Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Building a website - where to start
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  8:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I've decided to create my own website. There's lots of info via the net but not sure what might be helpful and what's bogus. Any advice to get me started in the right direction would be very appreciated. Software suggestions...legit websites, etc.

Mahalo

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  04:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
What's your intended purpose for the website? Personal, professional?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  06:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Professional. Need to have my own site for potential customers to view my work. Hope it's OK to be asking this question here. Something simple, just need to have pictures and contact info...basic stuff. Thanks

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  06:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Adobe Dreamweaver is an industry standard. Microsoft FrontPage is pretty good and may be easier to use from the start. Not sure about websites. There is probably something out there that is straight forward to use where you can upload your work.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  06:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Podagee - I thought you had a web site. Didn't I look at pictures of your detailing work somewhere?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  10:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Thanks Andy, I'll look into it.

Wanda...I have some pics of my work on a website...it's kinda like a specialized photobucket - where I can post pictures. The web address is a mouthful, difficult to remember, and it has limitations. It's called Pinhead lounge. I just want one of my own that is a little more flexible, and I hope to have a web address that's easy to remember. I've learned a lot and gained a little confidence from my involvement in helping a local web builder create Bill Keale's website, that goes hand in hand with the Luau site...I add content and images to the Luau page. I pretty sure I can pull it off...with a little time and patience.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  06:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I use Aplus.net, with a few bells and whistles I pay about $120 a year for two websites. If I were energetic enough to roll up all my "stuff" and shop for a new host I could probably knock that down a bit.

ISPs routinely provide a small hosting space, but these sites are pretty small and have very limited bandwidth (transfer volume). The low cost hosting providers like Go Daddy, Blue Host, and Host Monster are now providing such large storage and bandwidth that most of us would never have to think about our resource limits.

Many of these hosts will provide a free domain name when you sign up. You can also check for the availability of a domain name at their site.

I've been using an old version of Dreamweaver, but there are lots of free options for editing simple HTML layouts.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 06/13/2008 06:55:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  6:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I am really starting to like content management software (CMS) like www.drupal.org. It's open source which means that it is free. There are many others like Joomla. Google 'em and visit the sites. FYI, some very large websites are built using these and similar software.

You'd still need a webhost but install a CMS and suddenly a world of different themes and modules are available to you. Also, it is nice because you wouldn't need a Dreamweaver or MS Frontpage to make web updates. Might take some learning but no more than with using Frontpage.

In addition to CMS, you could build a site on blogging software. See www.wordpress.org.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Kurt,

What kind of computer do you use: a Mac or a PC. For PC stuff I use Front Page 2003 and it's easy to learn. For personal stuff I use my Mac which has pre-loaded software and is extremely easy to use.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Thanks for the helpful tips. Pops, I use a PC.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000