Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Who knows the secret?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  2:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha everyones,
Any of you know the secret recipe for Hana Bars??
If not, I'll strike out on my own in the kitchen. Or wait til we get back home in the islands.

Bwop

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  9:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Are you talking about those awful desserty things that CJ has on a huge platter after dinner?

You know, that CJ likes a hearty beer like Heineken or such, try to ply him with that...

Oh, I'm glad I don't have that recipe, I would be over 200 lbs! And I'm only 5 feet tall. Pua'a!

Eh Bwop, howzit? How's retirement?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
e Julie, aloha mai!
Das da buggah I'm talkin' about! Is it really only CJ that controls the world's supply of Hana Bars?? In a way, I'm glad. It could mean a senseless ruin for countless waistlines if the recipe got out.
"Retirement" is just a fancy way of saying "unemployed". I stay way too busy. Hardest ting now is trying to sell one house so's we can get settled in Hawai'i. Every week our realtor tells us "Drop another $100,000!". It wouldn't be such a pilikia if they knew about housing price decline in Hawai'i.
Going to see George tonight. Miss you guys big kine.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  07:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha ho e Julie,
Actually, my Retirement itself was a blast. Children from a span of 40 years of teaching came back to give me an incredible send-off. Sort of, "Goodbye, Mr. Crack Seed". Check out http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=8295 and http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_9499244 . Thinking of you guys at the sea wall.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi bwop,

i try to avoid those hana bars because they're too darn good. but, there's a reason they've won the "best of lahaina" award... when i have had one, they remind me a lot of a riff on nanaimo bars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar). perhaps it's the tooth-cracking sweetness, but check them out and see if you agree.

i just read your send-off articles. we met this june at george's camp at the opening night dinner, but i didn't realize who you were. i lived in palo alto when working on my phd, and had heard of your preschool... you are going to be missed...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  06:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha mai e Keith,
Nanaimo bars look too ono! Maybe countries shouldn't have "sister cities" as much as "sister sinful sweets". (What would Antacrtica offer-- shave ice?). Why I started this thread in the middle of a month long cleansing diet beats me.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  08:07:27 AM  Show Profile
Hoo-ee, buddy. Does that ever look good. I wen check out da recipes. One of these days when I gonna be very very bad, I will make the recipe. I can feel the arteries hardening already and da blood sugar shooting tru da roof. Sure looks ono. Az y hahd.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  1:48:35 PM  Show Profile
I remember years ago when Nanaimo bars crossed the border. They were ubiquitous as latte stands here on the wet side of the mountains. Taken in MODERATION, they imparted a euphoria punctuated by a crash in sugar later. 'Liscious, though.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  07:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Bwop

Why I started this thread in the middle of a month long cleansing diet beats me.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone else!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
I remember years ago when Nanaimo bars crossed the border.
I had my first nanaimo bar in - ta-daa! - nanaimo! they're easy to make. i think if you add some shredded coconut and some macadamia nuts, you'll be getting close to a hana bar, but it's been awhile since i had a hana bar.

we'll be back on maui in early september, and so we'll do some field research...

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  05:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Craig,
Touche, touche. Mea culpa. Ass why!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page