Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Cheating at The Pump
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  08:23:38 AM  Show Profile
KDen. I got this email the other day. After reading it I wondered how many people actually think this way! Whoo! Read thru this and then, at the bottom, see if you thought what I did.
quote:
CHEATING AT THE PUMP

On April 24, 2008, I stopped at a Kangaroo BP gas station, located at
1325 Main Street , Cartersville , GA. My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 per gallon.
When my tank is at this point, it takes somewhere around 14 gallon's to fill it up. When the pump showed 14 gallons had been pumped I began to slow it down, then to my surprise it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under my truck to see if it was being spilled. It was not. Then it showed 17 gallons had been pumped. It stopped at almost 18 gallons.

This was very strange to me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank.

I went on my way a little confused, then on the evening news I heard a report that 1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show more gas had been pumped than a person actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:

Which ever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank, then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged. In my case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19. If I had only check the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas, please check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the COMMISSIONER OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES IN YOUR AREA

Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all your friends. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of customers. The gas companies are making enough profit at current rates.

Eh Bra! Wen U use da pump to tell you to pump EXACTLY 10 gallons, it allas gonna say 10 gallons an ten times da price. Buchoo akchally ony get 9 gallons gas! Dis ONE BRITE BUGGAH! Den He goansen da email all ova da country. Das even bettah! Now da hoah country know you ONE BRITE BUGGAH!

Of course, if you bring along two calibrated 5 gallon gas cans and fill to exactly 10 gallons you can check it. I am sure we all have two calibrated gas cans laying around to do this

Bu Den he prolly foget to put da gas in da cah.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  1:16:21 PM  Show Profile
I do not know about Kaleponi, but Ohio gotta have the pumps calibrated periodically then any access or adjustment screws, etc., must be sealed. Also must have da County Recorder's sticker/seal put on the pump.

But I'm thinking if you check the mileage you are getting, even periodically, you would be able to figure x amount of miles driven divided by x amount of gallons of gas = mpg. If it is way out of line, you would know. I hope nobody is that clueless. Even I would know if I was getting ripped off that way. I just heard on the news today that the gas station guys get 1 cent profit per gallon. No wonder all the gas stations sell Twinkies and Ho-hos.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  4:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Mika ele has it right- of course 10 gallons of gas is going to register at the price times ten. But the pump can in fact be adjusted to pump less than a gallon when registering a gallon.

I remember being surprised one time at the Andrade gas station in Honoka'a when I put over six gallons in a five gallon gas container and it still wasn't full. I complained to the number on the sticker on the pump, but when I went back over a month later that five gallon can still held over six gallons of gas. Didn't go back to the station until it changed hands. Even tried the container at another station to make sure it wasn't the container that was made too big, but five gallons filled it right up. No idea why there was no enforcement; perhaps it was just on "Hawaiian time".

So yes, it does happen...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  10:14:50 AM  Show Profile
hmmmm....
wonder if enforcement is influenced by "other factors" greasey other factors

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000