Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 New Indiana Jones movie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Me and Pa do not get out to movin pitchas very often. It is because there are very few I choose to see. I think last one may have been "A Mighty Wind".

But, aside from that CUTE Ocean Kaowili, well, I guess you could figure out how I feel about Harrison Ford. (Hey, he's a good actor, you dirty minded old buggahs).

Is it a rehash of the other Indy movies or is this worth forking out the kala to see on the big screen?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  1:00:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a hard time sitting still to watch movies (I always think I should be doing something more productive) but I enjoyed this one. I could have done without the bugs, but I think it was worth the matinee admission we paid.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

I have a hard time sitting still to watch movies (I always think I should be doing something more productive) but I enjoyed this one. I could have done without the bugs, but I think it was worth the matinee admission we paid.

Me too! My wife and I took our two grandkids to see it and we enjoyed it too. Not as good as the first, but then they never are in my opinion. Probably has to do with expectations.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha!

Everybody that I've talked to has said that they loved it, but my 'ohana and I saw it and were all bored out of our minds.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  3:50:57 PM  Show Profile
It was all right. Not good, not bad. Fairly entertaining but the plot was lame.

Plot detail that bothered me- could one of you hunters please take some gunpowder and see if it is attracted to a magnet? I always thought it was composed of sulpher, charcoal, and potassium nitrate- at least that is what I made my firecrackers with as a kid. What would they add to make it magnetic?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Iʻve heard mixed reviews. My brother told me it was one of the worst movies he'd ever seen. Also, told me that it is so bad and ridiculous that I should go see it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  4:52:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ypochris

Plot detail that bothered me- could one of you hunters please take some gunpowder and see if it is attracted to a magnet? I always thought it was composed of sulpher, charcoal, and potassium nitrate- at least that is what I made my firecrackers with as a kid. What would they add to make it magnetic?

Chris

I think sometimes they add iron filings to gunpowder, but usually for the stuff they use for fireworks displays. I think that is how they get different colors. I may be wrong on this.

I enjoyed the movie. It's just pure escapism no more no less.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Well I have to remember that I'm on a polite board here so I will not make my usual statement about this movie. Instead, I'll quote John Lovitz:

"IT STINKS!!!!!"

The amount of voluntary suspension of disbelief required to get through this think is an order of magnitude higher than an evening out at a WWE smackdown. The mistakes made in continuity and historical accuracy are rampant.

I had to really work to even try to be entertained by this one.
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  7:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
I knew going in not have that high expectations, but it is worth the dinero to go see on the big screen. Better than most of the other stuff that big budget Hollywood puts out that's for sure. Of course, who couldn't love seeing Indy again!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  9:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm a huge fan of the first and third Indiana Jones movies and have to say that I was disappointed with this one...as others have mentioned there was just too much suspension of belief required.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile
Aunty: Is it just me or do you have a crush on Mr. Kaowili?

The newest Indy was kind of cheesy, but fun.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile
We haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't know what kind of gunpowder they may have been using, but the kind made with charcoal, sulpher and potasium nitrate is called Black Powder and is the primitive stuff we use for historical reenactments. It passed out of real common use for cartrige guns around 1900,when Smokeless Gunpowder invented. Smokeless is made from nitrocellulose. Iron isn't normally a part of either for firearm use, but iron, copper,and other metals are added to fireworks for the colors they produce. I'm not sure if fireworks use Smokeless or Black. Did the stuff in the movie make a huge smoke cloud?
Chris, don't make home made fireworks. You'll shoot your eye out.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 06/20/2008 11:49:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  12:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

We haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't know what kind of gunpowder they may have been using, but the kind made with charcoal, sulpher and potasium nitrate is called Black Powder and is the primitive stuff we use for historical reenactments. It passed out of real common use for cartrige guns around 1900,when Smokeless Gunpowder invented. Smokeless is made from nitrocellulose. Iron isn't normally a part of either for firearm use, but iron, copper,and other metals are added to fireworks for the colors they produce. I'm not sure if fireworks use Smokeless or Black. Did the stuff in the movie make a huge smoke cloud?
Chris, don't make home made fireworks. You'll shoot your eye out.
Paul

This would have been powder obtained by prying the slugs off of bullets. The bullets would have been of Soviet manufacture circa 1947. The idea then goes on to hypothecate that such powder would be attracted to a strong magnetic field.

Hopefully that won't be too much of a spoiler.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bbenzel

This would have been powder obtained by prying the slugs off of bullets. The bullets would have been of Soviet manufacture circa 1947. The idea then goes on to hypothecate that such powder would be attracted to a strong magnetic field.
They also were seen pouring some from a hand-grenade (pineapple-style, not potato masher-type).
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile
A crush? Who, me? On that CUTE Ocean Kaowili? Nah, old married lady, 36 years Paul and I have been together. Just looking. Just looking. Gotta appreciate beauty whenever you find it in the world, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  3:50:51 PM  Show Profile
anybody else - why is this post here?
one of the reasons I seldom look anymore.
In fact, I'm thinking of a post on
the most recent advances in regional integrated transportation and
land use modeling. There! I said it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000