Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lyrics to My Darling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Been looking all around for the lyrics to My Darling. It was recorded by Tony C. and Robert C. on Tony's I Ka Wa I Hala CD. I know some of the lyrics go

My darling, say you're mine tonight,
My darling you're divine tonight,
Your kisses.......that's where I get lost.

Lyrics would be priority but also looking for the writers and who else may have recorded it...Mahaloz!

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 808robertr

Been looking all around for the lyrics to My Darling. It was recorded by Tony C. and Robert C. on Tony's I Ka Wa I Hala CD. I know some of the lyrics go

Lyrics would be priority but also looking for the writers and who else may have recorded it...Mahaloz!

Google is a wonderful thing....

http://www.lyricstime.com/don-bestor-my-darling-lyrics.html

And so is mele.com

http://www.mele.com/search.html?searchADV=my+darling&submitAdvanced.x=29&submitAdvanced.y=12&searchAction=tracks&searchPages=10&referer=974050435cbf42ac10d8a5b01f09b0af

Edited by - bbenzel on 05/28/2008 1:43:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  03:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 808robertr

It can be somewhat incongruous when Hawaiian music artists perform standards from the American songbook of yesteryear. The song sounds uniquely Hawaiian - as if you've heard it sung by Hawaiians many times before - because of their unique ability to make the song their own.

"My Darling" was written in 1932 by the great Broadway and movie/musical composer Edward Heyman. (He is the same composer responsible for classics like "Body and Soul" and "For Sentimental Reasons.") It's the kind of song performed and recorded often by Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughan, and Frank Sinatra.

I have the "O Ka Wa I Hala" CD and I thought that Tony credited Heyman accordingly in the liner notes. It's not his style not to credit the composer.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  06:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Mahalo for your help and insight. Sad to say, but I recently heard this song sung at a funeral and it was very touching. Nothing like simple lyrics like these. It jogs the memory of such American hits associated with Hawaiian artists, like Drinking Champange, Sweet Someone, Gone With the Wind, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000