Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 One "mau" language question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Warning: picky grammar question here that would belong in the Hawaiian language forum if we had one. I’m hoping for some help from one of our `ohana who is a bit familiar with Hawaiian.

I’m trying hard to understand the meaning of some of the songs I like, but books and tapes only get me so far when it comes to Hawaiian grammar.

The little words are the hardest; where to place words within a phrase also throws me. I’m starting to understand that placing a little word before or after the word it’s associated with can sometimes make a big difference in meaning (“Ka manu nui/ ka nui manu.”)

So what about “mau”?

There’s a song entitled “Ku’u Mau Lei Onaona,” which I guess means “My fragrant lei(s).” “Mau” just makes “lei” plural, right?

But in the song “Ka Makani Kä`ili Aloha” there’s this line:

“… A he milimili `oe, a he hiwahiwa na`u, a he lei mau no ku’u kino.”

The singer is addressing himself to a single person whom he is comparing to a lei, as in lots of songs. So how many lei are there and what function does “mau” serve?

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  3:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Here's the Hawaiian lyrics and the English translations underneath it.

Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha

Ku'u pua, ku'u lei, milimili e
My flower, my lei, mine to cherish

Ku'u lei kau i ka wekiu
My lei that I adore above all others

A he milimili 'oe a he hiwahiwa na'u
You are my favorite lei and precious to me

A he lei mau no ku'u kino
A lei forever for my body

The function that the word "mau" serve in the last line means forever.

Hope that helps.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 06/03/2008 3:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  6:36:20 PM  Show Profile
This is a truly poetic love song! It is up front and open. Its base meaning is unembellished. Its higher level meaning is also unembellished. Digest what Alana's done for us, here. For us Hawaiians (I'm only 50%, have Hawaiian homestead, and am 65 yo), this is one lovely poem for a man to sing to his wahine kealoha with one nose flute accompaniment.

Don't get lost in the words; its how deeply do you mean it.
Herb
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  8:47:18 PM  Show Profile
The language text Nā Kai ʻEwalu would help. Purchase one and peruse. Also Elbert Pukui dictionary helps too. One must do research if the interest is there. It is good to ask though, answers are in abundance.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the comments and help. Yeah, Al, right now I only have a beginning text Ka Lei Ha`aheo and then Elbert and Pukui's Hawaiian Grammar. Maybe time to graduate to a bigger book, huh?

I don't want to get lost in the words--just understand them better. I agree this is one beautiful poem. First time I heard it was in Hana--just a single singer with a guitar accompaniment (no nose flute). Maybe it was partly because of that special place, but I really fell in love with the song. Right now my favorite recording is by David Kahiapo. Check it out if you haven't heard him.

Thanks again for the replies, everybody.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  3:46:31 PM  Show Profile
A beautiful but sad song about a stolen lover. I know you donʻt want to engross yourself with a language study but sometimes a question like yours gets answered by perusing some literature. Many words are spelt and pronounced the same but have different meanings. So ask away and we will attempt an answer if we can.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  7:58:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mike2jb

Warning: picky grammar question here that would belong in the Hawaiian language forum if we had one. I’m hoping for some help from one of our `ohana who is a bit familiar with Hawaiian.

I’m trying hard to understand the meaning of some of the songs I like, but books and tapes only get me so far when it comes to Hawaiian grammar.

The little words are the hardest; where to place words within a phrase also throws me. I’m starting to understand that placing a little word before or after the word it’s associated with can sometimes make a big difference in meaning (“Ka manu nui/ ka nui manu.”)

So what about “mau”?

There’s a song entitled “Ku’u Mau Lei Onaona,” which I guess means “My fragrant lei(s).” “Mau” just makes “lei” plural, right?

But in the song “Ka Makani Kä`ili Aloha” there’s this line:

“… A he milimili `oe, a he hiwahiwa na`u, a he lei mau no ku’u kino.”

The singer is addressing himself to a single person whom he is comparing to a lei, as in lots of songs. So how many lei are there and what function does “mau” serve?

Mau is used to pluralize after all ka‘i (determiners) except ke & ka. They become "nā". With all others, he, kou, ko‘u ka‘u, kau, ka ‘oukou, etc, you use mau before the item you are pluralizing.

nā pua - my flowers (NEVER ka mau or ke mau)
he mau pua - some flowers or just flowers
ka'u mau pua - my flowers
kā kākou mau pua - our (inclusive) flowers

As noted in Ka Makani Kā‘ili Aloha example, it can be used as an adjective or adverb. Ke aloha mau a mau - eternal love.

It can also be uses as a stative verb - Mau nō ko‘u aloha iā ‘oe (my love for you continues, persists, etc.

Edited by - keoladonaghy on 06/05/2008 01:31:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  04:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Keola - are you home yet?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  07:03:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Keola. Those are exactly the distinctions I had trouble understanding. Looks like, as with many words, position in the sentence and context can make all the difference.

This helps with my understanding of several of my favorite songs--not to mention the state mottto.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  9:14:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Keola - are you home yet?

Aloha Wanda. No, about three weeks to go. A few days layover in Sydney and we'll be home in Hilo by July 1. Looking forward to it - getting a bit chilly here. Too close to Antarctica ;-)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Haha, I wanted to help you out, but all the rest of them beat me to it. Shucks!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000