Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Help name that chord
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahili
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  3:15:22 PM  Show Profile
I finally got started on the tab for Queen's Jubilee. I've been singing this song for years and never knew the names of the chords I was using. These two chords are in the intro.
G taro patch tuning:

#1 1s/10f 2s/10f 3s/11f 4s/0 (bar the 10th fret)

#2 1s/5f 2s/5f 3s/6f 4s/5f 5s/7f (bar the 5th fret)

Mahalo Nui
Kahili

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  6:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
According to my Palm:

#1: D7
#2: Nothing as you have it (no 5th). With 6s/5f it's a G6dim5, with 6s/7f added it's an A11

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
The way to think about chord #1 is that it's related to the closed form D major chord:
1s/12f 2s/10f 3s/11f 4s/12f
except it has the C (flatted 7) for the 1st string and open D for the 4th string.

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 03/09/2003 6:25:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

kahili
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

According to my Palm:

#2: Nothing as you have it (no 5th). With 6s/5f it's a G6dim5, with 6s/7f added it's an A11

Mahalo for the chords. I'm currently checking out TabEdit 2.61 Demo. Very in-ter-es-ting (gives me stress). Not knowing how to read music, I guess now is a good time to get started or at least make an attempt.
kahili
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  9:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You don't need to know how to read music in order to use TablEdit...you just enter the notes as you play them on the fretboard and TablEdit automatically figures out the notes for the staff. The only thing you have to figure out is the timing of the notes, which is usually easier if you enter the bass notes first (especially if you have an alternating bass). Also, TablEdit has the ability to try to determine the chords for you once you've entered the notes.

If you need any help with TablEdit, feel free to email me at craig @ patchett.com. There are a few other people here who can help out too.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  12:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

According to my Palm:

Craig,

#2, I believe this is a passing chord, used in transition and also used to create stress this is one of the characteristics of Peter Moon's arrangements and it resolves very nicely back to G. The way that Kahili has it layed out is like a chameleon chord. It is not quite a G diminished 7th because there is no A# on the first string at the eighth fret. But if he just plays the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings (G,C# & E) it becomes a Db diminished so it has that sound of almost being a diminished 7th. If strings 5,4,3,2 are played than it becomes musical chord name gobbledy gook Db minor flatted 9 flatted 5, but it still has that diminished sound. If you get rid of the 6th and 5th string and play 1 through 4, then it becomes an A7. Paint with a broad brush on this one, just remember it helps you get from point A to point B, in a nice harmonic way. Forget about what the chord is called, just diagram a fretboard and you will see that it is a very easy chord to hold. Just remember what it sounds like and what it looks like and that you use it for transitional phrases.

Peter M

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 03/10/2003 03:35:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks for the clarification Peter...my knowledge of chords and music theory is minimal. I have a program on my PDA that calculates chords based on the strings played (or vice-versa) and I just referred to that. Obviously neither it nor I are knowledgeable enough to provide the analysis you did. (I'm learning though...it never will!)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 03/10/2003 10:54:39 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000