Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keoki's New Instructional Video
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
I have had a sneek preview of Keoki's instructional video for beginning slack key players. It is great, and in my beginers opinion if you want to learn how to play slack key, this is the tape to get.

The tuning is Taro Patch and covers finger patterns, chords up and down the fret board, turn arounds, strumming, and has exercises which connect all of what is learned in the various sections.

Production values are very good and Bruce Lamb at Bruce Lamb Productions has done an outstanding job in capturing and displaying both the left and right hand movements, which leave no doubt as to where and what your fingers should be doing. Keoki is articulate and displays his mastery of teaching skills

Southern California SlackKey Society members will preview the tape tonight, so a number of fellow Taro Patchers can comment on it.

You can contact Bruce at homefix @ hometvnet.com

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  1:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the heads up Don. If someone can send me the cover graphic, song list, etc, I'll add it to the video section for reviews. Otherwise, I'll add it when I get a copy. Looking forward to it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  4:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Bruce!
For those reading this going....huh?

I believe they are referring to Keoki Kahumoku, guitarist extraordinare. Very gifted and funny performer as well. Keoeki also has a very special presence with students. This guys very good folks, and if Bruce did the production, then those traits will come across in the tape.

Now....will it be available on DVD for those of us who are TV-less?

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  02:29:38 AM  Show Profile
I've had the kick of being around Keoki for three workshops now, twice at Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camps and once at George Kahumoku's workshop on Maui. He is not only talented, but funny and sincere as well. While teaching along with ukulele player Herb Otha Jr., the two had us laughing and singing and learning the songs in an unforgettable manner. I will be sure to get this video. And thanks, Bruce. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  03:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I picked up a copy of the video at the meeting tonight and got a quick look at it. It's aimed at slack key beginners, although any player who wants to solidify their foundation or brush up on their chords/picking patterns/etc. will do well by it.
However, I must warn Julie that Keoki is talented and sincere in the video, but very serious (I think he almost smiles twice). You'll have to rely on memories for the laughter!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000