Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 O Solo Mio...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  05:07:13 AM  Show Profile
Bon giornno,
So far, no slack key players...
Arrived in Venice, by the canal ferry, into San Marco piazza, in a cool, perpetual rain...noe noe...sorta like an impressionist painting!
but happy...and by the end of the day, sunny and dry.
Thank goodness for microfiber, micro-bier, und molto espresso.
Life is good, but with all this water and these islands, why no slack-key?
And the language sounds a little Hawaiianesque...lots of vowels on the end...maybe the Romance language influenced by the Portuguese, Spanish, or vice-versa!
Since between the Portuguese and the Spanish, slack key would have manifested as a different expression of spirit...
Anyway, we are virtually opposite of Hawaii!
If you have to miss camp, I guess this ain't too bad.
But next year...I wanna head out west.
Ciao and Aloha

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  05:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Gordon - Ciao! What I want to know is are the canals filled with clean water or scungy water? (Taken from the Italian scungili, which I think means eels therefore water being icky and stagnant which is what the eels like). Should be able to find plenty Italians playing guitar. Don't forget concertina, though.

And don't forget pizza Margarita. Pure simple fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh sweet basil. One thing, can find plenty good eats.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
And why did you use "O Sole Mio" as your subject if I may ask? Did you hear someone sing it?

That reminds me, I wish Pavarati was still here...

BTW did I tell any of you that I'm an opera fan?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  03:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Instead of going to Hawaii this year, I acquiesced to my wife's wishes and I'm sitting in Cancun, MX right now. Mexico has its own wonderful music, which is everywhere here. We've been serenaded, for tips, of course, on buses, in ferries, in restaurants and on the street. Los Mexicanos love their music and it is full of its own unique spirit. Only nylon strings down here, but their rhythms are infectious. I miss Hawaii, but I am learning a lot about how the music blends with the culture.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  04:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Pasta and gelato. Mmmm. The Venice squid ink doesn't quite do it for me, but I love Venice. Buon viaggio!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  07:06:46 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - dem Mexico guyz got da huge, big geetah. Sounds very nice.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Bon giornno,
So far, no slack key players...
Arrived in Venice, by the canal ferry, into San Marco piazza, in a cool, perpetual rain...noe noe...sorta like an impressionist painting!
but happy...and by the end of the day, sunny and dry.
Thank goodness for microfiber, micro-bier, und molto espresso.
Life is good, but with all this water and these islands, why no slack-key?
And the language sounds a little Hawaiianesque...lots of vowels on the end...maybe the Romance language influenced by the Portuguese, Spanish, or vice-versa!
Since between the Portuguese and the Spanish, slack key would have manifested as a different expression of spirit...
Anyway, we are virtually opposite of Hawaii!
If you have to miss camp, I guess this ain't too bad.
But next year...I wanna head out west.
Ciao and Aloha

Reminds me of a telegram Robert Benchley sent Jame Thurber: "Arrived Venice [stop] Streets Flooded [stop] Please avdise [stop]

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  09:07:53 AM  Show Profile
I think that monstrous guitar is called a guitarrone, and is actually used as a bass.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile
"are the canals filled with clean water or scungy water? "

Bad news on thet one- where do you think the sewage goes from all those 15th century houses?

Venice is almost as famous for it's overwhelming odors as it is for it's masks.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000