Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Aunty Diana Aki - Kalihi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  8:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Although I missed Aunty Diana Aki at the recent San Jose Tahiti Fett, my brother was able to catch her at the Doubletree Hotel in San Jose. She has a new CD out "Kalihi" and my brother was able to pick one up. Havenʻt seen it available at the usual internet sites.
Iʻll admit my bias, as she was one of the kumus at Keokiʻs winter camp at Pahala. I was lucky to spend some one on one time with her. And since then Iʻve been getting any recorded tracks she has on other artistsʻ CDs and compilations.
So anyway I was thrilled to hear her CD. If youʻre a fan itʻs one to look for and get.
(Has a great cover with her smiling face that brings back my memories of her warm aloha)

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  01:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Genaro - plese ask Sil da Trill where we can get 'em? Oh, how I would love to have the CD. Please see this week's posting of You Tube Delights for a small glimpse of Auntie Diana Aki.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  08:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Wanda,
Sil bought CD from Aunty Diana at her performance at Doubletree. Looking at the notes I see its produced by her for Songbird Productions, Hilo, Hawaii 96720. I Googled but didnʻt see anything about distribution. Donʻt know CDʻs availability. Hopefully usual internet outlet will have them soon.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  07:26:10 AM  Show Profile
I spoke with Diana last night -- her new CD will be added to the MELE.COM inventory next week. Uiha!!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile
Uiha is right!
Auntie Maria - I going be sending you some $$$ so da mele man can come to my house.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Eh - chrai watch dis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3kIsPWllbM - Don't get much better. Aunty Diana singing at Miloli`i with Iz. At the end after she is finished singing La `Elima, Iz says, "OK, now I can die." The lady can SING. Now that is a voice I could aspire to. Not technically perfect like an opera singer, but full of strength and wisdom and history and mana. I think her voice could be the voice of Hawai`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  6:59:40 PM  Show Profile
CD -- with soundclips -- is now posted to MELE.COM "New Releases" section. She's definitely still "the songbird of Miloli`i". Here's the songlist for "Kalihi":

1. Nani Hulihe`e
2. Down the Suse
3. Pani`au Hula
4. I Love You Hilo
5. Medley
* `O Ka Lei La`i
* Pua Karauna
6. He Wahine Maoli I Kaplilua
7. Moanike`alaonapuamakahikina
8. More
9. Iwalani
10. I Ali`i No `Oe
11. Medley
* Aloha `Ino
* Hale Moa
12. `Opelu
13. Leo Nahenahe
14. Kona Sunset
15. Hilo Hanakahi
16. Someone to Me
17. Clouds of Memories

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  05:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Were were very happy to have the mele man come visit us and drop of some great music. It is awesome to be able to listen to a whole album of Aunty Diana. First of all, the liner notes are invaluable to me. Most of these are songs that are not widely recorded. Some are Aunty's own compositions and some are those of other friends from Miloli`i. It is so nice to be able to read why she chose to include each of these songs on the recording, as well as to read the story behind the song. Thank you Aunty for sharing your mana`o.

One song really touched me. That is Iwalani. It was written when Aunty was hapai with her first child. She wanted a daughter very badly. Turns out she has given birth to seven sons. Nani Hulihe`e brings beauty and grace to a song befitting royalty. Hilo Hanakahi helps you to feel the love that Aunty has for the place; Leo Nahenahe is a precious remembrance of the composer's Tutu. Her beautiful and versatile voice bring honor to all the songs that she so carefully chose to include in this recording. She is Diana Aki and she is Hawaiian.

This disc belongs in the collection of anyone who loves traditional Hawaiian music. Be thankful that we have someone with the depth and breadth to give us a glimpse of the na`au of Hawai`i.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000