Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Guitar/`Ukulele Strings in da Olden Days
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I've been wondering what the Hawaiians did in the olden days when they needed strings for the instruments left behind by the paniolo or the Pordagee? If they broke a string, how would they know what gauge to put? How did they know how to tune them? What were the strings made of? They did not have an Elderly Instruments or Musicians Friend back in the day.
Does anyone know of any tomes on the subject I could read? I would be most interested in the history of those instruments being introduced to Hawai`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  06:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I've been wondering what the Hawaiians did in the olden days when they needed strings for the instruments left behind by the paniolo or the Pordagee?
My guess (emphasis on guess) is that they might have used animal sinew or gut, just as musicians around the world did at that point in time. "Frets" magazine ran a nice piece on stringmaking, back in the late '70s; not specifically on Hawaiian - more general than that, but a fascinating story.

I found it online at the author's own website:
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Articles/stringmaking.htm

William Cumpiano has written a lot of pieces that explain the technical aspects of guitars in understandable terminology, and he has posted many of them there.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I was told that, a few hundred years ago, the Italians who specialized in making instrument strings from sheep guts invented the term "cat gut" strings because to discourage competition, knowing that killing a cat for its intestines would be an anathema to most Italian people.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  2:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of cat gut strings.......

Paul and `Oni`oni are making music on da banjo `ukulele.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  7:53:39 PM  Show Profile
http://professorstring.com/cat_gut.htm
Check this link for the history of the Cat Gut misnomer. Oni-Oni accepted this explanation, and we're cool again.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000