
For cpatch:

Hey Craig,

If you're coming to the next So Cal Slack meeting (sometime this month), how about discussing your recording and mastering setup. I'd like to know how you did this stuff, from the recording to the effects and so on.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Fran, I used Amadeus II on the Mac with some free VST plugins available on the Web.

Terry, I'd be glad to.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000