Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Martin Pahinui, Geo Kuo, Aaron Mahi, Bobby Ingano
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile
We went twice to see these guys at the Waikiki Marriott. We all pretty much agree on Martin's beautiful singing voice. However, Martin's singing is set off even more beauitfully that Aaron's smooth, deep baritone voice. The compliment each other very well. I could close my eyes and picture Aaron singing some Sinatra or Torme songs. Also, Aaron tells great history of the songs before they are sung. He is quite knowledgeable about mo`olelo. He is expert with the language, as well. Additionally, his bass playing adds a grat richness to the songs. Subtle but played at the right time in the mele. Good bass playing rounds out the rest of the music. Kind of like the difference between a scoop of ice cream and one with whipped cream and a cherry.

Also, we spoke about He Mele Aloha. Aaron says that a new version is being worked on to fix up some language and translation errors in the first edition. Also, they are working on volume 2. Rigt now they are working on obtaining copyright permission as appropriate. It would be way swell to have another book with more songs.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  3:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Howzit auntie,I wen mention to bobby about aaron playing wit his eyes close,bobby said das how,maybe wit being busy from his catering bussiness,church,and playing music,that might be part of it.Still,da buggahs sound good.Aloha
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  12:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Dukie -- no bad mouth my dear Martin. He is probably the most talented of the brothers. Well, not that Bla or Cyril are shabby -- that all have their strengths. But Martin can do it all. He plays nice bass, nice kii ho`alu, siings rock & roll kine, falsetto kine, regular kine. He holds a very nice steady beat with the slack key. That Backyard Jam Video (which you were SO kind to lend us--Ive watched about 4 times already in 7 days) is great, I think. Yeah, Martin playing bass mostly. But sheesh, look who else they got to play other stuff. The really cool part about that video was the brothers on Maui when they were making their CD. Love eto hear Bla and his beloved doo-wop in Come Go With Me but the real treasure is Martin with Jealous Guy. When we left you guys at Kaka`ako and went to see Martin dem again on Sunday, I told Martin I had a request for him. I said play either Canefire or Jealous Guy. He said no can do, because George says gotta be all old kine Hawaiian music. But he did reminisce about making that and telling me the guy who played drums for them is the same guy who played drums for John Lennon when he recorded it. He said chicken skin.

One other cool thing about that film is Cyril playing He`eia with his Dad. I think it makes Cyril's new He`eia CD even more special and precious.

But remember, Martin is the quiet one, the gentle one. He is the sleeper. He can do it all!

Duke - you are pretty darn swell you can see their hands and tell what tuning. I know dem Pahinui guys like them C tunings. That is probably why Paul wants you to teach him a C tuning. I guess that is the difference between a guitar player and one elemakule old lady like me. I watch the cute boys faces. You watch the hands. You think I watched your hands while you were playing music on the beach????

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  8:12:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I watch the cute boys faces. You watch the hands. You think I watched your hands while you were playing music on the beach????
For crying out loud Ma!! Leave you alone at home for one minute anden look you!!

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  07:49:01 AM  Show Profile
I was right there on the beach while that was going on. Oh, the humanity! And every time I looked at her, she made like she was watching the keiki's play with her cameras, or something. At least one of us was watching the hands.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  10:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
So right about the talent and knowledge these guys possess, but the really impressive thing is that they are such nice people...and cooks...oh George makes some 'onolicious podagee bean soup!

Here's something to get those of us on the west coast excited...some recent correspondence indicating possible show dates and locations.

It's looking like the Eugene, and Bend shows are a go.

Aloha Kurt,

Howzit going Pocho, any updates for Bend ?

We got an interest from the Shedd in Eugene, so we are going to try doing it on Fri Sep 12, before we come to Bend

We will probably be in Seattle on Sep 9 Tue at the Triple Door

So our schedule after the Bay Area coming up to WA-OR is shaping up like this:

Sep 7 Sun - Garberville CA

Sep 9 Tue - Seattle WA

Sep 12 Fri - Eugene OR

Sep 13 Sat - Bend OR

Mahalo nui !!!
George

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  2:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Podagee - Lucky you guys ova deah! But you are right! They are just the nicest folks. Man, Geo never made soup for me. That is probably for the best. See Guavasunrise's posts re: futs. Daggone. It just dawned on me why Duke has the problem. He's Podagee.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  05:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned their CD, "Ho'olohe" on Dancing Cat. It is certainly on my top ten list. And - WOW! they're gpong to be in Seattle! Also, Sunday afternoon at the Moana Terrace is a must for me when I'm on Oahu.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile
I think it is officially listed only for Martin, but he certainly has friends helpiing him out on it. Martin also has said that he believes Geo Winston to be extremely instrumental in helping keep the music alive. He gives plenny accolades to Mr. Winston.

If you guys go Waikiki on Sunday, make sure to go Moana Terrace at the Marriott 6:30 - 9:00 to see Martin, George, Aaron and Bobby Ingano. You go support the music and then they will keep having music for us to listen to. Then go across the street to Tiki's. They have good music, too, such as Weldon Kekauoha, nominated for a Na Hoku. For free you can listen to this music! Just gotta buy drinks or pupus.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  01:27:34 AM  Show Profile

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  03:38:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Eh Ma, look you now posting peetchas on your own! Nevah too late fo learn, yeah?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000