Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Volcano stories
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  5:04:32 PM  Show Profile
I've been having so much fun on the "Broken English" thread that I haven't really gotten away from it since it started, but Basil's comment that only 30 other people were posting out of 2000 members made me want to try to make a connection with some of the others who perhaps were unable to manage the translation and follow the fun.

So in hopes of a wider appeal and some sharing on one of my favorite topics, I'd like to ask if any of you have any Volcano stories you would like to share. Me, I've spent a lot of time checking out the volcanoes in Hawai'i as well as other places. So I will kick it off by sharing a few experiences from the mundane to the spiritual.

I have always had a fascination with volcanos- perhaps it was the power attributed to Lassen and Shasta by the Maidu with whom I spent a fair time in my youth, perhaps it was the hot springs we sought out through my childhood in the western states, or even the strong impact of seeing "Krakatoa, East of Java" when I was seven- I can still remember many scenes from the movie even though I never saw it again.

When I was eight or nine we went to the village of Paracutin (spelling?)in Mexico- Colima state I think. One day a farmer was working in his corn field when a crack opened in the earth and lava started shooting out. He ran back to the village and warned everyone- the volcano built quickly and soon the lava flooded towards the village. Everyone ran for shelter into the church and prayed. The lava buried the entire village, right to the top of the church walls, about twenty feet deep. But it went right around the church, leaving about a foot of space between the lava and the church walls; only touching the walls in a few places. I remember as a small child I had no trouble stepping from the lava field onto the top of the church walls, over a narrow crack that separated the lava field from the wall- narrow but very deep. Then looking down into the church yard where all the people were saved while the lava flowed twenty feet deep all around them. You could literally feel the mana radiating from the walls! Everything else for miles around was buried in lava.

Years later I saw something similar in Hawai'i- an ancient and powerful heiau where human sacrifice was said to have been introduced to the islands. The lava covered everything around, including a massive steel framed NPS visitor center nearby. Time and again the lava flowed right up to the walls of the heiau, then stopped, not quite touching them. Again, the mana was obvious. But in this case eventually, years later, the heiau was covered.

An interesting side story at Paracutin- after we visited the church, we went into the town to go to the market and buy supplies. But the town, at first, appeared deserted. Then we would turn a corner onto a new street, full of people, and all the people would scuttle off and disappear into the nearest doorway and the street would be deserted. But as you walked down the street, you got a funny feeling in the back of the neck, and if you looked back quickly you would see every door open just a crack behind you- but they would all slam closed when you looked. After one corner, one young woman nearby tried to scurry into a door but the door was locked- her eyes darted this way and that but there was no way she could get back on the street and enter another door without coming near us. She just froze, trembling, obviously panicked, trying to melt into the wall as we walked by. We got the message that we were not going to get any supplies here, and were not exactly welcomed with open arms! Clearly this town had never seen American tourists before...

Mana I can feel, and I have a deep respect and love for the spirits of the earth- no doubt due in large part to my Native American upbringing. So naturally I give honor and respect to Pele whenever I visit her home. Whatever I have, I share- and she seems to prefer it when I bring something especially for her. Fish are the best, and she has a special fondness for oysters. We discovered this one day when we decided to cook some oysters on the flow. Naturally we first offered a couple to Pele, placing them in an active crack with a prayer, and she quickly opened the crack and swallowed the oysters. Next we went off to the side where it was not active but the lava was still hot enough to cook on, and placed the oysters we planned on eating there.Just as they started to be ready, a crack suddenly opened just above them and a quick gush of lava poured out and buried the oysters, leaving the rest of the food we had cooking there intact. But we don't resent it when she enjoys something we bring so much that she helps herself to a little more...

Another thing she famously enjoys is gin. One rather amusing incident was when the beach by the aforementioned visitor center was being covered, and a fair crowd of people were hanging out at the beach watching the lava slowly advance over it and enter the ocean. I had stopped for a bottle of gin for Pele on the way, and when we arrived we went over to make an offering. I am a strong believer, and with a silent prayer I poured her a glass of gin, which she accepted with a very dramatic flair up that drew a lot of attention. Next my girlfriend offered her more- she had seen a lot on various trips with me and was pretty convinced that there was indeed a powerful spirit present in the volcano. The response was considerably less but still substantial. Then my young son, who pretty much was just doing what dad did without really understanding, made an offering which was accepted with a token flash.

A man came up and asked me what we were doing, so I explained. He laughed and told me it was strictly a physical reaction- naturally when you pour alcohol on hot lava the alcohol is going to vaporize and ignite- and he asked for the bottle so he could demonstrate. I just laughed and handed him the bottle. He poured some gin on the hot lava- nothing. Hardly a sizzle. "Oh, that's just because you cooled this spot down pouring gin on it- it isn't hot enough any more". So he poured here, poured there- the hottest spots he could find- nothing. I asked him for my gin back before it was gone, took a sip, thought a prayer, and offered the little bit left to Pele- right on the same spot he had just poured a quarter of the bottle with no effect. The flair up curled the hair around his shocked face. He just stumbled off without another word.

I've had so many great volcano experiences- some just dramatic, some hard to believe, all real- no need make up one story wen reality so much more amazing! I could fill a book- and if this thread catches some interest, and others come share a bit, then I will take the time to share some more...

Chris

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  7:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Chris,
Definitely great talk story. Don't have any volcano material, so I can't add, but I loved reading your tales.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  8:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Chris

Funny that you should mention an incident with a very skeptical tourist.
A friend of our family who has been a park ranger at Hawaii Volcano National
Park for at least 30 years that I'm sure of ,once told us about how they get
lava rocks in the mail everyday. Evidently tourist who were forewarned not
to take home lava rocks as souveniers, mail them back because they've
encountered mysterious strings of bad luck. Stories & explanations almost
always accompany the packages in hopes of reversing their predicament.I am
a very adamant skeptic also and attribute their perception with suggestive
influences.It don't mean I'll go up there & take a bunch of rocks in defiance
I'd rather err on the side of caution

Braddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  01:43:57 AM  Show Profile
I do not have any profound volcano stories to tell. The profoundness comes from the mana of Kilauea. Standing there, looking at Halema`uma`u, seeing the enormity of it, seeing the smoke wisping into the air cannot help but make chicken skin. Felling the heat of the earth through the soles of your shoes shows the power of nature and the power of Pele. Driving Chain of Craters Road, looking left and looking right, seeing the a`a and pahoehoe making patterns with their textures demonstrates that Pele appreciates fine art. Looking across the vast emptiness of the lava fields, one learns there is not emptiness, but so much to see -- new earth with all the bounties needed for new beginnings. Here and there you see a crack in the earth and a tiny fern beginning to grow. /Every so often there is a casting of hardened lava in the shpe of a tree trunk. Pele is showing that she has power over the things growing and the power to make the earth ready to begin all over again. There is such a sense of creation, of sacredness, of power.

But then, you see that she does not have power over Kamapua`a, battle as she might. Her lava puts up a mighty battle when it meets the sea. Oh, what a fight, hissing, spewing, exploding. Ah, the passion between Pele and Kamapua`a! Pele has also learned that despite her awesome power, water is also needed to make the land grow and flourish.

I have often wondered, though, why Pele does not get huhu when her pohaku are taken to make fences or to make an imu or to make pumice stones for rub your rough, tired feet? Why doesn't she get huhu about all her stones laying helter-skelter from the ruined heiau? Why doesn't she get huhu when her pohaku are sold over the internet by florists who plant bromeliads or orchids in a hollowed out lava rock? I even one time wrote an e-mail to a Hawaiian florist web site who advertised at very resonable prices, flowers and plants growing in volcanic rocks. I asked them how they could get away with it and Pele no get huhu. They very respectfully replied to me that it was a product they chose to no longer sell. They learned it was disrespectful to Pele. She said there were several incidents that lead them to believe ethat Pele did not care for them selling plants in her stones. She did not elaborate. One can only speculate how Pele let them know what she did not care for.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  04:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Interestingly, the "superstition" regarding the bad luck from taking volcanic rocks from the park was invented by the National Park Service to discourage tourists from stripping all the interesting specimens from the park. Eventually they realized that with Pele generating so much new material, it really wasn't a problem, and they stopped promoting this "legend". Of course this is not an ancient Hawaiian tradition- they traded adzes and obsidian across the island chain, and the idea of shipping rocks to other island groups was not exactly a top priority.

Think about it- over a million people a year visit the park, and almost every one takes a rock. If one percent of these people happen to have some seriously bad luck- not an unreasonable supposition- that is about ten thousand people a year who have had bad luck and taken rocks. Now let's say that one in ten is "superstitious" enough to hope that returning the rocks will end the bad luck. Then the park will be receiving three packages of rocks a day- great for the post office's income...

And a correction for Wanda- Kamapua'a rules over the northern half of the Big Island. Basically he and Pele get along fine, but like all lovers they have an occasional spat, which tends to get played out along the Wailuku river. Kanaloa is the ocean deity, and he and Pele do seem to have problems getting along!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  6:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Chris. This is enticing. My respect for Pele congealed when three of us where visiting Chain of Craters Road. We stopped at Byron's Ledge, looked over the side, and noticed how the lava was flowing back into the vent (I forgotten the name of this crater). That 1960 night a fountain spewed from that exact spot we stood upon, up to 1000+ feet! Granted, at that moment we stood overlooking the backflow, Richard (my friend) and I were nonchalant, though respectful. But, Eli kept getting fidgety. So... We cut the rest of the trip and headed back to Hilo; twas 4:00PM. That vent blew sometime tween our departure and arrival in Hilo. See: Eli is grandson to Reverend Kuamoo of the Hawaiian congregational church on Manono St in Kilauea Houselots. Coincidence?

Actually, my ahupuaa is Hilo, not Kau, and Kona. Everytime I cross the noenoe in the vicinity of the rubbish dump, I get chicken skin. When I'm smack on the gounds of the golf course, I'm okay. Otherwise, things have happened to me: stubbed toe, bronchial fungus attack, 'relieved as KMC transportation supervisor', etc. What makes it worse is that my last name means "sea". Or, Pele and Kai don't mix. My mother who is from Kailua-Kona matriculated over and through Volcano/Kau easily. She showed me that cigars and gin or vodka is highly desirable to Pele. I do pray when there, though I can't oli as mom did. But! Pele is only tolerant of me, letting me harvest subsistance quantities, e.g. ohelo, hapupu, maile, etc. As soon as I get greedy, then I spill blood.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  02:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Baritone-

That would be Kilauea Iki. For so many years I was jealous of those to whom Pele had displayed such beauty, but I finally got my chance the last time Pu'u O'o fountained. My brother and I spent the night on Kame Nui o Hamo the first night of the eruption sequence, snug and dry in the middle of big piles of fountain grass we had gathered, watching the lava spatter from the base of the old pu'u and fountain several hundred feet for half the night at a vent that eventually became Pu'u O'o, or at least was buried by it, on down the rift.

Tlme and time again I would hear that Pu'u O'o was fountaining again, and I would drive down from Waipi'o to see it. One time I even got to see it from North Hilo off in the distance, but by the time I made it to Puna it had stopped. News gets to Waipi'o slowly, and where I live we don't get TV or radio.

But then one year a friend offered us a shack in Orchidland so we could put our kids in Malamalama school, a (at the time) really good private school in Paradise Park. Honokaa school had ranked second lowest in the entire nation academically in standardized testing, so that wasn't an option, and we were having difficulty separating home schooling from parenting issues, so this was a good opportunity. Anyway, one night my lady woke me at about 2 AM and said "Chris, the sky's all red!"

I jumped into my truck and rused up to Captain's Drive in Fern Forest, where you get a great view. That was the last time Pu'u O'o fountained, and it was the highest- about seven times as high as the cone; well over a thousand feet judging by my Waipi'o sense from looking at 1200-3000 foot pali all day. Watching a column of lava a quarter of a mile high is an experience that simply cannot be described. Everything seems to happen in slow motion when the scale is so enormous. "Drops" of molten rock, each the size of a house, sprinkle down from the sky floating like thistledown. The entire world seems to have a red glow. You, too, are glowing- with warmth, with excitement, with love. Pele is the Goddess of my heart.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  05:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Only one time I went down to Waipio, in 1950. This not my ahupuaa, though I marvel from Honokaa side. Subsequent visits to Waipio are STILL loaded with "you no belong here". Though, I was a crew member who built the mudlane fence (stayed in the house that was in Kamuela where the Shell station is; house was moved to Church Row)and the Kawaihae to Hapuna road. Strange, though Waimea is not my ahupuaa, my na'au maikai'i (my guts feel fine) there.

The message in my an'au I get in Kau, i.e. from Waha Ula Heiau to the ranch up mauka and South Green Sand Beach makai Waiohinu is not comfortable. Even though I was KMC tour guide, traipsing over Pele's ground with the curious in this kapu area, I had to be aware of the mele o makani (song of the wind) and its message. Caution; no get greedy!

After that evening in 1960 of the Kilauea Iki 'blow', we did go visit. YES, Chris, height does put slow motion into the viscous spew.

The only 'chick-skin' encounter I had was in 1952, or so. We were driving with my Uncle John in his 1947 black Jaguar Mark II (or whatever) heading to Halemaumau. We were loaded down with human goodies but none for Pele. We were passing around warm chocolate when the kaa broke down in Kurtistown. Never ran since....until about 1975 when, as pictorially as Pele would be in kupuna dress, it rambled down Waianuenue Ave under the hand of a hard working malahini from the Mainland. I learned from THAT story.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000