Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Our visit to O`ahu, land of aloha and bolo heads
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  3:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Ah friends, we are back home in Cleveland, but what a great two weeks we had. Never have I been so sad to leave friends as this time leaving the Barino and Domingo `ohanas in Hawai`i while we came home to gray and cold Cleveland.

After some phone tag, we finally met up with Duke and Jay on our first Sunday in Honolulu. We met at the Waikiki Marriott during Martin Pahinui dem show "Kiho1alu Sundays". After good hugs and talk story with Bobby Ingano and Martin Pahinui, Duke and Jay showed up at the break between sets. We enjoyed the great music of Martin Pahinui, George Kuo, Aaron Mahi and Bobby Ingano. Then two bolo head guys showed up and plenty hugs, kisses and alohas went 'round. Turns out Jay knows Bobby Ingano because they both worked at Tamashiro Market. Even Jay met Mrs. Jay while both were working at Tamashiro Market. Jay gave his alohas to Bobby and we introduced all to Braddah Martin. After the show, we adjourned to the beach just across Kalakaua Ave., where Duke and Jay presented Paul with a guitar to use for the week. Paul introduced Duke and Jay to a mountain dulcimer. They played music til maybe 1:30 or 2 in the morning until I was about asleep on my feet (or okole as it were). Great tunes all around, Duke can play swell slack key, Jay plays swell `ukulele. Then guess what, also Jay plays swell slack key and Duke plays great `ukulele.

At the hotel (Resort Quest Waikiki Beach), we were treated to great music at breakfast by Cory Oliveros on some days and by Erie from Na Kama on other days. Both gentlemen make wonderful music and share their stages with wonderful hula dancers. You should hear Cory sing "I Kona". When you hear his jazzy sounds, you would never expect to hear such great falsetto from him. He is the spitting image of Ledward when he does this song, down to the sound of the guitar, the phrasing of the song. Wow! I am very glad to hear both of them regale the breakfasting tourists with plenty of traditional Hawaiian music. Of course, they do mix in some of the anticipated songs for the tourists: Blue Hawai`i, Hawaiian Wedding Song; Hukilau. Now one of the tourist standards is the medly of Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful Wrold made so popular by Iz. Musta worked because many tourists know it and request it. No mattah - sounds good.

We spent Monday evening at Chai's and invited Duke and Jay to join us for pupus and drinks. But first, I had to have my pictures taken with Jerome and John Koko while Moon was setting up the sound or whatever all those cords are for. Then John wanted to know where was Paul, so I took him back to our table. We were standing there showing each other our heart surgery scars right in the middle of Chai's! Good thing Mr. Chai never threw us out! When the Makaha Sons started playing, one song they did and dedicated to me (what a surprise and honor!) was Wahine `Ilikea. That John is such a sweetie. I had to hug him at least one more time. But that was only after spending one day in Hawai`i. Now he might not call me Wahine `Ilikea, since two weeks in the sun have toasted me nice and brown and healthy looking. Jay finally got there and do you know what the buggah did? He went and bought me one beautiful pua kenikeni lei. First of all, I never had a lei that I didn't buy myself, and second of all, I never had such a sweetie to put it around my neck. Oh, what a lovely fragrance, and how beautiful and delicate the flowers. That is something I shall always treasure. I kept it all two weeks in the fridge at the hotel, and now it has dried, but I packed it carefully and brought it home, where it is on proud display.

That even, Paul was hurting and hurting from his arthritis. Next day I went all over trying to find him some kava to see if it could help his aching. I finally found some at a drug store. Had Paul drink some and he did not find it the tastiest of beverages. He choked it down while mixed with pineapple juice. Then I found him some noni capsules and he took that, too. Next day he felt better. Not sure if it was the kava or the noni, but something helped with his terrible pain.

We took a tour by Roberts of food and farms. We were picked up early one morning on a small tour bus with about about 10 folks, mostly from Texas, who had no hearing. They did have a couple of folks who could hear and who did the signing for the others. This tour took us to Leonards Bakery in Aiea for some nice hot malasadas. History of the confection tells us that they were made from left over scraps from bread making of the nice Portuguese sweet bread. The bad pieces were used by just throwing them in the hot oil and scooping them out as soon as they floated back up. That is where the word malasadas comes from - mal meaning mad or incorrect. Nothing bad about them things except maybe calories and fat content. but yum! We then went to a place in Aiea where watercress is grown. We discoverd that watercress is grown in flooded patches just as is wet taro and is rice. The terracing of the patches and the rich green of the watercress made for beautiful pictures. After that we headed toward Wahiawa toward Helemano Plantations. It is right next to Dole. It is really an educational facility for challenged folks to learn and earn. Job skills are taught to those who may have a difficult time finding remployment without great job coaching offered by this fine institution. We were educated on how to choose a good pineapple, how to cut it efficiently and how to easily get rid of the eyes that remain after peeling. We were given plenty of the jucient, best pineapple ever to taste. We were also treated to pineapple sprinkled with li hing mui. What a taste sensation that was. We were told that if the pineapple is less than perfectly sweet, the li hing mui makes it taste sweeter. It sure was good. Our purchases at their gift shop help fund the social service programs run by the organization. A very fine outfit they are and they do many great works. Next time you think of going Dole, forget it and go right next door toward the north side and visit Helemano Plantation.

The tour then took us through Haleiwa, past a horse farm over to Kahuku. We went to Kahuku Farms where we learned about farming papaya, mango, taro, banana, ginger and other swell stuff. We were then treated to a lunch prepared using the bounties of the farm. We had some of their fresh eggplant; teriyaki style beef short ribs; rice, salad dressed with guava/lilikoi dressing grown and made on the farm. Haupia was our dessert. A delightful reast after learning all about planting papaya and ensuring three trees are planted together to make sure one is female, one is male and one is a hermaphrodite. We were told that the femal papaya makes too big fruit for what most commercial markets want. The hermaphrodite produces the right sized fruit for commercial markets. Later we went to a mac nut farm down toward Kaneohe. The trip there was lovely. The Koolau are so velvety green. The VOG had cleared out and the sea was so many beautiful shades of blue over on the windward side. What a lovely land.

More to come.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/01/2008 3:58:17 PM

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  8:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
What dey moved Leonard's from Kapahulu to Aeia????

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile
The first Thursday was my 56th b'day. Elemakule. That night we had to decide: Jerry Santos at Chai's; Howard Ai at Pakele Lounge; `Ohana Keawe at Marriott. Chai's it was. Had da giant tiger prawns one more time. Good grub. More better, I got to meet that sweet darling Barry Kimokeo who was playing with Jerry along with Hoku Zuttermeister on bass. Ho, da music was so good. Barry is such a nice young man. I told my youngest daughter, have I got a nice Hawaiian boy for you! For some reason, Marianne not interested and said, "Mother!!!". What? Can't a mother be matchmaker? Anyhow, Barry can make that guitar sound like any kine. And between Barry and Hoku, oh the falsetto was so nice. Then there was a song which I really do not know the name, but Jerry would sing about singing an old Hawaiian song and then each of the guys would try to stump the others or something with bits and pieces of various traditional Hawaiian songs. They kept this going for quite some time. Afterwards Jerry said they had times where they would go 2 hours or so, even could go all night long. That was great fun for the audience. Hoku, now that fella can hold some long notes when singing falsetto, kinda like Auntie Genoe with `Alika. We had great talk story after the show with Jerry and with Barry. Until Chai's wanted to close up and Barry dem wanted to go home. They are so nice to sit and talk with us and take all the pictures. Did I mention how nice Barry is? Cannot wait until his CD comes out. He said they are putting some finishing touches on it.

Friday was music on the oddah side of the island day. We got rental car and went over to Kailua where Paul had a music lesson with Harry Koizumi and I hung out downstairs in Coconut Grove Music Store with very nice Frank and then our TP `ohana guy, Doug Fitch ran from his home to the music store. Wow. Dough one fit and lean guy. I'm glad my cardiac rehab doesn't make me do all that what Doug does. Paul can elaborate on what Harry taught him, but the half hour lesson extended considerably longer than that. Harry was a very nice gentleman and a good kumu for Paul. We then went to Doug's house for quick bottle of water and Doug take one shower. We went to lunch at an Italian place, but was way more better than Cleveland Murray Hill Little Italy food -- was Hawaiian style Italian. Grat grub -- had pasta with lobster and prosciutto. Paul had fish (not raw this time, but almost). Then back to Doug's house for Paul and Doug kanikapila. Doug makes such nice music and is a very congenial host. He lives right by the `ohana from Auntie who wrote one of my favorite songs and one of the few hula I know, "Puamana". How cool is that? He also showed us the beautiful beach at Kailua - oh so lovely. We then just drove around all over that side of the island, maybe got lost a couple of times but saw some beautiful sights. Thanks, Doug, for your kind hospitality. It was nice to pet your kitty, too, since I missed my `Oni-`Oni.

Saturday we drove up to Hale`iwa for lunch at Hale`iwa Joe's and to meet a couple of our friends who live Wailua. We had a great long lunch, talking and laughing and talking some more. Ho, da fun! Paul and I had this great lunch with my friend Kathleen and her husband, Bla. They have two kitties, and one named E Nei looks just like my little `Oni`Oni, excepet without the extra toes. Bla is working on a new recording and the mix of selections on there is going to be a great surprise to you guys when it is released. He is just starting on it, so timeframe is unsure right now. Also they are not yet sure whether it will only be released electronically for download or whether traditional CDs will be issued. But you wait, it is going to be great! He also was excited about the August Gabby Festival in Waimanalo. Bla and his band will be playing 4 selections at the fest, but he is also so excited by the prospect of getting so many other folks together to share their music. He said that Martin's son, Gabby, is quite the musician. Got some nice pics of Paul and Bla, the two rowdy boys.

Sunday was magical picnic day at Kaka`ako. Jay gave us instructions how to get there and said we should call him on the cell phone when we got to the driveway to the park. We just went in and parked and then called him. How excited I was to meet the who Jayson barino `ohana and the Duke Domingo `ohana. Oh, so many hugs and alohas! I got to hug those sweet grandbabies and to give hugs and kisses to Jay's teenagers. Even though they are teenagers, oh what nice, polite and sweet kids they are. I shoulda had Jay raise my girls when they were teenagers. Paul and Duke and Jay played music all afternoon and what great music they made. And the food, ho boy, I never saw so much food. Any kine. Every kine. Duke and his daughters made these great mushrooms wrapped in bacon. Wow! And ham, and sausage and pork and everything you could think of. Hmmm. Also some kind of beverage Jay was drinking that he tried to pass off as creme soda. Funny, I never knew they put hops in creme soda. Duke's grandsons were so smart! Chago may grow up to be a photographer. I cannot wait to see the developed films. J.J. made sure to show us his muscles in all kinds of body builder poses. J.J. also wanted to know what all those spots on my nose are. No, not zits. Freckles. I tried to explain to him that sometimes haole old ladies get polka dots on their skin called freckles. He also made me eat some raw carrots to make my eyes strong so I no mo need reading glasses. I had great time talking story with Jay's sweet wife, Rizalina and Duke's mom. Both are two very kind and gracious ladies. Duke has three beautiful daughters who are funny and talented, as well. You should see the `ukulele one of his daughters made. And hear it, too, because it sounds beautiful. All the songs-in-laws are all so nice and kind to us as well. Oh what a group we had! Then Paul and I left early to go see Martin Pahinui dem one more time. More good talk story over there, especially with Aaron Mahi sharing his manao with Paul and I about "Kou Ma`i Ho`eu`eu". Turns out the vamps you guys helped Paul figure out for it are the correct ones, so thanks for that help.

And thus ended the first exciting and busy week.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/02/2008 08:57:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  08:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
This is so enjoyable to read, Wanda. Thank you. Although I don't know any of the people (I did recognize a few "names"), I feel I *do* know them a bit now. Keep writing more when you have time so we can hear about the rest of the trip. We've never explored Oahu at all--we head straight to the Big Island from the Mainland; your account gives me some ideas when we're on Oahu for three days this November.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile
On Memorial Day Holiday, we did not do much. There was a big thing at Ala Moana Paka for lanterns. Ho, lots of traffic and they even had plenty police there closing off part of the road and blocking the entrances to the park because so many people. We took the bus down that way and ended up going to Ward Warehouse shopping. We went to Na Mea Hawai`i/Native Hawaiian Books, which is a fantastic store. Did not have to worry about tschotchkes made in Phillipines or China. It was all made in Hawai`i. They had beautiful ipu and ipu heke for hula, pu`ili, pa`u, holoku, even all kinds nice smooth stones for you to choose for `ili`ili. Ther were also plenty ipu decorated all nice just for display. Some were carved in relief around the top, so delicately and so beautifully decorated, but you need plenty kala to get those. I bought one kava bowl, bought a couple of bamboo nose flutes for the twin nephews, bought scrapbook paper and stickers and several books, one of which I forgot in the seatback pouch on the plane. Bummerz. The clothing was all made in Hawai`i and had the finest workmanship. Pa`u were going for $49 for child size and $89 and up for adult sizes. I will just sew my own, I think. The holuku and mu`umu`u were even more expensive. Some of the holoku were over $200, but oh so beautiful. I really did not look much at the mens clothing since they had only sizes for the little dudes, not a kane nui like my hun-bun. Oh, and I bought the Kawena Pukui book about the wise sayings-- No`eau. I now have a great selection of verses and saying to put on my hand made greeting cards. Paul found a store that sold all kinds of beer and he bought a couple of Maui brews. He can tell you about them. One had pretty lots of hops but it was not real bitter like lots of the "hoppy" beers taste to me. We sat in the food court relaxing with iced tea and who should we see, but one of Duke's sons-in-law who was a security guard there. He recognized us first, and I hardly did not know him because of the uniform and bike helmet, but then I saw the Cheyenne tatoo. At first, I thought just some cute Hawaiian guy was trying for get chance with me. Yeah, right! We had a lovely bus ride back to Waikiki. Note to remember for tourists: when we got on the bus heading toward Ward Centers, bus driver gave us tickets for return trip no charge. Only have to pay one way.

The restaurant at the hotel, Tiki's has great food. My favorite was the macadamia crusted mahimahi and the guava cheesecake. Paul tried all kind of stuff. First day he had the Aloha Friday plate - laulau, poke, lomilomi salmon, poi, sweet potatoes and haupia. We had to have the ubiquitous umbrella drinks, but Paul had beer. I had a maitai one day and a lava flow another day. The restaurant has live music every evening, usually two different artists at two different times, one early for dinner and one later for drinks and pupu. Artists such as Weldon Kekauoha, Cory Oliveros, Johnny Helm played at Tiki's. Now tell me why, you sound experts out there, why on the same level as the lounge, just in a different corner of the level, we could barely hear the music, but from our lanai 11 stories up, we could hear the music perfectly well. They had a "booth" kinda thing for the musical artists, it had sides and a roof, probably to keep the rain off the electronics, should it decide to rain.

I had hula lessons two different mornings at breakfast. One day with Cory Oliveros playing the music, we were taught Hukilau. Another morning with Eric Lee, we learned Ulupalakua. Lots of tourists were too hesitant about taking the lessons. Not me. If they wanted to laught at this fumbling, stumbling old fool, I do not care. I'd probably never see any of them ever again, anyhow, except for the musicians and dancers, since they have been there ever since we started visiting O`ahu.

I think under Slack Key music in Duke's thread about the wedding at Kaka`ako, I told about meeting the tutu lady. That was a definite magical moment. We were too dense to know that we were supposed to be on that side of the street to meet the tutu lady. The tita across the street had to kick us outta there to force us back across the street just so we would be there to meet the tutu lady and to share music and song and aloha with her. We even saw her the next day and she hugged and kissed us. She will be one of my lifetime memories and one of my feel good moments whenever I need to remember good, kind thoughts to cheer me up.

We took another tour that was a nature tour. It took us up to the Pali lookout, then on Diamond Head Rd. toward Hawai`i Kai and whatever that neighborhood with the kajillion dollar houses. I think Kahala??? Our tour leader told us about a Japanese man who bought bunches of expensive houses over there and left them empty. The rich neighbors were complaining, according to the tour guy, so the Japanese guy gave the houses rent free to needy families. We saw one which had a sign out front thanking the kind gentleman for permitting them to live in his house. Jay tells me the story was not quite the way the tour guy told us, Perhaps Jay can put the facts straight for us. This tour driver was haole who had been living in Hawai`i since the 60's. However, I could make a discernable difference in the ways he told about the beauty and history of the islands. He did not know the story about alae birds and Maui squeezing alae until she gave up the secret to fire making. Matter of fact, he said he had heard the song of Maui Hawaiian Suppa Man but really never listened to the words. Crikey - they are in English. I suggested if he listen to that song, he might learn more history that he could share with his customers. I asked him about the story of naupaka flowers, where there is actually "half" a flower to put together with the naupaka that grows in the uplands. I do not think he knew that story, either. We went to Makapu`u and he showed us some bunkers from WW II. We got nice pics of Rabbit Island. We went to Waimanalo Park and a couple of other stops along that side of the island. We then went to Ulu'po Hei`au, which was dedicated to Lono. It was a most peaceful and serene place, sharing the driveway with a Baptist church. There were a few offerings placed on the he`iau and one guy way over far away from us was smoking pakalolo, because I could smell it when the wind blew the right (or wrong) direction. The birds there were not afraid of me. There was a pair of doves who could have cared less about Paul and I, they just went on about their business, practically walking right over top my feet. As I said, the serenity was so nice. We also went to a wetland area with small ponds which was in the middle of a housing development. We saw several kinds of birds there, alae, ducks, egrets ane plenty that I cannot remember names of until I look up my notes. After that, the tour took us on the old pali road back toward the other side of the island toward Waikiki.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile
One morning Paul was playaing guitar on the beach while I was shopping. When I got back, he had one nice gentleman, Mike, sitting there playing guitar with him. Mike just happened by and joined Paul for an impromptu kani. He is one local guy who just wanted to stop and play some nice music. I think one they did was "Ku`u Home o Kahalu`u".

Thursday, I left Paul alone to go more shopping and when I got back, he had found a nice 16 year old local guy named Kimo, goes St. Louis school. Kimo had a nice `ukulele and he and Paul were jamming on "Henehene Kou Aka" when I got back. Kimo stayed with us all day, even for garlic chicken and beverages and going across the street to the park when the hotel dem kicked us out saying that no music playing was allowed over there by the hotel tables. Kimo said he is the only guy in his class who likes old kine Hawaiian music. He knows young kid kine stuff, too, but he really likes the old stuff. And he helped Paul with the `olelo. He told us that Hawaiian language is an elective at their school. Turns out young Kimo's uncle or great uncle or something was Sonny Chillingworth. But best of all, we met Kimo up with Duke and Jay so he will have someone for kanikapila with. Just think, he can be a Duke/Jay protege (NOT podagee, you guys). Now, in my match making mode, I tried for fix him up with Jay's beautiful and smart daughter, Jayleen. Jay said no, no, no. No boys for Jayleen until she is pau college (she is onliest 16 now). Sure Jay. Keep on dreamin'. She is so beautiful, she is going to have all kine boys hanging around. You gonna have to beat them off with a stick. But then, Jay spocked a friend, a young girl in a nice sparkly short, short dress. I'm thinking to myself, why he is one dirty old buggah. But he told us she is one friend who plays `ukulele. This beautiful young girl had our new friend, teen-aged Kimo drooling like she was the tastiest morsel of opihi. Turns out this young girl who picked up Jay's `ukulele and amazed us with her flying fingers was none other than Taimane Gardner, who is hapa Samoan/Haole. http://www.youtube.com/user/Napolianboo Jay dem know everybody! She chatted with us for a while then hurried off to do a show at the Royal Hawaiian. A very nice young lady, and the lady of Kimo's dreams. I probably can't fix him up with Jayleen now.

The next morning, I took Paul to the Puapua Ukulele store and we bought a Taimane CD and also one of Brian Tolentino, and one guy on there with him is that cute Ocean Kaowili!

This was our last day in the islands. Jay and son Aleka came and got us and took us to Tamashiro Market so I could get a picture of the outside. Then he took us inside and introduced us to Bobby Ingano's brother, who Jay said can really play some swell guitar. He is the spittin' image of Bobby. No mistaking they are borthers. We also met a friend who went to school with Momi or else his wife went to school with Momi, I can't remember whic, but how funny is that to go half-way across the world and find someone who knows Momi. I think Jay said this guy plays swell guitar, too, mostly for church. And if you saw how CHEAP the fish and shrimps are there. Stuff that costs $17.00/lb. here in Ohio is about $6.00/lb. there. And we saw some stuff fresh in - some huge fishe like some striped marlin and oddah big stuff like ahi. I also saw some of the biggest clams I have ever seen in my life. They were expensive, but looks like one clam would be a whole meal.
After Tamashiro's we went to Zippy's for lunch. I had saimin, and I wish Al had posted his how to eat saimin tutorial before I went. I think I did not properly slurp my noodles. Then Jay took us by Duke's house so we could get some pictures together and give goodbye hugs to Dukie and Chago and one daughter. Oh, I am going to miss them.

Then Jay took us I think maybe up Nu'uanu? I'm not sure where it was, but he said he needed to stop right quick at a friends house and would we mind. I told him of course not. When we got to his friends house, we sw a beautiful Japanese lady who looked suspiciously like Ozzie Kotani to me. Hah - dat buggah Jay wen take us to Ozzie's house, but alas, Ozzie was not home. We couldn't hang around, because we had to get back soon to get the shuttle to the airport. On the way from Ozzie's house, Jay stopped at Queen Emma's Summer Palace. They let us go in for a very quick walk around. Some spectacular stuff there in that beautiful house. Oh, the grounds are so lovely, too. We stopped at the gift shop where I bouch are really cute nene made of kapa fabric. Paul finally found something we had been looking for all over the island. We had looked for this item in every store we went. No could find. It was He Mele Aloha. We could find it in Japanese, but not English. He wanted this book so badly to give to Jay, since he and Duke did not have the book. We had not even planned to go to Queen Emma's Summer Palace, but through serendipity, Jay took us there and lo and behold, I think Paul bought the last copy in Hawai`i. Use it well, Braddah Jay. Then Jay took us to the school where wife Rizalina works, just time for a quick hug to my new sister Rizalina. Then Jay took us to the rich neighborhood where Jim Nabors house is. Pretty darn ritzy, but the ocean right there is absolutely gorgeous. Jay used to surf over there and pick opihi and spear fish. Then it was back to the hotel and time for our goodbyes to Jay and Aleka. I nevah like smear the mascara. But I planned ahead. I did not wear mascara that day because I new I'd be crying. Plenty of aloha all round.

Duke and Jay and their families made this a trip of a lifetime. We had such a wonderful time, made all the more special because of the abundance of aloha we received, not only from our new hanai families, but by perfect strangers. So much aloha.

On the plane, in the dark after it took off, we had to sing a bit of Honolulu City Lights and start crying again.

To all my new O`ahu friends, Mahalo Nui Loa. Aloha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  08:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Make my eyes get all runny all over again.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile
Andy,you see what you did,nah if was'nt for your website nevah would have met this beautiful couple.Thank you andy.We get one kanikapila coming up soon,and duke mentioned some taro patchers coming to dis one.Even get one fadda and son,pop says his boy plays in da dark just before bedtime,and actually falls asleep with his guitar while playing.Cannot be more dan 13,or 14 years old.I gotta meet dis boy.Again if not for taro patch,would'nt happen.Aloha
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  12:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Wanda, great stories, and I'm glad you and Paul had a nice time. I also spent some time with Doug Fitch in Kailua several trips ago and he's a great guy. He made some time for me just after he sung his daughter to sleep and we played on his front porch on a warm evening. Kailua is where I lived most of my life until we followed our grandkids here to Olympia, WA in 2002. Both Harry Koizumi and Coconut Grove Music are fixtures in Kailua town. Did you happen to stop in at the Hungry Ear next door? It's a great place to buy used (and new) Hawaiian CD's. We probably won't be going back there until November, though my Mom (who still lives in Kailua) and youngest brother (he lives in Kaneohe) will be visiting us this summer.

Mahalo for the stories and how about posting some of those pictures you mentioned?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  10:53:39 PM  Show Profile
For anyone who is interested, here are a few pictures.

http://cordcamera.lifepics.com/net/Albums/ListImages.aspx?album=556F92CB235432E8F172486115DB6B9E053ECB8619D968065CA21FD81B4B1E0D

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Wanda! I thought you'd post a few......didn't expect you to post so many! Great pics!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  2:10:08 PM  Show Profile
It is quicker and easier just to click "select all" instead of doing 'em one by one. I am lazy.

How about the pics of Duke's granddaughter, Cheyenne, playing `ukulele. I think those are so precious. She is only not quite 2 and knows how to hold that `ukulele! Da girl going to have some talent, I think.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  6:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Great read and pics! Thanks Wanda.
Lee

Lee
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  7:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Great pics Wanda! Thanks for sharing.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  04:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Alana - did you see the pics of Hoku Zuttermeister. I told Paul you would probably appreciate those pics. No drooling.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  04:59:43 AM  Show Profile
eh wanda and paul! mahaloz eh fo sharing da pics!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000