Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Other music genres you love?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  01:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Did any of you answer "Liverpool?" Nope, London.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  06:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Retro - how do you & Momi store all that music? I am running out of places to put the music. Any storage and organization tips would be most appreciated.
In our small one-bedroom condo? As efficiently as possible. The vinyl is on simple wooden shelving that covers one wall between the living room and the bedroom. Most of the CDs are in really cool pro storage units that I bought from a factory in Canada (check 'em out here: http://www.can-am.ca/); but that still doesn't hold them all.

Edited by - Retro on 07/03/2008 06:19:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  06:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Did any of you answer "Liverpool?" Nope, London.

Actually, I suspect most of us were thinking specifically of EMI Studios (later named Abbey Road Studios, after the Beatles album of that name came out) in the St. John's Wood area of what is technically the City of Westminster, a borough of London.

But that's just the music-trivia geek in me talking.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  12:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Another one of my favorite tunes from another genre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcSnqiRFFS4

I WISH I could buy the video of the complete "Transatlantic Sessions" that this clip came from, because it also included many good Irish musicians, such as Mary Black and, Donnal Lunny, along with Emmylou Harris and some other "Nashvillians"

(There seems to be a PAL version DVD occaisonally available in Europe, but I do not wish to do the PAL to NTSC conversion myself)

I just wish they would re-issue the whole thing in HD (not likely).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/04/2008 07:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  08:06:10 AM  Show Profile
My second (used to be first) music love is bluegrass - especially that of Clarence White playing acoustic (he also played electric with the Byrds). It's a shame he was killed so young (29).

http://tinyurl.com/6ap7ku

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Gamilan from Indonesia, spelling is mine and is probably wrong. All forms of jazz and blues and some American music. (O Brother Where Art Thou kind stuff) No ranking, I love it when I hear it. There used to be a Brit collection that I lost called ʻBlues Anthologyʻ Eric Clapton in his 20ʻs Jimmy Paige at sixteen John Mayall when you could say John who? and so forth.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 07/04/2008 08:59:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  11:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
Um... classical, opera, blues, gospel, motown, surf, rock, bluegrass... i'm kind of a music junkie.

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Everything from Glenn Miller to present day stuff like Black eyed Peas and everything
in between.There's beautiful music in every genre why set parameters? I like all
kinds & think it's healthy. Doesn't make me love Hawaiian music any less.It's like
when you have multiple children.You can love one child with every ounce of your
being,but somehow it does not take away anything from how much you love the next
child.

Aloha
Braddah Duke

Bruddah..I nevah figga you fo one Glenn Miller guy. But you not alone...I get couplefew CD from Glenn Miller too. An ZZ Top, Kenny Rankin, Ka Leo O Kalani, Pound fo Pound, Jarret Helm...az what us Moloka`i guyz knowed him by. No waz George...dat waz his faddah. George waz Jarret.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Didn't know that about "Jarrett" George Helm. One very talented and very
heroic Hawaiian.

Aloha
Braddah Duke

While at St. Louis, he studied under Kumu Lake and if you notice, there is a lot of the Kahauanu Lake Trio in his style, 'cuz he went "Da Udda School on da Hill."

Bruddah Jarret could shoot one basketball too...We used to play 31 at Kaunakakai Gym...Hooo dat gym was one sweatbox. We had to pile up on Jarret early in da game, 'cuz once he wen sink one basket, he was goin' put in 29 free throws in a row and dump all us! No mo even chance for rebound...he not goin miss once he get to da line!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile
I dig instrumentals: gypsy jazz, world music, classical music. For vocals I prefer opera. Dasz how it be, Brah!!

Herb
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  05:22:57 AM  Show Profile
My Dad played piano accordion, Scandinavian style, then got into a group of Austrians, so I like accordion based stuff.
I play diatonic (harmonka in Europe), so:
Scandinavian,
Alpine-Cerman, Swiss, Austrian / Slovenian (Oberkrainer), Tejano and Norteno,
I play mandolin so--Blugrass
Dobro- old style Country, esp Jimmy Rogers
Guitar- Slack Key, Ragtime, Big Band, Oldtime

Like Jack said, good and bad!
Some Rap can be good, it's just "Talking Blues" but I can get along very well without the anger and swagger and "attitude", thank you.

Acoustic over electric (he says, with Fishmans and Sennheisers etc in the wooden instruments).
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  7:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:

Count Basie,Duke Ellington,Tommy Dorsey the rest of the "Big Band Era"
Thanks to Jimmy Stewart & the movie "The Glenn Miller Story" which I
always watch when it reruns on TV. Elvis Pressley fan through his movies too.

Count me in as another Big Band fan. BTW Duke, is your member name by any chance a nod of the hat to Ellington via Stevie Wonder?!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/06/2008 7:10:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  8:50:46 PM  Show Profile
SWING
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  07:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:

I'm a life long fan of Stevie Wonder and that song you're referring to actually is how I got my user name,but Braddah Jay is the one that
christened me that.

Songs in the Key of Life was either the first or second LP I owned.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000