Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 The future of Traditional Hawaiian Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  4:16:13 PM  Show Profile
The only way to keep the music alive is to interest the young folks in the music. The Domingo `Ohana has done just that. Please look at these adorable pictures of Duke's granddaughter, Cheyenne. You can see that even though she is not yet two years old, she has great form with the `ukulele, she knows how to hold it properly and to form some chords. She could be the next Raiatea! Duke is making sure his grandbabies are raised the right way! She is a doll!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  8:25:50 PM  Show Profile
"He requested we play songs like "Hawaii '78"
"Noho Pai Pai" "Koke'e" "Wahine Ilikea" "Ku'u Home O' Kahalu'u" and this boy is 15 years old.
He wants to learn more ukulele and I'll help him with that. . . . "

Sounds like me when I was dat age :)(wow...13 years ago.. time flies... sheesh)

"Side note: He tried to play "Ku'u Home O' Kahalu'u"
in standard tuning on the guitar!!"

I neva realize it wasn't standard tuning until I saw Uncle Jerry playin' um live a couple months ago.

I just hope my son takes to Hawaiian music too. He is almost 5 months now and seems to enjoy when grandpa and I play for him. :)

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  12:01:11 AM  Show Profile
I think if you make the music a part of the normal family life, the kids will pick it up just like any other fundamental skill they learn. I do not mean that they will learn to play the guitar or `ukulele, but they will develop a love for music. That has to come first. Then, if they hear the traditional music, sung in Hawaiian, that will become the norm, as well. How excited Paul and I were when we went to Native Books Hawai`i and there was a little 4 or 5 year old girl listening to music through the head phones they have where you can sample the music before you buy it. The little girl was dancing around and singing along with the music. "Papalina Lahilahi". First of all it was swell because such a tiny one knew the song, secondly she obviously enjoyed it and thirdly, she could sing along in Hawaiian, so she very obviously had been exposed to the music often enough that she knew what she was listening to. As they get to be teenagers, they very well may move away from anything they learned at hom. You know how teenagers are. But I'll bet you anything, when they wax nostalgic, they will remember the good feelings that music evoked and will return to their roots. That is, if you have planted the seeds.

Anyone who plays traditional Hawaiian music should accept it as a kuleana to pass on the music to at least one person. Find someone to mentor, to teach, even if it is not iin your `ohana. If you do not speak the language, take classes. Learn the language. That is a kuleana as well. Read up on the stories of the gods and goddesses from long ago. Learn the history. The songs will then make much more sense to you. That is also a kuleana.

This is probably not a politically correct thing to say as well, but I am going to say it anyway -- if you are Hawaiian in any quantum, be proud enough of your heritage to want to know and understand it and to pass it on to the future generations. This haoeles may have done Hawaiians wrong, and taken many things from the Hawaiians, but at least be proud enough of your heritage to speak the language, play the music, sing the songs and tell the stories. They cannot take your pride away. Only you can do that.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  03:06:26 AM  Show Profile
"The haoles may have done Hawaiians wrong, and taken many things from the Hawaiians,"

As long as we are being politically incorrect, I would mention that "the haoles" did less wrong to the Hawaiians than to most other peoples they encountered- take us Native Americans, for example. Never heard "The only good Hawaiian is a dead Hawaiian".

And frankly, it was the ali'i who did all the taking from the people- then they sold it to the haoles for fair market value. Not until the U.S. Government took the crown lands ws there any actual taking from the Hawaiians- and that was only from a single family. No one in Hawai'i wants to blame the much honored ali'i, but if you study your history you will see that they royally screwed the commoners- pun intended.

The real crime of the haoles was the supression of the culture- although, again, it was with the strong support of the ali'i. By the time it became official, such as forbidding speaking Hawaiian, much had been lost already. And what was done in Hawai'i pales in comparison to what was done to my people. At least the introduction of disease there was "accidental"- they didn't give you blankets infected with smallpox.

The bottom line is that blaming someone else is pointless- we all have the ability to claim our culture and our land. Problem is, no one wants to live in the Hawaiian culture- from the first days of the introducion of Christianity to today, Hawaiians have been eager to see who could become just like the haoles the quickest.

Even a small ohana could pool their resources and purchase an ahupua'a, then go back to living traditionally- we did it. But even if they could work together this way, who wants to?

Blaming others for your situation will get you nowhere, we are all responsible for our own situation in life. Work together as ohana and as a people to reclaim your heritage, instead of wasting your energy on pointless and generally incorrect blame. The heart of a culture is the land base- pool your resources and buy back any large tracts of land that come on the market. If you can't work together; if you would rather buy that new truck- well, there is no hope for you, and no one to blame but yourselves.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  06:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Staying briefly off-topic: It's easier to place blame from the perspective of a hundred years later, too. ALL cultures participate in behaviors that seem acceptable at the time, but appear to be criminal behavior with the passage of time.

What are we doing today that will be judged harshly down the road? (Don't answer that - I'm asking hypothetically.) If you think forward to how you will be judged by future generations, you may find that you adjust your behavior accordingly.

Getting back on-topic: I'm not familiar with Kaniala Masoe; thanks for the heads up, Duke. Taimane Gardner is another one to watch. Anyone remember how, just a few years ago, we were talking about "new" faces such as Brittni Paiva, Herb Ohta, Jr. & Keoki Kahumoku? This path doesn't appear to be in danger of fading out any time soon.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  09:16:35 AM  Show Profile
Faith Ako, Napua Grieg, Hoku Zuttermiester, Steven Espaniola, Kalae Miles, Na Kama, etc, etc. They are out there. We just need to support them, by buying their CDs ,going to their concerts and playing thier music so that others can hear them.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  09:27:36 AM  Show Profile
wcerto:"I think if you make the music a part of the normal family life, the kids will pick it up just like any other fundamental skill they learn. I do not mean that they will learn to play the guitar or `ukulele, but they will develop a love for music...."

I hope so Aunty, that is all I could ever want. :) I do wish I could pass on more to my son in regards to language and culture. :(

ypochris: "As long as we are being politically incorrect, I would mention that "the haoles" did less wrong to the Hawaiians than to most other peoples they encountered-..."

You know, I heard the same sentiment expressed from my bro-in-law's father this past Sunday. To preface, he is a local Hawaiian man, Kamehameha graduate, proud of his heritage and all around knowledgeable guy but he feels as if the royal family preceeding statehood did not act in Hawaiian's best interest (as a result of European influence).

The sad truth is that I don't know enough about history to agree or disagree... (Aunty W: I guess I have to work on that ). :(

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  09:51:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ypochris

"The only good Hawaiian is a dead Hawaiian".

Chris

That cause the Hawaiian nevah shoot back. If they did they would have been slaughtered by the marines that landed. Cannon aimed at ʻIolani
palace was bad enough.

No such thing as not as bad. Bad is bad and when colonialism destroys a culture and eliminates the right to self rule it is still bad.

Not all disease was accidental. Man get it RIGHT. The horny sailors from Cookʻs ships carried syphillis all over the Pacific. Think they cared who they slept with? That was no accident. As a result nearly half the Hawaiian population succumbed within one yearʻs time. Every inch of the Hawaiian chain was infected. One cannot make relative statements about what happened to First People and Hawaiians it was all bad and donʻt sugar coat it!

I agree the Moʻi did not do so good. But consider they were trying to survive . France already took Tahiti and Hawaiʻi did not want to suffer the same fate. I believe western advisors misled the Aliʻi so the down fall was inevitable. You know, good old machiavellian manipulation by traitors in the ranks.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/17/2008 10:04:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  11:29:12 AM  Show Profile
The point I am trying to make, though, is that if you are Hawaiian and feel you are deficient when it comes to language or history knowledge, then it is not too late to do something about it. Do what I do. Read. I buy so many books about Hawaiian history, myths, tales, folk stories, etc. I just sit and read the dictionary sometimes. I read the words to the songs. Sometimes I just peruse huapal.org, reading the words to songs, whether I am familiar with the song or not. Start out by reading Michener's Hawai`i. It is a fiction book, but learned scholar Wayne Chang told me that the book was very accurate when it came to the overall history, it was just fleshing it out to make it a good story that is where the ficftion comes in. I challenge anyone who has not read it to do so, and then let's talk. After that I would get Gavan Dawes "Shoal of Time". Also Herb Kane's book, I can't off the top of my head remember the name. But also, plenty of other stories like Kalakaua`s Hawaiian Myths & Legends. The Queen's Story. and on and on and on. There is enough reading to keep you busy the rest of your life. Oh, and don't forget Ho`opono by Pali Jae Lee. Even our music friend Lono has read that book and highly recommends it.

Once you read even one of these books, you will see how the music fits in. It is a significant part of the history and culture.

Learn the language. How can anyone talk about sovereignty and not want to wpeak the language of the land? Learn the history so you no have to be ashamed you don't know what the ali`i did. No one party is blameless in the things that happened to the Hawaiians or to the First People or to the Irish chased out of Ireland or whoever has been trod upon or oppressed. But that is pau. Time to move on instead of wallowing in woulda shoulda coulda.

An easy way to get youth interested in their history and culture is through music and dance. And the cool thing about Hawaiian music and history is that the hula tells the stories. We do not have anything like that in my culture, nothing to tell the story, only the words of the song. Dance is just movement in my culture. Just moving for the sake of moving, to enjoy the music, not to interpret the music, to help remember how to tell the story.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  8:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I read John Berger's Music column every Friday to see what new albums have been released and it seems like there is hardly any traditional Hawaiian, mostly Jawaiian and pop stuff. I haven't bought any Hawaiian albums in a long time. I have enough Jawaiian and really don't want any more of it.

A lot of the artists I like haven't recorded in ages.

Makaha Sons - what are they up to?
Olomana hasn't recorded anything new in ages
Frank Kawai Hewett - haven't heard anything new from him
Gary Haleamau
Dennis Kamakahi
Wonder if Haunani Apoliona will ever do a new one?
Pandanus Club - are they still together?
Ho'okena - anyone know if they're recording again?

I have a big Hawaiian collection but it's all vinyl. Wish I had some of it on CD or in MP3.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Edited by - LovinLK on 06/17/2008 8:48:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  05:28:37 AM  Show Profile
As I have said on other occasions, Barry Kimokeo.MHO, will be the guitar great of the next generation. For `ukulele, there are Herb, Jr., Jake, Brittni.

Who do you envision as the future of steel guitar? I am not aware of any specific young person coming up who will have the skills of Bobby Ingano or the legacyof Feet Rogers. Who is to come?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Who do you envision as the future of steel guitar? I am not aware of any specific young person coming up who will have the skills of Bobby Ingano or the legacy of Feet Rogers.

What about Paul Kim? Jack, wanna weigh in on this one?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah -- Paulie. Duh. How could I forget. He sounds so very much like Feet Rogers, if you ask me. But I am not sure how old he is. I am certain he is younger than me, though. He's a nice gentleman, too.

Here is Paulie from our visit to Honey's last year.
When he was playing with that CUTE Ocean Kaowili dem.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Oh, yeah -- Paulie. Duh. How could I forget. He sounds so very much like Feet Rogers, if you ask me. But I am not sure how old he is. I am certain he is younger than me, though. He's a nice gentleman, too.

Here is Paulie from our visit to Honey's last year.
When he was playing with that CUTE Ocean Kaowili dem.

Paul is one of the "Byrd's Nest", along with Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, Casey Olsen and Owana Salazar, all in their mid 40's I believe. Thumbs & I first saw him playing with the New Sons of Hawaii at Honey's. He blew me away! He sang in falsetto (very, very well) while playing harmonic fills on the steel! I met him again at the HSGA convention in Waikiki in April 2007. He told me he hung around Feets some, as well. He started as a falsetto singer, but after seeing Greg Sardinha play, he decided that he wanted to do that, too, and took Greg's advice and went to Jerry Byrd for lessons.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Who do you envision as the future of steel guitar? I am not aware of any specific young person coming up who will have the skills of Bobby Ingano or the legacyof Feet Rogers. Who is to come?

Here's a young steel player not mentioned so far. Jeff Au Hoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW5OpAqlfF4&feature=related

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000