Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka Nani Mae Ole
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Want to hear something very beautiful? Try this:

http://www.na-kama.com/video_pages/japan_hoike/hoike_ka_nani_mae_ole.html

I was so moved by it when I heard Na Kama perform it on Pakele Live! a couple of weeks ago, I bought the song on iTunes. However, tonight, when I was searching for a translation of the lyrics, I came across this video of them doing it complete with a beautiful hula accompaniment. BTW, I did find that the title translates as "Never Fading Beauty." If anyone has the lyrics translated, please point me to them. In any case, I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Mark E

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  6:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks - nani -
I especially liked how they delayed bringing in the harmony. Sweet touch.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  8:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
For what its worth Pua mae ole has alway been translated as "never fading bloom or flower" so the translaton of never fading beauty would be consistent with that.
Kuu Pua Mae Ole is also a lovely song.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  04:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
He mele nani kela! I'd love to learn to dance it.

I just checked and huapala doesn't have it on there. However, I just e-mailed Na Kama to ask if any of them could e-mail the lyrics and translation to me. If they do, I'll pass them on to you all.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  06:53:38 AM  Show Profile
"Kuu pua mae ole". I prefer to take it up one more notch and s t r e t c h the 'poem' to "the children in this world will always be the beauty of the world and the continuation of (my) life". Poetic freedom prevails.

But, "Hapuna" Russ, you are the spring of life, too, as representing the continuation of life... So, imua!!!!!!!

Bruddah, Kai
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Ta-daaaaaaaa!

Ka Nani Mae ‘Ole
Words and music by Eric Lee
Lee Enterprises (BMI)

‘O ku‘u pua nani nō
Nohea i ka maka nei
A he wehi o uka lā
No nā kau a kau Oh, my beautiful flower
So lovely to behold
An adornment of the uplands
Enduring for all seasons
‘O ku‘u pua nani nō
Pōpohe i ka la‘i
I lei ho‘ohiehie
E ho‘oheno mau ai Oh, my beautiful flower
So well-shaped in tranquility
So elegant as a lei
To always cherish
‘O ka nani mae ‘ole
Hali‘a nei i ka mana‘o
A he milimili ‘oe
Nohea i ka pu‘uwai It is this never-fading beauty
That enchants my mind
You are my beloved
The lovely one of my heart
Hū a‘e nei ke aloha
No ia nani lua ‘ole
Palena ‘ole ka ‘ano‘i
E pili mau nō My love swells
For this incomparable beauty
My desire overwhelms me
To embrace you and never let go
Eia ho‘i ke aloha
Ku‘u pua nani nō
Hanu pū iho ke ‘ala
E pili pa‘a pono ai Here is my love for you
My beautiful flower
Let us both breathe in the fragrance
That joins us together

Mana‘o:
Ka nani mae ‘ole (the never fading beauty), is poetically symbolic of an unforgettable memory, as a result of love. Whether you are apart for just a day, or for a lifetime, love leaves an imprint on your heart that lasts forever.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  04:50:08 AM  Show Profile
Eric and the dancer in this video (I think her name is Shauna)play 3 or 4 mornings a week at the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel. Wanda & I have enjoyed their performances for the past 5 years at breakfast. They left for a hula show in Japan on tuesday, but will be back tomorrow. On Saturdays, after their performance they give a short hula lesson, mostly geared toward tourists. Wanda learned Ulupalakua from them last week. Now she expects me to sing it so she can dance. I'm working on it, but Eric Lee I'm not!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  1:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Eric and the dancer in this video (I think her name is Shauna)play 3 or 4 mornings a week at the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel. Wanda & I have enjoyed their performances for the past 5 years at breakfast. They left for a hula show in Japan on tuesday, but will be back tomorrow. On Saturdays, after their performance they give a short hula lesson, mostly geared toward tourists. Wanda learned Ulupalakua from them last week. Now she expects me to sing it so she can dance. I'm working on it, but Eric Lee I'm not!
Paul

Likewise, I'm learning "Aia La 'O Pele" but need a recording to practice with.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000