Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Olomana at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  01:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
For the past 10+ years, Olomana has been in “residence” at The Paradise Lounge at The Hilton Hawaiian Village. Every Friday and Saturday evening from 8 p.m. to midnight, the lounge turns into "Olomana's living room" and Hawaiian music and hula are shared with aloha.

Saturday, March 1st, was my first time going there after Dan Sythe told me about it. It was also my first time seeing Jerry Santos perform. It’s hard to believe one can actually listen to such a polished group of professionals for 3 hours just for the price of drinks! It’s unreal. Haunani Apoliona and Wally Suenaga were out of town so Jerry performed with Mark Yim on guitar, Hoku Zuttermeister on bass, and with hula dancer Nalani Badua. The trio performed Olomana favorites/Hawaiian traditionals with such aloha and feeling.

What a great venue. No cover charge, validated valet parking, no drink minimum, and great music. What often makes evenings even more special is Olomana’s “open door policy of sharing the stage with the talented musicians and dancers that drop by.” On this night, Peter Apo and Jerry’s intermediate school choir teacher at Kamehameha, Robert Peters, borrowed the stage for a while.

When I thought it couldn’t possibly get better, Kuana Torres of Na Palapalai took the stage for a few songs while Jerry was on break. Kuana, Hoku and Mark wowed everyone with the sweetest falsetto harmonies I’ve ever heard. Particularly entertaining was a rendition of Auntie Genoa Keawe’s signature song “Alika.” By 12:15am, Jerry returned to the stage to close out the night with a final song.

If you’re on O`ahu, I highly recommend the Paradise Lounge for some truly awesome music. Jerry Santos and various forms of Olomana are great, plus you never know who will drop in. For more info, check www.olomanamusic.com.

Andy

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  7:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Shhhhhhhh...you're gonna have Jerry's gigs be standing-room-only!

This truly is one of the most special places to be on any Friday/Saturday night in Waikiki. Jerry is a gracious host to friends, family, and tourists alike. Expect the unexpected -- you may see long-time artists such as George Naope, Frank Hewett, Melveen Leed, Karen Keawehawai`i and others be invited to join Jerry and da gang on stage. Or you may be able to say "I remember when..." as Jerry invites relatively-unknown musicians to perform, too.

This is no ordinary Waikiki lounge environment. Comfortable over-stuffed chairs, soft sofas, or the requisite table 'n chairs -- you will feel as if you're in someone's home, enjoying excellent music and drink. Come early; stay late.

But shhhhhhhh....don't tell too many others!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  10:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Good Olomana article by John Berger in the Honolulu Star Bulletin today titled Hidden gem at the Hilton.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000