Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 The other side of slack
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmyandthesharks
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  6:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimmyandthesharks's Homepage
Do you like ducks?

How about about ping pong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXNxOLkePs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLXA5j2Dn1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2x6QNdJc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgAO5_iA_1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t828FY5D4y0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh-2Gy9XpDw

Love Jimmy

kimo

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  05:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This has nothing to do with slack key instruction, slack key, Hawaiian music, or anything else having to do with this site (although I actually like the music). Andy, can you delete this thread?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  06:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
...or perhaps move it to the all-purpose "Talk Story" section?
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  10:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I checked out his myspace site listed in his profile. He actually has a couple of nice slack key songs to listen to. Just because of that... I say we cut him some "slack". Or not.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile
One thing folks here on Taro Patch are not deficient in is aloha. If you do not like the music, that is OK. No one is forced to click on any you tube link, right? And just think, you may be able to turn someone from the dark side.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  1:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
As I said in my original post, I like the music. I also like the slack key stuff he has posted on MySpace. I'd love to see him post a video of the MySpace tracks. But I don't think that these ones belong on TP.net for the reasons I gave above, especially given that this is his only post so far. (At the very least the post needs to be moved to "Talk Story".)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  2:21:15 PM  Show Profile
check out his CD here http://cdbaby.com/cd/jpregan

After successfully touring with the rock band “St. Laurent,” James returned to his acoustic guitar roots. Schooled by Slack Key masters Keola Beamer and John Keawe, James recently began on an inspirational journey, setting out to bring the Slack Key guitar style to a broader more global audience, with a more "urban" feel. The result is "Urban Slack", a melodic and soothing sound that invites the listener to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Offering robust undertones, interlaced with intricate enrapturing melodies, Urban Slack is sure to satisfy the listener’s cupidity for sounds that inspire and mentally unbind. In his spare time James farms in the Napa valley with his wife and two children. He now spends time between Napa, Nashville and the Napali coast of Kaua’i. James Patrick Regan uses George L's cables exclusively (www.georgels.com), and is endorsed by Bogner Amplification (www.bogneramplification.com) James Patrick Regan and Urban Slack are the sound of Pure Stock Racing, check it out www.purestock.tv

James would like to thank his family his wife Anita for her love and support, his kids Hailey and Nic. His brother Dan for the push, Bob St. Laurent (I got a record first!) for his friendship.

Also special thanks to KVYN and Dangerous Downtown Ron Brown and Kellie in the morning, Jon Nae'ole for introducing me to Gabby, Expression Digital Arts College, Jeff at Brainwash, Daniel "Barn" Cantrell, Jeff "Chango" Craft, Mark Tate, Keola Beamer, John Keawe, J o r g at Bogner Amplification, George L's cables, Rosanne, Angela and Richard at the W Silicon Valley, Darcey Lewis at Live Nation, Rich Rachel for all the help with the amps, George Silvers for the sound, Sean Sanders, Bradley for the help, and so many more including most likely you..........

To find out more about James Patrick Regan and Urban Slack, and for tour dates go to urbanslack dot com, or visit him on MySpace

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  3:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Now THAT should have been his original post! (Either in "Recording Announcements & Reviews" or "Introduce Yourself".)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2008 :  1:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
James came to one of the first Aloha Music Camps, back in the Kalani days. He kept a very low profile and downplayed his ability.

Keola and I nicknamed him "Smiley" cuz he was always grinning. In fact if you go to the "contacts" page on the Aloha Camp Website, he's the one grinning at the back the pool.

OK, so one day I chanced upon Cindy Combs giving him some private time. Hoo boy, could he play guitar. He shrugged it off and said he was still learning.

I later found out he was in this big deal band-- who I had to admit I'd never heard of. (OK, I'm an old fogie ..... errrr, folkie.)

He brought his family to camp at Kaupoa, too. He is quite serious about his study of slack key.

I applaud the fact that, rather than simply re-creating a traditional sounding CD, he has stepped out and created something new that speaks about who he is and where he's been.

And what's this about Ducks playing Ping Pong???

Go Jimmy, Go!

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  09:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Yeah Mark, I think he was at the 05 music camp at Kaupoa too. I remember is son (who was playing with my kids at camp) told me that his dad was a "rock star." Well, I guess this proves it!

As Mark said, "Go Jimmy, Go!"

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  1:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
wow!

thank you for pulling this up, james! i remember you really well from camp, come back. i think that the nickname "smiley" fits better than "thor", but looking at the clips, maybe not... i really like what you're trying to do with slack key.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 07/28/2008 1:44:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

jimmyandthesharks
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  06:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit jimmyandthesharks's Homepage
Hey everybody!

Thanks for the wonderful comments, you all are too kind!

I realize this may be off topic again, but...

This Thursday, I'm playing my "Urban Slack" stuff at a wine bar in Benicia, CA called the First Street Cafe, it has a very chill atmosphere.

And if you happen to like the surf videos....

We'll be in Southern California over the weekend.

We're playing at Magic Mountain on Friday 8/8/08 3:PM and 4:PM and on through the evening,

and the Real Surf Shop in Oceanside in the afternoon on Saturday 8/9.

Finally, at the Purple Orchid Tiki Bar in El Segundo at 10:PM in the evening Saturday.

In NorCal we'll (the Surf band) be at the W hotel Silicon Valley on Thursday 8/14. (there is usually free pupu's)

I'd love to see any slacker's (old or new friends)!!!

Aloha, Jimmy

kimo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000