Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 It's getting humid...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  4:18:22 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - John on 06/27/2003 4:44:40 PM

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  5:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Good topic.

John, rattles in the soundboard are actually caused by bombardment of terciary Gorzon rays, influenced to a degree by spatial MIS-alignment of the minor planets, usually on or before the 2nd Tuesday of the months when the Sun is in opposition to the celestial nodes.

The main humidity related problems are caused by excessive dryness. As important, is the speed at which the humidity changes take place. If your guitar sits in your house thru the year, it is slowly acclimated to the varying humidity, and will usually not cause serious problems. The main KILLER can be the winter when people tend to hyper-dry the interior air by using furnaces, heaters etc.

That said, everyone knows that a 'dry' guitar sounds far better and brighter than a 'wet' one. Wet is what you tend to get in the summer when the humidity is higher, and say, it rains for a couple of days. The guitar will sound a bit muddy sometimes. Kinda dead. Of course you tend to get the opposite in the winter, the tone sounds better, but you can develop rattles as the wood shrinks to a degree and 'loosens up'.

The point of this is that if you have a reasonably well made instrument, (insturment for Craig) you may get these rattles this time of the year. 40% humidity actually sounds pretty ideal. I would look for the sounds to fade away as the spring comes on. Its usually the amount of heat in the house that is the real culprit.

You can always try some of the commercial humidifiers, about the size of the soundhole, that you just leave in the case, or put in the soundhole itself. They can work well, but work best if you have your guitar in the case. (read leave in the case)

Heard a very native Hawaiian last summer recommend taking a bite out of an apple, and putting the apple in your guitar case. Does the same thing. But Hawaiians probably dont really understand the problems associated with a lack of humidity.

Not to get off the subject, but I read your descriptions of the best places in Maui for various things. I read this at 1000 am local, as I was starving, having neglected breakfast to rush to the Korporate world. That was just cruel. I may not recover. When I bust outta here at 1800...I'm heading for Yokohama Rice Bowl for a #4, Chicken teri over 2 scoops. Ya baby!!!

I am

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  5:08:14 PM  Show Profile
John,

I've heard of microclimates. Your house must be in a Desert Vally microclimate. You know we're sorta neighbors, and I've never needed to humidify my guitars. My ebony fretboards haven't shrunk. One time, I think the action got too high on one guitar because of excess humidity. And I do keep hygrometers around.

Of course, I also keep my house on the cool side which keeps the RH higher.

You're right about the icky weather. Today there was even a little hail or snow mixed into the rain. Seattle Rain Festival is held each year, September thru June. In July and August we get together to talk about our trips to sunny places.

I've read that humidifying the room is better than humidifying the case, so you must be on the right track. Good luck.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  6:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I've never taken humidity into consideration...do those of us in Southern California even need to be concerned about it? (Because I need something else to worry about..."Yeah, I was thinking about duct taping all my windows but I'm worried about how it's going to affect the humidity for my guitars.")

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  6:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
40% does sound pretty ideal. From what I'm told anywhere from 40% - 60% is the target. On the east coast, we've had the coldest winter in years so our heat is on and the rh really tough to keep above 40%. I run a little humidifier in the bed room and one in the living room almost 24 hours a day. Have to fill each one up every night (with regular tap water) before going to bed. The minerals in the H2O cause build up in the humidifiers which should be cleaned once a week (soak some vinegar in there and scrub with an old tooth brush).

I have a D'Addario Planet Waves in my guitar case which is one of those guitar humidifiers that goes in the sound hole. For that, I used distilled water. The gadget comes with this little syringe thingy so I squirt about 15 ml of water in every few weeks.

I've also tried taking an old film canister, poking a bunch of holes in the lid, putting a sponge in it as a home made in-case humidifier. Seems to work fine too if you want to DIY. If you want to get really fancy, you add a paper clip and bend it so you can hang your gizmo off a sting so that it hangs inside the guitar. All depends whether you want to be MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson). Sorry, I watch way too much TV.

I'm definitely a believer. Don't want any cracks. It can happen. My worry is my `ukulele's which do not get cared for the same. Any of you guys humidifying your `ukuleles? That's where my homemade gizmo is right now.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile
cpatch,

The Santa Cruz, CA luthiers on another board think they live in humidity heaven and don't worry much about it. I don't know if that helps.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Breedlove...what a great name. Should be part of everyone's job description.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  6:44:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey Pauline,

Ya, they're right. I live in Santa Cruz, and don't really have any problems.

Solution: John, you need to move to Santa Cruz.

His Holiness,
The

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  8:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If you're pronouncing it like a local, it's San-tuh Crooz (Sanna Crooz is also acceptable). If you're pronouncing it as originally intended, it's closer to SAHN-tuh Croos.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile
My uncle used to use a humidifier for his cigars. Said it made them taste better. Smelled like old skunk to us.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:45:08 PM  Show Profile
John,

I pay my therapist damn good money to swear that I'm sane.

And the proper way to say it is sannaKrooz

Chicken teri is good good good......I'm eating right now, at home at last. More for me.

I continue to be...

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  10:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Dearest cmdrpiffle,
I am a psychologist. I will charge you $10.00 for certification than you are paying now, and you gets to support ki ho'alu in the process.
RJS
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  01:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ah, Raymond's a psychologist. That explains a lot.

(I have an M.A. in Applied Psychology so I'm allowed to tease him :-)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  02:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Want to understand more?
I also have degrees in Classical Greek (AB), Hermeneutics (MA), a Masters in Divinity (that's why I know I'm always right) and two more just for fun. And I played the accordian as a kid. That's also why my wife and I don't have the money to go to Keola's Summer Camp.
R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000